PDA

View Full Version : Salt water filtration???

iswim41
August 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
It's been awhile since I was in here, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

This week I headed back indoors for lap swimming as my summer (outdoor) pool closed on Sunday. The pool I swim at during the winter is a Lifetime Fitness and when I got in I tasted salt. Another swimmer thought it meant the water was dirty. I keep forgetting to ask at the desk. When I get there I'm not awake and when I leave I'm in a bit of a fog, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anybody know if this is a new thing? I can't smell any chlorine which bothers me in a health related way (not to mention that I kind of like the smell of chlorine).

Is it safe? And also, what kind of effect will it have on my goggles, suit, cap, etc?

Donna
August 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
The pool at the health club my parents go to uses salt water filtration too (this is affiliated with a hospital so I am sure it meets any health requirements) and I am sure it works fine but it just takes some getting used to.

Luckly I only have to use the pool a few times a year when I visit over the holidays. I too prefer the smell of chlorine.

You should be fine there and atleast you have a facility to work out in that is indoors. Our 86 to 88 degree pool is getting too hot again (still outside for another 2 1/2 weeks in the deep south).

:cool:

iswim41
August 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks. Does anybody know if this is the future of pool maintenance and what is the the reasoning? I have a friend who keeps telling me that chlorine being a chemical, it's probably not a good thing to put my body in. He's kind of a chemical-free maniac and the chlorine hasn't killed me yet, eh?

It really is weird swimming in this. I expect it in the ocean (the handful of times I've been the ocean).

Does it make the water less/more dense? I can't remember which.

geochuck
August 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM
This treatment has been aroud for a long time my brother Tom used it in his Swim School pool in the 1950s. It is fast loosing popularity in France but is gaining support in Canada and the USA.

See info here http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/hottubs/saltwater_sanitizing_system.htm

iswim41
August 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks, George.

knelson
August 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by iswim41
I have a friend who keeps telling me that chlorine being a chemical, it's probably not a good thing to put my body in.

And salt isn't? The Cl in table salt: NaCl is still chlorine, after all.

hofffam
August 18th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Let's be clear - salt is not used for filtration. Neither is chlorine. Chemicals are used to treat the water to prevent bacterial growth and algae. Filtration removes solids from the water and is usually done with sand, diatomaceous earth, or paper filters.

I'm not aware of any known harmful effects from swimming in chlorinated pools. We Master swimmers should be live test cases since we've been in these pools for much of our lifetime.

Susan
August 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I asked a similar question about a salty taste a few months ago, and one of the not-so-silly answers was "the most likely culprit is high levels of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)" which doesn't mean anything to me, but probably does, or should, to pool operators.