PDA

View Full Version : Transgender swimmers.

geochuck
August 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
In Canada last week a transgender bike rider won a race. The he/she rider had competed before as a male and now competes as a female. Should he/she be allowed to compete as a female?

Apparently it is going to be allowed in the next Olympics.

Does it mean that she/he's will be allowed to compete as males?

Will they be cheaters because of drug related reasons?

See the story here http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/08/01/transgender-mountain-biker-says-she-was-shocked-by-comments-directed-at-her/

knelson
August 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
My opinion is if these people have decided to make the huge decision to change their sex they should be allowed to compete in that new sex. Of course they should still be subject to the same drug testing as everyone else, so if part of their drug regimen includes something on the banned list it should be illegal for them to compete and there shouldn't be any kind of exemption for them in that regard.

Seriously, no one is going to change their sex just to get some kind of athletic advantage.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I went to a very liberal all accepting college. A guy I went ot college withis now a woman. To me it is almost impossible to understand why this would be done. However, that's not the point. Don't most sanctioning bodies now accept transgendered people as able to compete inthe gender they say they are?

There is a saying

Everything is just as it is and I understand it, that is fine.
Everything is just as it is and I don't understand it, that is just fine.

Some credit Confusius said this, and some say Loa tse said this, I don't know who said it but that's just fine.

Anthony Thompson
August 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM
The International Olympic Committee finalized a set of guidelines in advance of the 2004 Olympics to allow transgender athletes the ability to participate if they met certain criteria. If I recall correctly, the athlete must have completed the transgender surgery 2-year prior to competiting in their new gender.

Several transgender people are active in masters swimming/aquatic sports and participated in competitions including the recent FINA World Masters Swimming Championships.

If you have questions about transgender athletes, I am sure each of the FINA member governing bodies have addressed the issue of transgender athletes per these IOC guidelines.

scyfreestyler
August 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM
IMHO, it's all about the genetics. X's and Y's. I don't care if you have had 55 surgeries and you now look like Pamela Anderson, a DNA test will determine whether you swim in the men's or women's events. I am a republican by registration but actually am quite progressive when it comes to things dealing with sex, drugs, and medical research. However, when it comes to competition, I have to draw the line on my progressive nature.

gull
August 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who looks like Pamela Anderson is welcome to compete in Masters.