PDA

View Full Version : Question:Thereband Users

Gil
July 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Do you keep the tension on the band so that you can do 8 to 12 reps and once you can do 12 do you increase the tension? Thus, a workout and advancement similar to free weights. Also , at what point do you move up to the next band color?

gull
July 28th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I do 30-40 reps of each exercise. I was told to advance colors very slowly. Remember, these are small muscles--you do not want to overload them with too much resistance. I think it is a different approach than weight lifting.

scyfreestyler
July 28th, 2006, 05:38 PM
You are trying to build muscle endurance and tone, not increase the size of the muscle. More repetitions are the idea here. Remember, the tolerances between muscle and bone in the shoulder area are already small. You don't want to close the gap anymore by bulking up these muscles. I do about 40-50 rep's of each exercise twice; when I do them :rolleyes: .

fatboy
July 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
How often do therabands and/or rubber stretch tubes need to be replaced?

I have been using mine 2-3x a week since late October.
They seem OK, but I imagine that they will need replacement at some point.

gull
July 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I've had mine for about two years. When they break, I'll replace them.

dorothyrde
July 29th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I bought 6 yards, cut them up, so I have enough that my husband can work out with me, or daughter, and also if they break, I always have another.

Gil
July 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. One question I forgot to ask.Do you do the exercises every day or do you skip a day ? I am rehabing a torn supraspinatus muscle and have received conflicting advice from two physical therapists. Orthepedist advises no surgery. Interested to hear if someone has gone thru this type rehab using therabands and if you exercised every day. Also, not to confuse the issue but I am doing range of motion stretches every day.

gull
July 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I had a negative MRI, so the diagnosis was swimmer's shoulder/tendinitis due to impingement. Initially I did the exercises daily (for at least a year), now about three times/week (in combination with some weight lifting). Besides Therabands, my therapist recommended a few other exercises, including "ball on the wall" (surprisingly helpful).

Gil
July 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks again. Please describe "ball on the wall" excersize. Is it similar to fingers walking up the wall?

gull
July 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Here's a link to the USA Swimming site with a nice description of the exercise (scroll down to #3):

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=700&ItemId=700

dorothyrde
July 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I do many of these exercises, but not ball on the wall. I will have to try that one.

Gil
July 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Gull80. Thanks again. That is a great site. Will give the "ball on the wall" a real try.