PDA

View Full Version : Is this improvment????

Concho Pearl
August 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Need advise from those who know... is this improvement?

Background information- Female, 44, almost 2 months back in the water. Work out in a 25yd pool.

Working on endrance as suggested by those on the forum.

Today I did 1200 yds. in about 30min. Taking short breaks every 100yds, breaks started at about 2 mins - up to less than 5 maybe toward the end- (breaks are estimated time) Some freestyle with filps, some without. few 100's backstroke and 1-50 breast.

I like to think it's getting better, it was 1200yds in almost 1 hour about 4 weeks ago.

What should I be shooting for? As far as yds and time.
I understand and agree I need to work on form and endrance before speed.

A.K.
August 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Knocked your time in half... I'd say that's great improvement!

How much kicking are you doing?

SearayPaul
August 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Concho

This looks like a huge improvement for you. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Have a great day

Paul

globuggie
August 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM
That is great improvement - now keep working on endurance. I think you overestimated your rest time a little. If you swam 1200 in 30 min, that's 100 yds every 2.5 min. I'm guessing you were resting closer to 1 min. Right now, your workout still sounds more like sprint training than anything else, and endurance is probably more important at this point. See if you can swim slower and do 200 yds or more without stopping. Or do a set of 50's or 100's on 10 sec rest. If your pool doesn't have a pace clock (or even if it does), I would recommend getting a waterproof watch so you can keep track of your swimming time and rest time.

ande
August 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
hello concho

you asked: is this improvement?
~~~> YES

You asked: What should I be shooting for?
~~~> What are your goals?

Ande

Originally posted by Concho Pearl
Need advise from those who know... is this improvement?

Background information- Female, 44, almost 2 months back in the water. Work out in a 25yd pool.

Working on endrance as suggested by those on the forum.

Today I did 1200 yds. in about 30min. Taking short breaks every 100yds, breaks started at about 2 mins - up to less than 5 maybe toward the end- (breaks are estimated time) Some freestyle with filps, some without. few 100's backstroke and 1-50 breast.

I like to think it's getting better, it was 1200yds in almost 1 hour about 4 weeks ago.

What should I be shooting for? As far as yds and time.
I understand and agree I need to work on form and endurance before speed.

Concho Pearl
August 4th, 2006, 11:53 AM
My short term goal is to do 200yds, non-stop with all flip turns, then set a new short term goal.

Currently my 200yds are -first 100 yds, all flips, then open turns on the next 100 with a less than 15 sec. rest.

I don't know if I can go any slower, I feel like I'm crawling as it is, I guess I can try though. I concentrate on keeping my head down, and reaching out on my stroke when doing freestyle.

I can only get in 30 mins swims 2-3 days during the weekdays, and an hour on Sundays. Hoping once school starts I can go a full hour during the weekday. The Y's pool times will change for the fall.

Long term goals are - working on starts, increasing speed

Ande - I would love to send you a tape, I really would love the pointers, can't do underwater tape though is that okay?? Do you want me taped doing a slow swim or as fast as I can sprints,
doing what type of yardage?