PDA

View Full Version : US Open/PanPac Trials

Peter Cruise
July 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Has anyone spotted any psych sheets posted for the US Open? I know everyone only has eyes for Masters Worlds, but I think this should be a very fast meet.

Frank Thompson
July 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Peter:

Try this link. http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/_Rainbow/Documents/d4b30ccf-9692-4f60-91b9-bf25c20e082c/psych.pdf

Also you can get a live feed of the meet if you are not going to Stanford. There meet will be going on the same time as ours.

http://www.wcsn.com/sport/index.jsp?id=34001

There is also some stations carrying it tape delay at the end of August thru specfic cable operators.

Peter Cruise
July 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks, Frank- interesting that Ian Crocker has entered 100 fly with a time lower than his own world record...

Frank Thompson
July 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Thanks, Frank- interesting that Ian Crocker has entered 100 fly with a time lower than his own world record...

Peter:

He entered at his World Record time of :50.40 which was swam at the World Championships in Montreal. The World Record that is listed is wrong. That is the time Ian did at the 2004 Olympic Trials in Long Beach, which was the World Record before. They did not update there Hytec program to reflect the latest records.

Peter Cruise
July 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks, you'd think they would update, but...Anyhow, does anyone think 50 sec barrier will come down?

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Am I being too critical?.....I find the not updating of his fly record amazing....it's just unbelievably disrespectful....

osterber
July 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Dobbie
Am I being too critical?.....I find the not updating of his fly record amazing....it's just unbelievably disrespectful....

Yes - you're being too critical. Have you ever been a meet director for a meet at that level? Do you know how many details there are to worry about?

I'm sure it will get fixed. It's an oversight and a mistake. But hardly "unbelievably disrespectful". You make it sound like the meet staff did it on purpose for some reason.

-Rick

Jeff Commings
July 28th, 2006, 01:36 PM
The records are updated on the new psych sheet -- except for Michael Phelps' US Open record in the 200 free, which he did about a month ago.

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Yes - you're being too critical. Have you ever been a meet director for a meet at that level? Do you know how many details there are to worry about?

If you're a high level meet director Rick, as you imply, then you need to hear this.I mean how many world records or US open records are there to be aware of? Rather than considering the world records as just one of the many details you need to worry about you should push it up your priority list .After all the meets are primarily there for swimmers and the officials are there to serve. A task which most officials humbly undertake with much professionalism and enjoyment.It shouldn't be just one persons role to remember every detail anyway.

Rick.have you ever held a world record or won a world championship? Do you know how it feels to not have your record recognized when it was given to the officials to list in the first place?

nkfrench
July 30th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I've heard that being a National level meet director pretty much takes up a year. It is a great honor to be selected and it is not given to anyone who hadn't already demonstrated undying commitment, energy levels and an excellent sense of priorities.

dorothyrde
July 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Dobbie, it is easy to miss things when setting up a meet. It sounds like it was corrected. There are lots of things that the meet entry person has to do, and usually the records are one of the last things they worry about. It is an easy fix, so if they happen to miss one, it take seconds to fix. Other things are more important to get right, at the onset of the meet. And believe me, when you miss something like this, many people let you know....

globuggie
July 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
It's not even someone else's world record he broke, it was his own - so the name was correct, only the time was wrong! Maybe the correct record should have been on there, but there's no reason to get that uspet about it.

Dobbie
July 30th, 2006, 06:40 PM
If the event we are talking about was a masterís meet or some other event run by volunteers then I agree my point would be unreasonable.

However the more I think about it and as I understand the directors of meets at this level are fully paid professionals I think they should be willing to accept a little feedback.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I was looking at USA Swimmign. They had a list of TV sttions carrying the Philips/Cononco., does anyone get any of hte stations? they sounded so obsure to me that I can't remember any. One, I think was Comcast Southeast. I remember when nationals used to be on Wide World of Sports. As I've said before, i once took a sports marketing class. Supposedly, the most aired collegiate sport at one time was swimming. That was inthe 1960s.

