PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Hagar at Worlds Aug. 4th

Damage Inc
July 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM
For those of you who are looking for something to do Friday nite after the 800 free, Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas will be at the Shoreline Amplitheatre (sp) just down the road from Palo Alto.
The general admission tickets for the lawn (in the back) are $10, killer deal! Sammy puts on a great show that is like one big party with lots of dancing on the lawn. If you like your R n R hard and loud, see you there.:cool:

aquageek
July 24th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Sammy "One Hit Wonder" Van Hagar? I got a free ticket to one of his solo shows when I bought a big gulp recently. Is he the opening act for Billy Squire and .38 Special still?

BillS
July 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM
He had a hit?

I saw him open for Boston in Chicago in 1977ish, the Can't Drive 55 era. Or did he open for Chicago in Boston? It was the 70's, after all.

Based on my hazy concert memories, and the insufferable Van Halen experiment (although I did gain a much deeper appreciation for Diamond Dave after hearing Sammy), I wouldn't even throw down for a BigGulp to get tickets.

A.K.
July 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
The guy is a true rocker .... and besides he has a delectable beverage company to boot.... Cabo Wabo.
Cabo Wabo (http://www.cabowabo.com/)

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Sorry Geek and Bill, I almost stirred you in the wrong direction. Sounds like you are in need of more than "one hits". Ill get back on Ticketmaster and see if I can find when and where Michael Bolton is playing for you.
I assume you no longer listen to real Rockers like Sammy because you would know that He has been putting out killer albums every year or two since leaving VH. As well as selling out concerts. What makes his music and concerts so cool is he isn't tring to make Pop Music that can be spoon fed to the masses and sold at Wal Market, but putting out the kind of hard R n R that he likes and knows will keep people coming to his shows for a good dose of fun. Ill let you know how good the show was.
www.redrocker.com

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Damage Inc
...killer albums...selling out concerts...hard R n R...

When you factor in the service charges from Ticketmaster I suspect the tickets to the Van Hagar show are actually free or come with free Ted Nugent bobblehead dolls.

I think if you asked anyone with a bit of knowledge about rock the following things would immediately be said:

1. Use of the word killer went out of the popular lingo for rock circa 1982.
2. If you compiled a list of legitimate rockers, SV Hagar would probably be about #192, sandwiched between Nelson and Night Ranger.
3. Selling out the Fresno Street Fair/Avocado Fest 2006 while opening for a Boyz 2 Men reunion does not count as selling out a concert.
4. If Sammy Del Halen is hard R n R, then R n R has died, kaput. He's a comedy act and has thrived on that, to his credit.

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Good News, Sammys Album of New music came out today.
http://www.redrocker.com/index.php?s=news_detail&id=107
Im glad I have the day off from work.

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Geek, Dude, please show me the way to some killer, (oops sorry), theBomb type RnR. I have a hard time finding music stations out here on the farm. I did see Crosby Stills Nash and Young on Sunday, it was great except for the three old guys Neil brought up on stage to sing with him. What do you think of Lead Zepplin are they any good, are they still touring?

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Isn't this suppose to be a swimming related site. Please we can agrue all day about this and get no where. On a swimming related note, the Loving Spoonful played at the 1995 Short Course Nationals in Fort Lauderdale and the bass player from the group (Steve Boone) swam in the meet. I believe they sold out the small sqare area of property accross the street from the Hall of Fame pool.

gull
July 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM
You have to understand that the Geek was in a swim diaper when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen. Of course, he still wears one from time to time, but that's another story.

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by gull80
You have to understand that the Geek was in a swim diaper when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen...

Now that's funny, funny like the way in 1982 you got your first AARP membership card and 10% off at Cracker Barrel, but only if you eat before 4:30 pm.

Loving Spoonful - oh good grief. Next thing you know Pigeon43 will advocate paying Don McLean to do the national anthem at next year's Senior Games of NC.

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM
How untimely Worlds are...this weekend you can find Steely Dan playing in nearby San Francisco.

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Frank Thompson
Isn't this suppose to be a swimming related site.

