PDA

View Full Version : A newbie update

swim4fitness2
August 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
This morning after my swim I felt like I had jumped a major hurdle in my swimming. As I have posted before I was struggling with breathing and holding my breath instead. I would swim the length of the pool (25M) without breathing. This week I have really been concentrating on making myself breath. Today for the first time I felt the urge to breath and not hold my breath. I know this sounds dumb but it was like it felt really natural to breath and I started feeling more relaxed while breathing. I have only been in the pool for 4 weeks trying to swim correctly. As I have said before the only thing I was doing correctly before was not drowning.

midaged
August 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Good 4U! Us newbies need all the help we can get. I will be glad to learn to bilateral breathe.
As i've said before, swimming with fins helped me breath because it relaxed me enough to focus on head turns. That might help you. I rarely use them, but the fins can be helpful.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Mark

swim4fitness2
August 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I am using fins. They were a big help in getting comfortable in getting a rythym down. Now I just have to not become dependant on the fins.
On a side note, I had someone who swam on teams for 10 years observe me Sat. A.M. She had encouraging words in that I am not as bad as I thought I was. She did point out a couple of areas to work on but thought overall my technique was good. My wife said I did not need the ego boost. (lol)