PDA

View Full Version : started interval training.

midaged
August 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
My swim buddy has started me doing interval training. I have become frustrated at not increasing my endurance. He said that neither did he until he started interval training. I'm starting with 1 min down, 1 min back, rest/breathe..repeat. I did that "NEARLY" 3 times today and it really shot me.
My form is good now,it's just got to do with endurance and for the first time today I noticed my arms getting sore like when I lift weights or workout so I"m pulling and grabbing more water.
I'm really trying very hard and have only been doing this swim gig for 2 months. I've come from barely puttering in the water to swimming a length in 36 seconds so I guess i'm doing good.
I know this: I swam harder today than ever and pushed myself really hard to the point of, gulp,nausea, but I did it and I look forward to doin it again. I've even bought myself a waterproof watch to time myself. I used his today.
I work better with specific goals and this will help me, I do believe. Until now, I was just swimming down and back until exhausted. I wasn't measuring any progress.
Mark

scyfreestyler
August 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
It's great that you have a plan and a friend to help you implement the plan. I am sure you will see continual progress for some time...which will keep things interesting for you.

midaged
August 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
ScyFreestyler: thanks for your encouragements. I need them, I just found out tonite that there are plans to start a Master's progam HERE! haha!
I guess I can go watch. :)

dorothyrde
August 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Intervals are GREAT! Just don't do them everyday. Your body does need some rest from them.

etrain
August 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I guess I can go watch.

Don't go watch, go join. Start asking questions about it so that the higher ups know that people are interested in it.

etrain

aquageek
August 4th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
Intervals are GREAT! Just don't do them everyday. Your body does need some rest from them.

I'm interested in why you say this. I can't even remember the last time I did a swim workout that wasn't based on intervals. To be honest, I don't think I've ever done a workout that wasn't almost all intervals in 35+ years.

waves101
August 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I agree, what's a workout without intervals??? I would recommend an active rest set between interval sets. This will certainly provide more results than just swimming non-stop. And, as far as the nausea goes, that's what they made the pool gutters for, right? Welcome to the "Coach, I puked in the gutter club" to which the coach replies, "Good, keep swimming".

Sabretooth Tiger
August 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Absolutely agree with the Geek . . . every pool workout that I have ever done as a competitive swimmer, every workout that I ever gave as a coach, was based on interval training. They've included warmups, sets, and cool downs. Never, ever, ever just "swim 4,000" or whatever distance. Even getting back into swimming from an absence involves sets/interval training.

The sole exception are ocean/open water swims, and those, while not being traditional intervals, will usually involve mixing the effort during the swim.

dorothyrde
August 4th, 2006, 11:09 AM
OK guys, let me clarify. He said he was swimming so hard he was getting nausea. So doing hard sprint work everyday is not good. Yes do intervals everyday and guage your progress by making the intervals tougher as you get stronger, but vary the length and the intensity from day to day. Make sense? If you do gutsplitting intense sprint intervals everyday, your body will never recover well and over time your performance will suffer.

Sorry, did not make that clear as yes, I always do intervals when I swim, it would drive me insane to just get in and swim non-stop without a goal in mind.

bbpolhill
August 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm with e-train...Join the team. There are all levels in Masters Swimming from novice to Olympic Trials qualifiers. The support you will receive is immeasurable.