You are so correct Frank. My Original thought was to point out something fun to do while at the Worlds.
Sorry Geek, I cant find where Nelson or Night Ranger is playing, but I will keep looking for you. By the way, I just picked up the new Sammy album and it is KILLER!!!!

Peter Cruise
July 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Barry- the Geek's idea of a musical good time is slapping his knee and blowing into an empty jug while Felix and the Crawdad Wranglers cover old Creedence tunes. Mind you, didn't Sammy use to open for them?

info@randynutt.com
July 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Zep is always brought up when talking about Rock. Robert Plant has been touring and rocking this past year and a half -been to 4 of his recent shows.
I remember seeing him in the 90's at the shoreline -Nobody rocks like Zep and or Robert!
With that said if I was going to worlds I'd see Hagar.

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
You have to understand that the Geek was in a swim diaper when Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen. Of course, he still wears one from time to time, but that's another story.

Gull:

I think you mean Montrose instead of Van Halen. Sammy made his debut on that classic album in 1973 and Sammy was the singer in that band. They had the hit "Rock the Nation" and I read that album influenced bands like Aerosmith and ZZ Top back in the day. He was involved on the second album by Montrose called "Paper Money" and that came out in 1974. Ronnie Montrose still does gigs in the San Francisco area.

Randy Nutt got to experience a sound check of Robert Plant. How lucky. How cool. Maybe they can play some of this music at Warm up during Worlds. You know like Zep, Hager, Van Halen, Steely Dan, and Montrose. And no Don McLean except the song American Pie.

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM
...And no Don McLean except the song American Pie.

Second worst song ever written, behind only "Afternoon Delight."

There are some really good bands out these days in case you ever want to expand your horizons from played out 70s rock.

I like to swim, there, back to swimming.

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM
American Pie is a bit depressing...not sure I would want that playing before I swam my event. AC/DC might be more energizing. Save Steely Dan for the celebratory drinks afterwards.

gull
July 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Gull:

I think you mean Montrose instead of Van Halen. Sammy made his debut on that classic album in 1973 and Sammy was the singer in that band. They had the hit "Rock the Nation" and I read that album influenced bands like Aerosmith and ZZ Top back in the day. He was involved on the second album by Montrose called "Paper Money" and that came out in 1974. Ronnie Montrose still does gigs in the San Francisco area.

Sammy Hagar did join Van Halen, but of course that was later--at which time Geek may have outgrown his swim diapers.

Frank, you ever consider trying out for Jeopardy?

knelson
July 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Second worst song ever written

No way. I'm not a big fan of "American Pie," but his other hit "Vincent" was far worse (the "Starry, starry night" one about Vincent Van Gogh).

gull
July 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Sorry Geek, but "Muskrat Love" was the worst song ever written, although "Laughter in the Rain" wasn't far behind.

BillS
July 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun and Lobo's Me & You and a Dog Named Boo are in the pantheon.

gull
July 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Wait a minute, I forgot "Shannon" by Henry Gross.

BillS
July 25th, 2006, 05:48 PM
If you're going to stoop as low as Henry Gross, don't forget Patches by Clarence Carter, Teddy Bear by Red Sovine, CW McCAll's Convoy, and Paul Anka's Havin' My Baby.

As for this being a swimming related theme, yes, these songs can get stuck in your head while you swim. Well, maybe not Teddy Bear.

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Sorry Geek, but "Muskrat Love" was the worst song ever written, although "Laughter in the Rain" wasn't far behind.

I actually saw America in concert in the 70s at Red Rocks in Colorado. Even then, when the bad bands ruled, that song does stand above most as horrible. Of course, most America songs were pretty bad. Who has ever ridden a horse with no name in the desert?

Just so that Cruise doesn't feel left out of the bad band memories, Triumph was a bad Canadian band of the 70s, although I did own all their albums. Then along came Rush and made Triumph look like the Led Zeppelin of Canada.

I still like swimming and Pigeon83 owns adult swim diapers, for the record.

gull
July 25th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Actually, Geek, I was referring to Captain and Tennille's recording of "Muskrat Love."

