PDA

View Full Version : Any swimmers (or your kids) going to audition for American Idol Season 6

ande
July 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Any swimmers (or your kids) going to audition for American Idol Season 6?

I confess the show is one of my guilty pleasures.

Ande

AMERICAN IDOL begins its search for the next singing superstar and will host auditions in 7 cities across the country starting this August!

The quest to become the next American Idol starts now. Auditions for the sixth edition of AMERICAN IDOL begin in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Aug. 8, at the Pasadena Rose Bowl.

Men and women 16 to 28 years old on Aug. 6, 2006, and eligible to work in the United States are welcome to audition. Restrictions apply a full list of FAQs and Release Forms will be posted shortly. Additionally, coming soon, we will have video guides to audition cities, and photos and videos from every audition.

AUDITION INFORMATION

Los Angeles, CA
Pasadena Rose Bowl
Tuesday, August 8, 2006

San Antonio, TX
Alamodome
Friday, August 11, 2006

East Rutherford, NJ
Continental Airlines Arena
Monday, August 14, 2006

Birmingham, AL
BJCC
Monday, August 21, 2006

Memphis, TN
FedExForum
Sunday, September 3, 2006

Minneapolis, MN
Target Center
Friday, September 8, 2006

Seattle, WA
KeyArena
Tuesday, September 19, 2006

http://www.idolonfox.com/auditions/

http://www.idolonfox.com/auditions/faqs.htm

http://www.idolonfox.com/auditions/rules.htm

http://www.idolonfox.com/auditions/info.htm

http://www.idolonfox.com/auditions/20060711season6release.pdf

dorothyrde
July 27th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I'm too old.......the daughter who is taking voice is 3 years too young........personally I like the music on Rock Star better!

scyfreestyler
July 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Does anybody here think that the next Elton, Cash, Dionne, or Clapton will come from a show like this? I admit that I also watch this program from time to time but it seems like the talent they admire is so cookie cutter esque. Not much character.

I just can't get too excited about the "idol's" they have produced thus far. Clarkson has some catchy tunes but will she still be putting out top 40 tunes 20 years from now?

tuck
July 27th, 2006, 01:04 PM
OMG I can't believe it's starting again already ! Just when I was able to get my kids to bed early enough for swim practice in the AM. Telling the coach, "I can't make my send offs because I was up late watching American Idol" doesn't fly far at all. Although my whole household will watch it, sometimes I wish it never happened. But really, we taped it last season so the kids could watch it at a decent hour.

ande
July 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
just the auditions are starting
I guess the show begins sometime next year

ande

Originally posted by tuck
OMG I can't believe it's starting again already ! Just when I was able to get my kids to bed early enough for swim practice in the AM. Telling the coach, "I can't make my send offs because I was up late watching American Idol" doesn't fly far at all. Although my whole household will watch it, sometimes I wish it never happened. But really, we taped it last season so the kids could watch it at a decent hour.

ande
July 27th, 2006, 03:48 PM
in the music biz You never know who's going to wind up with a long term career versus being a flash in the pan, a one hit wonder or a none hit wonder.

Idol has proven itself to be the best launching format for new artists. Because of the artists repeated TV exposure from the show, fans are very familiar with them and want to support them when their singles and CD's are released and when they tour. Radio is more likely to play the artists single because the artist won American Idol and radio stations attempt to play what is most popular in their format.

I believe Clarkson's Breakaway CD did better than her first CD because she had better songs (more singles), better production, and maybe better promotion.

Who's to say which artists will have vibrant careers 20 years from now. Idol just gives singers a powerful start that most new artists never get. Many artists have career peaks that they will never be able to match again no matter how hard they try.

Ande

Originally posted by scyfreestyler
Does anybody here think that the next Elton, Cash, Dionne, or Clapton will come from a show like this? I admit that I also watch this program from time to time but it seems like the talent they admire is so cookie cutter esque. Not much character.

I just can't get too excited about the "idol's" they have produced thus far. Clarkson has some catchy tunes but will she still be putting out top 40 tunes 20 years from now?

aquageek
July 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
There are about three shows on TV you can watch with young children that aren't horrible to watch as adults. Idol is one we can all sit together and watch and enjoy. And, if you TiVO it, it only lasts 35 minutes.

Try being subjected to The Suite Life of Zack and Cody or That's So Raven with your kids. You'll beg to join a noodling class to get out of that.

Damage Inc
July 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
There are about three shows on TV you can watch with young children that aren't horrible to watch as adults.
the Simpsons is our families all time feel good show.

scyfreestyler
July 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ande
in the music biz You never know who's going to wind up with a long term career versus being a flash in the pan, a one hit wonder or a none hit wonder.