Frank Thompson
July 31st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Craiglll:

The National meet will be a live feed from WCSN. This is the first time USA swimming has ever done this. WCSN was very successful with the Short Course World Championshis last April and they are starting to get into swimming events more. Comcast Cable will be airing a tape delay version of the meet. Those stations that you see are in Comcast outlets. They will make announcements as they add locations. Most of the Comcast local networks had a tape delay of the Short Course Worlds last May. If you have Comcast, there is a pretty good chance that they will be carring the meet at similar dates they have posted on the website.

The Pan Pacfic meet will be carried tape delay on NBC with Mutual of Omaha coming to the table as a main sponser of the meet. NBC will have tape delay coverage on the weekend of August 25 - 26, 2006. This is the big meet of the summer that is being televised for swimming in 2006.

osterber
July 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
[B]If you're a high level meet director Rick, as you imply, then you need to hear this.I mean how many world records or US open records are there to be aware of?

No, I have never been a meet director for a national championships. Just lots of local and regional championship meets.

You asked the question if you were being too critical. I gave you my opinion. Yes. Now you're saying my opinion is incorrect. Why did you ask in the first place if you didn't want to hear a response?

To answer your other question -- that meet has 192 records and time standards entered. That's a fair number.

Rather than considering the world records as just one of the many details you need to worry about you should push it up your priority list.

You're right. I'll keep that in mind at my next meet. I can see some announcements that I might make.

"Folks, sorry that we don't have any timers on deck, but at least the records are listed correctly in the program."

"I know you were expecting to have a concession stand and a hospitality area, but at least the records are listed correctly in the program."

"I know the copier broke, and we don't have any programs to sell to you. But if we did have programs, the records would be correct."

Rick.have you ever held a world record or won a world championship? Do you know how it feels to not have your record recognized when it was given to the officials to list in the first place?

To my knowledge, I don't think I've ever held a world record. I have held a national record or two I think. If it were missed in the preliminary psych sheet, I think I would consider the helpful move of notifying the meet staff, so they could correct the mistake. Did you attempt to notify the meet staff in this case to make them aware of the mistake? Or did you assume that someone else did, and just complain about their incompetence?

I am in the process of completing all of the paperwork necessary for three world records set at my meet a couple of weeks ago.

-Rick

osterber
July 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM
However the more I think about it and as I understand the directors of meets at this level are fully paid professionals I think they should be willing to accept a little feedback.

I'm sure the meet director is being paid. Probably nowhere near what he/she should be paid. But I'm sure he/she is being paid. Probably not too many other people being paid, though, at the meet.

And yes, they should be willing to accept a little feedback. I'm sure they are. Did you offer them feedback directly? (Complaining on a forum that they will never read about their incompetence and them being "unbelievably disrespectful" is not feedback.)

-Rick

Frank Thompson
July 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise

Peter:

Look at all of the trouble your causing because you thought that Ian Crocker entered a time faster than his World Record. Now to your other question, Yes I think Ian can break the 50 second barrier but it might not come until Pan Pacific meet. It will be interesting if he can break :50.40 here and how much of a challenge will Michael give him.

Peter Cruise
July 31st, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thank you, Frank. I think he just might do it at USOpen, depends how secure he feels about his taper etc. Remember how fast the last Trials for Athens were...

Dobbie
August 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM
You asked the question if you were being too critical. I gave you my opinion. Yes. Now you're saying my opinion is incorrect. Why did you ask in the first place if you didn't want to hear a response?
I agree this is a fair point.

You're right. I'll keep that in mind at my next meet.
This is also a good point.

To my knowledge, I don't think I've ever held a world record.
Really....maybe it wasn't documented properly...?

Seriously though.I do appreciate the work undertaken by the volunteers and yes even the meet director.My original comment was too critical.