Terry Jacks is Canadian, too.

BillS
July 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM
And Rush was plying its trade well before Triumph triumphantly burst on the scene with Lay it On The Line.

Peter Cruise
July 25th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Maybe we should cut a USMS forums sampler of "Bad Songs we wouldn't Swim To". How about 'Sugar' by the Archies?

BTW, does anyone remember 'They're Coming to Take Me Away" by Napoleon- it was pulled off air within a week sometime in the Sixties.

BillS
July 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
The Napoleon song was a staple on the Dr. Demento radio show, along with classics like Barnes & Barnes's Fish Heads and Making Love in a Subaru by Damascus.

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks to gull, I've been humming Muskrat Love for the past hour.

scyfreestyler
July 25th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Your familiarity with bad music is astonishing, maybe even a bit disturbing. :D

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Maybe we should cut a USMS forums sampler of "Bad Songs we wouldn't Swim To". How about 'Sugar' by the Archies?

BTW, does anyone remember 'They're Coming to Take Me Away" by Napoleon- it was pulled off air within a week sometime in the Sixties.

I had the 45 of that song by Napoleon XIV.

http://www.webfitz.com/lyrics/Lyrics/1966/581966.html

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Just so that Cruise doesn't feel left out of the bad band memories, Triumph was a bad Canadian band of the 70s, although I did own all their albums. Then along came Rush and made Triumph look like the Led Zeppelin of Canada.

First Sammy and Montrose, then Van Halen and Nugent, now Triumph and Rush. Was there anyting at all that you liked in the 70's? Please dont say the eagles or journey. With your happy go lucky charm, I would have to guess you were a Sex Pistols or MotorHead fan.

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM
The 70s were the great wasteland of music with the notable exception of The Stones. The good bands of the 60s were dying off and the rock resurgence of the 80s hadn't yet begun.

So, what were those of us who grew up in the 70s forced to listen to, Fleetwood Mac, a band named after a mobile home company, and The Eagles, an ensemble cast of future solo artist flunkies. Although I will admit that Elton John's Capt. Fantastic had the best album cover art of all time.

I think I hit rock bottom in the 70s when I got into an argument where I asserted the Bee Gees were bigger and better than The Beatles. I will probably be forced to swim in the wall lane in hades for that.

info@randynutt.com
July 25th, 2006, 07:41 PM
To give the Stones some credit...at least they used to hang out backstage at Zep shows trying to catch the magic of Plant, Page, JPJ, and Bonham. The Who would not want to be anywhere near Zep as they would be overshadowed musically :)
BeeGees are and were wonderful at the time. So was Silver Convention's "Fly Robin Fly".......
Someone commented about the washed up bands of the 70's -I guess some of us, actually I'll speak only about myself here -I am a washed up 70's swimmer who is still hanging in there. But like some of the musicians from that era I am learning new strokes now......gonna go light the incense now and put on Led Zep 3-19-75 Vancouver -awesome show.....

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Rock resurgence of the 80s?
I remember Van Halen turing into Motley Crue turning into Poison turning into Warrent. Or MotorHead turning into Metallica turning into MegaDeath turning into Jackyl.
The 70s for me was about Deep Purple turning into Rainbow and White Snake (70s version) or Judas Priest going full throttle. Never forget Blue Oyster Cult and Black Sabbath. Pop Rock may have been deteriorating in the 70s but Heavy Metal was just getting started.

info@randynutt.com
July 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Damage -I remember traveling with the Jack Nelson's Ft Lauderdale Swim Team in the early 70's to swim in Midland Texas. We were put up in local homes -one of our lucky swimmers stayed at Ritchie Blackmore's home. No he was not there at the time......great song to sing during a long distance set: Space Truckin...

Damage Inc
July 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Randy
Sorry I forgot to mention Zeppelin, but they go without saying..
How about a full dose of Houses of the Holy. But then again, Im in training.
Blackmore, Cool.

