PDA

View Full Version : Worlds - A Timeline?

onlyfree
July 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
When will a timeline for the swimming events be available?

jim clemmons
July 27th, 2006, 04:20 PM
There is no certainty a timeline will be developed. It is not a requirement of the meet/FINA guidelines.

I picked up that statement (something similar) from a prior post but can't remember where or from whom.

It's possible they are working on one but with all they have to do, I wouldn't count on it. You might need to do your own. But if you do, you have to promise to share. :D

Still Swimming
July 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I am swimming the 800 on Friday and figured out that if everyone on the psych sheets swam for the women, it would take almost 16 hours. That means women would finish swimming at 12:00 a.m. I have heard that there is a 10% no show - which would still put the last heat for women around 10:00. I am assuming the Meet Officals will invoke one of the rules such as having 60+ swimmers swim 2 to a lane, have people volunteer to swim 2 to a lane and/or require everyone swim 2 to a lane. Although I am not attending the Hall of Fame Induction on Friday night, I am sure there are people who have paid to attend, but conceivably could still be swimming as the Induction begins at 6:00.

I cannot even imagine how enormous the job is of putting this meet together. It would be nice, though, to know the thoughts (regarding the 800) of Michael Moore and/or someone else who is actively involved in the planning of the World's...

jim clemmons
July 27th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Is that calculation based on women only one pool - men in the other?

Still Swimming
July 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, as that was my understanding from a posting on the Discussion Forums

SwimsWithAFist
July 27th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Did your calculations assume that the pool was 8 or 10 lanes? I thought I'd heard that the pools are 10 lanes each.

Still Swimming
July 27th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I calcualted it based on 8 swimmers per heat. I later heard there were 10 lanes in the 2 pools, but then was told by someone else they only use 8 - I'm confused!!

knelson
July 27th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Isn't a timeline something the Meet Manager software can crank out automatically? If so it shouldn't be too hard to generate one. I'm sure the deck seeded events add a glitch, but this is something that can be dealt with.

dorothyrde
July 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Yes, meet manager can put out a timeline, and you can even put in a fudge factor for the percentage of scratches you are expecting.

michaelmoore
July 28th, 2006, 01:40 AM
We are using ten lanes in each pool and swimming one to a lane.

michael

onlyfree
July 28th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Michael-
Since you are here, could you weigh in on the possibility of seeing a timeline for the pre-seeded events? Thanks.