PDA

View Full Version : A favourite swimmer

geochuck
July 29th, 2006, 08:26 PM
When I was a young I looked up to a swimmer that I thought was great, did you have a favourite when you were young. Mine was Burwell (Bumpy ) Jones.

A.K.
July 29th, 2006, 09:04 PM
As a little kid I looked up to the following I swam with at FMSA.

Laura Metcalf
David McCagg
If you were doing something bad you were banished to swim in these two swimmers lane and as they lapped you they would run you over (in a friendly manner, at least I think they were).

Paul Asmuth
Paul was a great distance swimmer and a great person. We were 2 of 3 swimmers that were part of the "Small Wirey guys Club" because we were so skinny. Paul had a great work ethic also.

All 3 were fast in different strokes and distances.
Each had good traits to learn from.

There was a fourth swimmer whose name escapes me that swam breast also. He was a big guy. I remember one day when we were winging kickboards, I had one sail the distance of the pool and nailed him in the forehead- thought I was a deadman ha.
He was a good sport about it and realized I had a lucky shot.

kokkole
July 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Mary T. Meagher (aka Madame Butterfly) 1983 at Cal.

She gave me some tips on my fly. WOW!!

Michael Heather
July 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Charlie Campbell.

He showed me that you can have fun as well as being a world class swimmer. I can still remember watching him flopping around on the deck like a fish out of water at the L.A. Invitational in 1973, barking like a seal.

dorothyrde
July 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I was not a swimmer, but swimming was my favorite Olympic sport. Mark Spitz was the person I most remember from watching the Olympics.

ladybug010
July 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Janet Evans........ :)

Sabretooth Tiger
July 30th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Mark Spitz

proberts
July 31st, 2006, 01:34 AM
Gotta go with Mark Spitz...I was just starting High School swimming and He Was Amazing.....made me a lifelong swimmer even though I got tired of competeing Still try to better my own personal times though.

Dolphin 2
August 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
My favorite swimmer was Mark Spitz too.

I recall that his record setting victory restored some jubilation to the 1972 Olympics in spite of that depressing terrorist attack on the Israeli athletes.

Happy Swimming

Dolphin 2 :D

aquaFeisty
August 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Definitely Janet Evans.

I remember watching her WR 400 at the Olympics on TV and just being amazed...

(and thinking, wow, I could start at the same time as her, sprint my brains out for the first length, and she would still flip before me... then go on to do 7 more lengths!!!)

:D

proberts
August 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
I like Janet Evans 400 m record setting swim as my favorite single swim ever, that was really amazing.

Gil
August 1st, 2006, 04:27 PM
Mark Spitz. I placed a large poster of him with the gold medals around his neck and proceeded to swim swim swim. Went from 247 pounds at 70 inches height to 178 pounds at same height!!What do I weigh today? 178.

kaos
August 1st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Dawn Fraser. First woman to break a minute in the 100 meters.