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Geek:

Fleetwood Mac was named after the two guys in the band, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie and Peter Green who was the founding member came up with the name. I will comment that I thought Fleetwood Mac was a better band in the 1960's and early 1970's then what they turned into after 1975.

Randy:

When you talk about washed up 1970's swimmers does that mean when we go to these meets like World's were like nostalgia acts that go on the road today and try to rock out like they did in there younger days. I think there might be some truth to that and that maybe we believe we can capature are youthful energy today of what we did back then. Some of us are maybe better but not faster. Well with age, in the age groups of competition maybe, but relatatively speaking, probably not.

Damage:

Nobody will forget Blue Oyster Cult. Anybody that does a song about Godzilla has to be cool.

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Randy Nutt
Damage -I remember traveling with the Jack Nelson's Ft Lauderdale Swim Team in the early 70's to swim in Midland Texas. We were put up in local homes -one of our lucky swimmers stayed at Ritchie Blackmore's home. No he was not there at the time......great song to sing during a long distance set: Space Truckin...

A great song to sing during a sprint set: Highway Star

aquageek
July 25th, 2006, 09:15 PM
...but Heavy Metal was just getting started.

Now you are finally talking some sense.

knelson
July 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Nobody will forget Blue Oyster Cult.

Especially after the SNL "More Cowbell" skit :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfXWMjeh8c

Peter Cruise
July 26th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Kirk- That was hilarious- I swallowed my esophagus...

Leonard Jansen
July 26th, 2006, 08:40 AM
The 70s were the great wasteland of music with the notable exception of The Stones.

Perhaps, but I'd add:

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seeger
Early (Up through "Captain Fantastic...") Elton John
Lou Reed (Ever heard the guitar intro to "Sweet Jane" from the Academy of Music mid-70's performance?)
Black Sabbath
Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention (up until about '74 or '75)
(early) Tom Waits
Some of the electronic music people like Synergy
Marvin Gaye's "Whats Going On"

I'd also say that, in terms of wastelands, at least on the popular front, today is not so great either - you have to dig to find anything worth listening to on the way to the pool. (Mia Doi Todd, Grey Eye Glances, Dead Can Dance, My Morning Jacket). BTW, a decent source for "adult contemporary" is http://www.xpn.org

-LBJ

aquageek
July 26th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by knelson
Especially after the SNL "More Cowbell" skit :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfXWMjeh8c

I don't think I will ever tire of that skit.

Speaking of cowbells, a fantastic newer rock group is Queens of the Stone Age, check 'em out. They have a small cowbell beginning to one of their songs. When they were on SNL, Will Ferrell played the bell on Little Sister.

I also highly recommend the Arctic Monkeys.

info@randynutt.com
July 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM
...still laughing after "more cowbells"

Skip, remember Robin Trower?

In terms of new stuff has anyone been listening to Wolfmother?
Just starting to - they seem to be getting some great reviews...

knelson
July 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I guess my collection is a little light on music from the '70s, but I would include David Bowie, Talking Heads, The Clash, and Neil Young as some of my favorites from that decade.

Frank Thompson
July 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
...still laughing after "more cowbells"

Skip, remember Robin Trower?

In terms of new stuff has anyone been listening to Wolfmother?
Just starting to - they seem to be getting some great reviews...

Randy:

Of course I remember Robin Trower. In fact anybody that remembers Procol Harum from the late 1960's would remember Robin also because he was in that band until 1972.

He was one of the first to expand on what Jimi was doing when he did album "Twice Removed From Yestersay" and "Bridge of Sighs". The great songs were Day of the Eagle, To Rolling Stoned, Bridge of Sighs, and Long Misty Days. I most saw him about 6 times in my life.

