PDA

View Full Version : How to stay positive on this one!?

CreamPuff
July 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Hi all,

Well, in my 20+ years of swimming, I've encountered something new. Turns out all my 2006 SCY Top 10 swims from the Auburn swim meet (wasa USMS sanctioned) do not count.

Ack! Turns out that the bulkhead/ lanes were not measured in accordance with the rules, so instead of placing 2nd, 3rd, 4th in the nation in about 7 events - I'm out of luck with no placement or I'm like 10th. They said we swam the right distance but the are tons of rules about having to measure these things before and after the meet.

Anyhoo, what would you guys tell yourself to try and stay positive on this one?! I'm moving into the dark side. I'm thinking ice cream for tonight. . . but there's gotta be something better than that . . . Drugs are legal - just kidding. However, I find it funny that that would get through the rules.

I've already spoken with Mary Beth Windrath and the meet organizer but the bottom line is no go on anyone's times for that meet. Anyway, mistakes happen. So there's no changing this.

Part of me is motivated to really train and part of me is not.
Trying hard not to whine - but I'm losing my grip! :)

Thanks!
Kristina

jim clemmons
July 24th, 2006, 08:24 PM
You gotta be in it for the long term.

Short term players/thinkers will always struggle with the challenges that are presented.

This is only a test of your mental fortitude!

Think long term and take it out on the SCM season.

Oh, and you're right - quit whinning. ;)

CreamPuff
July 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks! :)
I know! Whining is not only too easy to do, it's difficult to stop once you start! And on the time thing, I guess I do have about 47 years until I get to the 80-84 age group.
Thanks,
K

jim clemmons
July 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I forgot - ice cream is acceptable in this instance. Actually, almost any instance.

globuggie
July 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Just remember, ultimately top ten isn't the most important thing. Ultimately, you're swimming to improve and to stay in shape. Any personal best is a 'win', even if it doesn't count for anything officially. And you still have another shot next year or even next season!

jim clemmons
July 24th, 2006, 08:51 PM
ultimately top ten isn't the most important thing

You're right. Top ten isn't the most important.

Being number one is the most important!

Right Smith's?

A.K.
July 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
That is a real bummer. I would be a little pi**ed, errr upset. All the hard work... at least you have the background now to attack next years rankings and maybe do it at a Zone or National meet where you know it is more likely to be measured correctly.

Take it easy for a few weeks working on your stroke technique and then attack the training. What age group are you in? Do you age up?

CreamPuff
July 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Waffle cone with one scoop birthday cake flavor and one scoop white turtle did the trick - and I NEVER eat that much junk. It was good.

I'm in 30 to 34 age group. So, I've got another half year or so. It's okay. I was lucky to swim top 2 and 3 places in SCM in 2005 (I lost to 1st place by .04 seconds in the 50 fly - now that was a bit stinky!) And, at least my top 10 in the world in the 400 IM counted.

And, you guys are totally right in that swimming allowed me to pick up triathlons and actually place first in my first Aquathon and first in my second triathalon I ever attempted. So, the being in shape thing is darn important. I tend to take that for granted - I should remember never to take physical fitness for granted!

Now, had I swum a 1st place at Auburn or a national or world record - that would have been something to be angry about. ;)

I would take it easy - but I've got a 12 mile Dam Swim in Alabama on Septmeber 23. Guess all I have to say is, "I am woman, hear me roar!!!"

Thanks for the pick me up. :)

Allen Stark
July 25th, 2006, 12:18 AM
It's happened to me in 2 different meets in 2 different states. One of the wiped out swims was a Zone Record but in the other meet a swim by another swimmer breaking my Zone Record was also wiped out so it evened out sort of. Anyway it hurt for awhile,but chocolate helps.

letsrace
July 25th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Now you are an underdog! Next year you will come out of nowhere to get in the top 10. You should get psyched just thinking about the spectacle that you will create.

