PDA

View Full Version : Goggles

Concho Pearl
July 26th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm looking for some good googles - anti-fog

When growing up and swimming I never had to look anti -fog, we just bought speedo googles they never fogged up. At least not that I can remember.

But now I realized it's not like that any more,

I currently I think they are Nike's anti-fog, but they fog anyway.
I bought them at Academy.

So I thought I would ask people here who can recommend good anit- fog goggles.

Thanks in advance...

hofffam
July 27th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I never pay attention to the antifog properties claimed by the goggle makers. My Speedo Speed Sockets are supposed to be antifog but they fogged right away. Same with the Vanquisher, TYR, and Nike goggles I've used over the last two years.

I rely on spit to prevent fogging. Spit into a DRY goggle. Swirl around with your tongue. Rinse with pool water. Swim....

scyfreestyler
July 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Not a big fan of the spit thing so I use the Speedo or TYR anti-fog spray. One four dollar bottle lasts me several months.

carriem
July 27th, 2006, 12:35 PM
You can also try anti-fog drops. Almost any company that makes goggles (ie. TYR, Speedo, etc.) makes anti-fog drops. They're easy to find on any swim website or in any sports store. Even drug stores carry them.

-Carrie

Damage Inc
July 27th, 2006, 03:30 PM
That anti fog claim for goggles, bogus.
The sprays and drops are just dilute baby shampoo, but it works untill it gets washed away, like if you take them off for a kick set, wearing them on the forehead.
Spit is the way to go. I have never ran out of it nor left it at home. Works every time.

Concho Pearl
July 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Did the spit thing today, worked really well, and it's cheap!!

Thanks for the tip.:p

Rob Copeland
July 27th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Iím also use saliva as a defogger. The only caution is that your spit has a lot of germs and in some instances can cause eye infections. So while it is cheap and convenient, it is also a bit risky.

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 05:59 AM
the baby shampoo is kind of correct...I 've used cheap hair shampoo for years.The cheap transparent ones are best.Add a very light smear and rinse straight away.If you can't see the film but you can still smell it then this is perfect.Spit isn't as clear and doesn't last long enough for me.Shampoo will last about 4-5 k's in a race..
Some new goggles have an antifog film..I prefer they dont because it scratches up after a while...however if you are going to race over 5 k's then only a reasonably new pair with a/f film will work...
Arena A/f solution is quite good...Speedo isn't as good as shampoo...there stick that up ya bum Speedo..

hofffam
July 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I don't want to sound like the spit advocate. But if you scuba dive, that is the standard method of preventing fogging in scuba masks. And it can last for a long dive.

I have never heard of eye infections because of spit. You always rinse the spit with pool water. Is pool water free of germs? Not sure if it is any safer than my own spit.

I have found that spit doesn't work as well on new anti-fog goggles because the factory coating prevents the spit from coating the lens. But it gets better and ends up working better than factory anti-fog EVERY TIME.