One of the great things about Robin Trower music was he had a great vocalist and bassist named James Dewer. He had one of the great soulful voices in Rock and was in a popular band in England called Stone of Crows. He died of pneumonia in 2002 at the age of 59. Here is a Led Zep connection, the manager of the band Stone of Crows was Peter Grant.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/RobinTrower/james.html

Here is an interesting link to what were talking about.

http://www.peterice.com/Contents.htm

aquageek
July 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
It took some time but I have finally found Will Ferrell playing cowbell again on SNL, this time with Queens of the Stone Age. He comes in around 1:30 of this clip. Good music and funny Ferrell.

http://www.commonsense.wnymedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Itemid=42

Damage Inc
July 26th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Geek that was KILLER. First time seeing it, not the last.

info@randynutt.com
July 26th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Skip,

You always get more than you ask for when speaking with you! I’d like to second that suggestion you apply for Jeopardy. I know you’d sweep the categories of music and swimming…..BTW we did have our own USMS swimmer and volunteer extraordinaire Meg Smath appear on Jeopardy. She did awesome.

OK –how about Arthur Lee’s (Love) Forever Changes album…. ..and Arthur’s involvement recommending Jim Morrison to Elektra…and in discovering and early support of Hendrix.

Kirk, the manager for the Talking Heads (he also managed Blonde) lives here in south Florida -had a few interesting chats with him....loved their Tom Tom Club.

One more on the way out: Grand Funk Railroad……..

Sam Perry
July 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Geek,

I grew up in Midland and was at that meet every year. Can't tell you how many people still talk about the awards that were handed out there. Did you ever get any? They were oil cores from drilled wells, polished up with a West Texas Invitational medal attached to the top.

That was such a great meet in the 70's. SO many teams travelled there because the Allison Foundation contributed $100,000 in travel money to the winning teams. They still have the meet but it is pretty much a nothing event. Trying to revive it, the facility stinks though.

I am curious how many on here ever went to that meet?

aquageek
July 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Sam Perry
Geek,

I think you meant Nutt. I wasn't eligible for Masters in the 70s. You might have me confused with the elder statesman of USMS, one Gull80.

info@randynutt.com
July 26th, 2006, 01:34 PM
yes I remember bringing back two things from the Midland meet .....the oil well core/award and having ditched my clothes a suitcase full of Coors -at that time you could not get it in the east.....

gull
July 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I tried to view the "More Cowbell" video and found this message:

This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner NBC Universal because its content was used without permission.

MegSmath
July 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
BTW we did have our own USMS swimmer and volunteer extraordinaire Meg Smath appear on Jeopardy. She did awesome.

Ah Randy, I would've done so much better though if that Daily Double had been about Led Zeppelin instead of some blind Italian opera singer!

Now, here's why the 70s weren't a total waste: the Allman Brothers Band! And my all-time favorite song, "Layla," was recorded in 1970! But what do I know. I have to admit I own the 45 of "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies ....

Frank Thompson
July 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Skip,

You always get more than you ask for when speaking with you! I’d like to second that suggestion you apply for Jeopardy. I know you’d sweep the categories of music and swimming…..BTW we did have our own USMS swimmer and volunteer extraordinaire Meg Smath appear on Jeopardy. She did awesome.

OK –how about Arthur Lee’s (Love) Forever Changes album…. ..and Arthur’s involvement recommending Jim Morrison to Elektra…and in discovering and early support of Hendrix.

Kirk, the manager for the Talking Heads (he also managed Blonde) lives here in south Florida -had a few interesting chats with him....loved their Tom Tom Club.

One more on the way out: Grand Funk Railroad……..

Actually I was getting ready to apply to be a contestant on the show back in 1975 and was informed that the show was being cancelled. This was back in the day when Art Fleming was the host and the show was a little different than it is today with Alex Trebek. By the way Jeopardy was in the news today and I linked a couple of stories. Its about Ken Jennings.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=entertainment&id=4401497

http://www.eonline.com/Features/Features/Jeopardy/index2.html

Randy, I had a detailed discussion about Love and Arthur Lee with Rick Walker from Sarasota. In fact he used to know Ken Forssi, the bands bass player who died in 1998. I will leave you with a saying that tells the a story about the life of Authur Lee from the Red Telephone.

"They're locking them up today, There throwing away the key, I wonder who it will be tomorrow, you or me. They're locking them up today, There throwing away the key, I wonder who it will be tomorrow, you or me. Were all normal and we want are freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom."

