PDA

View Full Version : Polyester suits

swim4fitness2
July 26th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I am considering buying a poly suit for durability. It is my understanding that poly is thicker than nylon/lycra therefore creating more drag. In the jammer style suit would there be enough additional drag that I should consider poly briefs and stay away from poly jammers? Is the additional drag insignificant and I should not worry about it?

globuggie
July 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
I have a polyester suit for practice (as a female). The biggest difference I noticed is that the fabric is not quite as stretchy. Make sure you try on a suit before you buy, because the fit can be different. If you're just wearing it for practice, the extra drag is pretty insignificant, but I would recommend getting a lycra suit for meets.

etrain
July 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Is this going to be a racing suit or a practice suit. For practice I would go with the jammer. More drag = harder practice = greater taper!!!

etrain

swim4fitness2
July 27th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Thx etrain. I will be using suit for training. I am new to swimming with propoer technique and continue to try to get that right. Did not know if the additional drag would be enough to mess me up as I have a long way to go in getting things right with technique.

aquageek
July 27th, 2006, 09:15 AM
The Speedo Endurance suit is good and lasts forever. I race in it. I wouldn't sweat the drag.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I like endurance also

James
July 27th, 2006, 11:00 AM
have had the dolphin poly suit for 2 years. Still like new

carriem
July 27th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Poly suits are really good for practice. The chlorine doesn't eat them away as fast as it does with lycra. The jammer is probably a better purchase like others said because more drag during practice is a good thing.

-Carrie

swim4fitness2
July 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Is more drag a good thing since I am working on technique/form?

carriem
July 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
It's not so much drag that you will be unable to learn. Technique and form can be learned in pretty much any material swim suit. Go for the polyester jammer if that's what you are more comfortable in (especially if you are going to race in a lycra jammer), and don't worry about the drag. :)

-Carrie

globuggie
July 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
A polyester suit will add some drag, but it should not add enough drag to hurt your technique. If you tried to work on technique with baggy shorts, that would be a problem, but I don't see how a poly suit could add enough drag to hurt you.

swim4fitness2
July 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
thanks globuggie

Dave Chambers
July 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM
If there is a swimmer out there (besides an elite/ex-elite) who can feel the drag of a poly then they should have started swimming earlier so that they could swim the Olympics. lol.

The main thing is because of poly being a bit harder then lycra you may experience some chaffing. ouch.

Cheers
Dave