;)

rtodd
July 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Last year at the age of 44, Willie Gault ran several world record 100m sprints, one being a 10.49. However, they could not ratify because of not being able to document wind speed. He has since moved into the 45-49 age group and lost the opportunity to record in the 40-44 bracket.

Screw ups in ratification occur alot and at the elite level. It just happens.

For now, have a scoop of ice cream. Then get focused pick your next assault and show up.

Leonard Jansen
July 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sorry about that, but it does happen.

20 years ago I coached a guy who set the US record for the 20k walk. There was a very slight (VERY SLIGHT) irregularity in the curb on the track, which did not help his performance (it may have inhibited it), but the record was denied. It still is the fastest time ever walked by a U.S. citizen. He later won a Pan Am games medal and made the 1988 Olympic team, but personal problems kept him from ever reaching his amazing potential.

Stay focused, train hard and, as was once told to me "You get in that race, you go like Hell."

-LBJ

shoalsswimmer
July 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Remember, it is just Masters swimming.

Also, you'll have another shot next year again at Auburn.

I was there too so I guess one of my top 50 swims was wiped out as well. :)

Anyway, I am with the Shoals Sharks, the team that hosts the 12 mile swim in Northwest Alabama. I sent you a private message regarding the swim.

Bring some teammates!

Anyone else out there who wants to swim, you are more than welcome. Info at shoalssharks.com
Swim solo, bring a 2, 3, 4, 5, team relay - we'll provide a boat with a captain.

You'll have fun! We promise!

aquaFeisty
July 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM
First of all, that blows...

For your 'big' meet next year, check on the entry form... at least in the Illinois LMSC, it specifically states the meets that will and will not be measured in accordance to the USMS rules for Top Ten and records. Plus, sounds like you've got a great goal for yourself with the 50 fly coming up this SCM season.

And take heart! You've got 5 1/2 years before you get up to what has been the speediest women's age group: the 40-44 year olds. Where do those speed demons come from? :D

fatboy
July 25th, 2006, 11:08 AM
That is tough.

Maybe you can take satisfaction that you swam some great races. The red-tape keeps you from getting official recognition, but you still have the accomplishment. You worked hard, you swam very well. That can't be taken away.

Frank Thompson
July 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Swm4Life
[B]Waffle cone with one scoop birthday cake flavor and one scoop white turtle did the trick - and I NEVER eat that much junk. It was good.

I'm in 30 to 34 age group. So, I've got another half year or so. It's okay. I was lucky to swim top 2 and 3 places in SCM in 2005 (I lost to 1st place by .04 seconds in the 50 fly - now that was a bit stinky!) And, at least my top 10 in the world in the 400 IM counted.

And, you guys are totally right in that swimming allowed me to pick up triathlons and actually place first in my first Aquathon and first in my second triathalon I ever attempted. So, the being in shape thing is darn important. I tend to take that for granted - I should remember never to take physical fitness for granted!

Now, had I swum a 1st place at Auburn or a national or world record - that would have been something to be angry about. ;)

I don't feel sorry for you at all. I know on that other post that you stated that winning is everything and you even made comments about your High School teamates that keep you from being on winning teams. This is a case where you came up as a "have not" instead of a "have". So you either wine or put it behind you and look toward the future.

These kind of cases have been documented on these discussion forums for the last 3 years. People have to be proactive in making sure this gets done. I went out and bought my own personal steel tapes and I bring them to meets in case the meet personal has not done the measuring and offer to help in the measuring if that is what is needed.

There was a case last year where a person set a World Record at a USA swim meet in Federal Way and the time didn't count toward anything because the pool was not measured and the bulkhead was moved and the ship had sailed so to speak. This person that performed this swim was the oldest person to qualify for the Olympic Trials and it was written up in the swim publications, but it did not meet USMS standards and therefore didn't count.