Grand Funk Railroad - a combination of two bands. Terry Knight and the Pack and Question Mark and the Mysterians. Terry Knight became there manager and ? mark had a hit called "96 Tears". Both bands were from around the Fint, Michigan area and were going strong between 1965 thru 1968.

DaveBright
July 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM
We've drifted away from music in San Francisco that week, but I did notice that jazz legend Mose Allison is playing at a club called Yoshi's the 4th through 6th. He's no Sammy Hagar, but maybe that's a good thing...Skip could probably recite his high school relay splits, but I remember 'Parchman Farm', 'I Love the Life I Live', 'Your Mind is on Vacation but Your Mouth is working Overtime'...

Frank Thompson
July 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Dave:

Great first post. I think you mean lyrics not splits because I don't think he swam. Mose appeals to rockers as well as jazzers. Three rock classics come to mind when speaking of Mose Allison and a lot of people learned about him thru rock musicians. As you mentioned Parchment Farm is like a rock stable and as been covered by Blue Cheer, John Mayall, Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Blues Project, Hot Tuna and Catus. On the opening track of the Who "Live at Leeds" record there is a song called Young Man Blues and its a take off of Old Man Blues that Mose did. Also the song I'm Not Talking that was performed by the Yardbirds and later by the Bangles was written by Mose as well.

Thanks for giving us the dates at Yoshi's. That is a real famous jazz club. I planned on seeing Mose at the International Jazz Festival in Detroit Michigan on Labor Day weekend.

knelson
July 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
On the opening track of the Who "Live at Leeds" record there is a song called Young Man Blues and its a take off of Old Man Blues that Mose did.

Yeah, I haven't heard Mose Allison, but I do remember Pete Townshend mentioning his name in the intro of "Young Man Blues." If Pete name checks him, he can't be too bad :)

info@randynutt.com
July 26th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Mose Allison is absolutely worth seeing. I saw him a few years back at Ft Lauderdale’s Musicians Exchange –really interacts with the audience. A true legend and lots of humor in between his songs - -see him!

Meg -Eat a Peach :) !

In the 70's early 80's we used to have a club in Ft Lauderdale called Mr Pipps They had live acts every week -something like 15 tables so you were always close to the singers. Hard to match seeing Tina Turner and Al Green from 5 feet away.......I found out later that when I saw Tina she had split with Ike and owed her record label something like $300,000. This particular tour was where she paid it all back.

How about ZZ Top's "Fandango"....Bachman Turner Overdrive.......Parliament...... Earth Wind and Fire.....Bootsy Collins and his Rubber Band....-Miles Davis.....the Isley Brothers.....and Joe Cocker....Maybe I am living in the past but not sure if today's artists can come close?

Skip, remember: Melanie's " I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates (you've got a brand new key).... How about Pablo Cruise's Find Your Place in the Sun....and another one hit wonder Uriah Heap's Easy Living?

BillS
July 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Uriah Heep was anything but a one hit wonder, and had many, many lasting hits . . . Stealin' is one, and . . . um . . . I'm sure there were lots of . . . . um . . . oh, never mind.

A.K.
July 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I caught Uriah Heep and Iron Maiden in the early 80s in south Florida.

What about Queen or Pink Floyd

If you Like Floyd and Reggae you must sample Easy Star and the Allstars' album "Dub Side Of The Moon"

aquageek
July 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by A.K.
I caught Uriah Heep and Iron Maiden in the early 80s in south Florida.

What about Queen or Pink Floyd

If you Like Floyd and Reggae you must sample Easy Star and the Allstars' album "Dub Side Of The Moon"

I saw Maiden twice in the 80s, quality shows. They have a new album out now but I'm not sure if Dickinson is back with the band again or has left since his little fit of last summer.

As to reggae, if you want good stuff, early Steel Pulse is the best.

I think if I hear Pink Floyd one more time in my life I'm gonna jump into the dark side of the pool without my floaties.