Idol has proven itself to be the best launching format for new artists. Because of the artists repeated TV exposure from the show, fans are very familiar with them and want to support them when their singles and CD's are released and when they tour. Radio is more likely to play the artists single because the artist won American Idol and radio stations attempt to play what is most popular in their format.

I believe Clarkson's Breakaway CD did better than her first CD because she had better songs (more singles), better production, and maybe better promotion.

Who's to say which artists will have vibrant careers 20 years from now. Idol just gives singers a powerful start that most new artists never get. Many artists have career peaks that they will never be able to match again no matter how hard they try.

Ande

Good insight Ande, I was hoping you would have some commentary to add. I guess the idol winners are just a little too sanitary for me. They are being fitted into a pre-tailored suit...not of their own design I might add. People like Elvis Presley, Johhny Cash, Bob Dylan (I am no fan of Dylan..just an example), and Jerry Lee Lewis have great music by most standards but they are/were also people who had loads of personality (admittedly sometimes to their own disadvantage) and I think this is the part of the package that is missing from the "idols".

Remember Glamour Shots at your local mall? The place that took your picture and made you look like a million bucks? That is how I see these idol winners. Sure it sounds okay, but is it even really them?

I saw Elton last week in Vegas and there was no question that the music I was hearing was coming from a man full of character and life. A man who was passionate about music and the meaning behind it. Perhaps this is just the result of listening to a musician with a lengthy career full of success. I don't know. Just the same Ande, I value what you have to say as you are in the music business (and older than I am to boot :) ).

scyfreestyler
July 27th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Damage Inc
the Simpsons is our families all time feel good show.

Yikes! Not with my 2 and 7 year old's!!

We DVR episodes of the Cosby's for when we can't find appropriate programming at any given time. Food Network is usually safe and my kids seem to like watching Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs!

FindingMyInnerFish
July 28th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I've recently started indulging in "America's Got Talent" and even allowed myself a foray into "Last Comic Standing" (which didn't grab me, tho there were some funny lines).

The British judge (I forget his name) on "America's Got Talent" is sometimes funny, sometimes gratuitously nasty. I suppose eventually those who go on that show will know what they're getting into and will not take him too personally, but there were some pretty vulnerable looking people being raked over the coals by him. Also some pretty interesting acts, some singing, some gymnastic or other feats. Some, I admit, were kind of odd/over the top. When they'd announce the acts, I'd try to guess whether the judges would show them the door or send them on to the next round. Sometimes I was surprised b/c things I didn't think I'd like and didn't think the judges would care for either turned out to be much better than expected.

Haven't watched American Idol... as for trying out... even if I were in the age bracket, singing's never been my forte. But I can play a mean radio or tv. ;)

aquageek
July 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by scyfreestyler
Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs!

This is also a family favorite of ours. My kids are the same ages as yours.

waves101
July 28th, 2006, 09:00 AM
To answer your original question, my niece is planning to audition this season.

In regards to the Idols past, I feel most of them have limited appeal and thus will never reach the mainstream mega-marketing machine. Yes, Kelly has reached this level and I think Carrie Underwood is capable of reaching it in the Country genre. Whether any of them have generational staying power, I would doubt. But, hey, it goves us something to watch and listen to today so is that all bad?

Muppet
January 24th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Anyone else notice the Brother/Sister tandem from Federal Way, WA who made it to Hollywood? They were both on wk of 1/15, and both were very good.

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM
There are about three shows on TV you can watch with young children that aren't horrible to watch as adults. Idol is one we can all sit together and watch and enjoy. And, if you TiVO it, it only lasts 35 minutes.

Try being subjected to The Suite Life of Zack and Cody or That's So Raven with your kids. You'll beg to join a noodling class to get out of that.

Hannah Montana is worse.

2 hours tonight. Saw that brother-sister team, Muppet. Not bad. Carrie Underwood seems to be making a lot of money, but I don't like her. Simon seems to like platinum blondes.

Getting DVR soon so it doesn't take two hours. 35 minutes sounds a lot better.

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't really enjoy the early programs. OMG Some of the "talent". They need to bring in the gong (remember the Gong show?). I enjoy it once the field is narrowed to the truely talented ones.

knelson
January 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I enjoy it once the field is narrowed to the truely talented ones.

I'm exactly the opposite. I think the tryout shows are hysterical, then it gets boring once they whittle it down. I guess I'm not much of a pop music fan.

swim4me
January 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm exactly the opposite. I think the tryout shows are hysterical, then it gets boring once they whittle it down. I guess I'm not much of a pop music fan.

I totally agree. It is amazing the people who have no clue of how untalented they are!!!!!