Now in USA or other organizations swim meets it is not required to do this so its not there fault. If you swim in those meets, you have to negotiate with the meet personal about getting this done and if they will allow you to get this done. I have had a swimmer that I coach set a World Record at Senior Olympic/Games meets and they never did any of the necessary work in the rules to get the record documented for both USMS and FINA. These types of organizations are under no obligation to do that unless they get a sanction or recognition from the LMSC. Sometimes they don't understand the requirements that are needed to be fulfilled.

My believe is that there is no excuse of a Meet host if this is not completed especially since its in the Sanction packet and they sign off to agree that this gets done as part of the meet. Its not the Universities obligation or fault that this does not get done but the meet host in the LMSC where the meet takes place.

CreamPuff
July 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Skip,

You really crack me up.

I'll try not to feel sorry for you as well.

Cheers,
Kristina

hofffam
July 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
swm4life -

I have to say this is a silly, self-indulgent post. I hope you feel better now that a bunch of people have shared her misery.

I think I'd be damned happy to have the times, regardless of whether they made the official list or not. In a race in the pool, you'd touch the wall first and that is the real key for you, right?

(from another post of yours) After all you carried three slower swimmers on your high school team. They must be miserable "have nots" since they weren't as good as you. You must have privately complained about having slow teammates when you probably should have been happy to have teammates at all.

CreamPuff
July 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
"I think I'd be damned happy to have the times, regardless of whether they made the official list or not. "

I can't argue that solid logic.

"In a race in the pool, you'd touch the wall first and that is the real key for you, right?"

Right ON! And the bigger the distance the better. Open water swims require more strategy for an obvious win as there is no "wall." It's better to swim over the slower swimmers, draft the entire swim, and then shove anyone near you out of the way right before the finish line. A good elbow to the rib or sticking a foot out work best with an out of water finish.

"(from another post of yours) After all you carried three slower swimmers on your high school team. They must be miserable "have nots" since they weren't as good as you.

You are one of them aren't you! I'm going to guess it's Danielle!

You must have privately complained about having slow teammates when you probably should have been happy to have teammates at all."

Well, in retrospect the complaining was private AND public. You're telling me there are supposed to be other people in the pool?!

gull
July 25th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Similar thing happened to the Geek-- he turned in an outstanding performance in water aerobics, only to have it invalidated. Seems his noodle was too short.

thewookiee
July 25th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Did they measure before or after it got wet?

gull
July 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
You raise a good point. I think he just has a short noodle.

aquageek
July 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM
You guys should show more compassion for noodlers. After all, noodlers are a target audience of our publication.

The Fortress
October 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Kristina:

All the results from the George Mason Sprint Classic in VA were thrown out last fall because the pool was a centimeter short. A lot of Top 10 times went down the drain. But it was fun meet. And the meet directors made sure it didn't happen again when they hosted the Colonies Zones meet. You just have to swim faster next time. We're just masters swimmers. 99.9% of the World doesn't care if we're in the Top 10 or Top 500.

And I agree with AquaFeisty, when you age up, the competition increases. The 40-44 year old women in my zone are generally faster than the 30-40 women. (Who knows? Maybe the younger ones are busy having babies?) Anyway, I'm just awfully happy to be 45 at this year's meet where I get another chance....

waves101
October 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Man, this thread is too serious. Did someone say ice cream???

swimshark
October 13th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Sorry this happened to you. I have to admit, I feel a bit vindicated. Until I moved this year, I was the one who had to measure a pool for OMS before a meet could be okay'd. At one particular meet every year the bulk head was off. Usually by an inch or more. The age group team would help us move the bulkhead every year right before the meet started. It took a lot of kids, lot of time and a lot of agrivation. People used to be not so happy at me for enforcing the rule of measuring so strictly. I didn't want a meet to be declared invalid afterwards. It was a pain, a total pain doing it 7 months pregnant one year but now to hear about how disappointed someone is to not have valid times, I am glad I went through that each year.