Damage Inc
July 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM
You bet Dickenson is back. Has been for about 4 years now. Three albums out since his return, Brave New World, Live in Rio and Dance With the Dead. All KILLER. They now use a 3 lead guitar set, great stuff.

A.K.
July 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Iron Maiden - Live In Rio "Fear Of The Dark" Great Live Performance. I used that as I drove to workout at 5am.

They have been playing extra doses of Floyd since Syd/Sid Barrett died recently.

Damage Inc
July 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I didnt know Barrett had died. What a long strange life.
Heavy Metal at 5 am is also what gets me to my workouts. Judas Priests latest one is in my deck now. The only downside to the Rock in Rio disk is when Dickenson tries to sing any song by orriginal vocalist DiAnno.

A.K.
July 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I didnt know Barrett had died. What a long strange life.
Heavy Metal at 5 am is also what gets me to my workouts. Judas Priests latest one is in my deck now. The only downside to the Rock in Rio disk is when Dickenson tries to sing any song by orriginal vocalist DiAnno.

Unfortunately
Syd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Barrett)

I must say Pink Floyd is KILLER.

I had a pretty eclectic mix in my MP3 player for SCNATs.
I had it set to start some decent hard rock sliding down to some Floyd style and ramping back up to high energy rock.

Pink Floyd
Bob Marley
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Iron Maiden
System of a Down
Robert Johnson
Rage Against the machine
Bach
Beck
Pearl Jam
Dick Dale
Blue Stingrays
Talking Heads
AC/DC
Jimmy Buffet
Grateful Dead
etc..

michaelmoore
July 28th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks for all the ideas to use for the Warm up music. Into that mix I might throw in

If you are going to San Francisco be sure to wear flowers in your hair - Scott McKenzie (of course you will be attacked by locusts outside of San Mateo)
San Francisco Nights - The Animals (it was about no San Francisco I ever knew I am a native)
California Here I come
I left my heart in San Francisco
Do you know the Way to San Jose - Dionne Warwick
Oakland - by the Good time Washboard Three
MillValley by Rita (some last name) and her third grade class

Of course there is
Dream on - Arrowsmith
Monterey - ( the Animals)
Swim by Bobby Freeman (a local talent)
Not so sweet Martha Loraine - Country Joe and the Fish
I will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
All My Rowdy Friends (for Anselm Gaines and the Smiths) Hank Williams Jr
Quiet Village - Martin Denny
Against all odds -Phil Collins for any non collegiate or senior level swimmer who makes the top ten in any age group under 70
Dear Mr Fantasy - Steve Winwood - for any non collegiate or senior level under 70 who thinks they will get a bronze, silver or gold
Soak up the sun- Sheryl Crow -as it is going to be sunny

michael

Brian Stack
July 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Hey Mike,
Don't forget to add Bump City or Down to the Nightclub by Tower of Power aka East Bay Grease. Those of us on the "other side" of the Bay don't want to feel left out.
Our friends in El Cerrito will want to hear something by CCR too, and Heard It Through The Grapevine, should fulfill the funky factor!
Shake it Moore!

See Ya
Brian
:D

Peter Cruise
July 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Of course, the anthem of large event organizers, 19th Nervous Breakdown by the Stones...

Brian Stack
July 28th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Of course, the anthem of large event organizers, 19th Nervous Breakdown by the Stones...

When it's over we'll play Mother's Little Helper, and lift a cold one for the organizers.

See Ya
Brian

BillS
August 11th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Enough of all this pesky, irrelevant talk about swimming and results. The big question at this point is whether Sammy put on a KILLER show?

And, on a philosophical note, if Sammy put on a KILLER show, and no one came to hear it, would it make any noise?

Damage Inc
August 11th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Dude, I ad sho many te, te, tech, tequilla shooters I cud bearly stand after TESLA lef the stage. KILLER Man!!!!

swimr4life
August 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
In terms of new stuff has anyone been listening to Wolfmother? Just starting to - they seem to be getting some great reviews...

YES! They are very good. They sound like good old rock and roll from the late 70's and early 80's.