PDA

View Full Version : lap counter

steeldrum8
August 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Has anyone seen a personal lap counter. I've been training for Big-Shoulders and when doing endurance swimming I have a hard time keeping track of my laps. ANy advice or know of any product (a swimmers pedometer?) that can help?

geochuck
August 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I have the best lap counter in the world. Brand name is Chuckie. Goes to the pool with me everytime I swim and makes sure I do what I say I am going to do.

Then after the workout she sits on my lap.

Rob Copeland
August 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Megan,

While not about an aqua-ometers, I would suggest that while training for open water events do time based workouts, in addition to lap based.

For example instead of 10 X 500 on 7:00 do 10 X 6:30 with 30 seconds rest. This way you donít need to keep track of laps.

But to your question, yes there are personal swimming lap counters. Check out the USMS sponsors, a number of them carry these.

Matt S
August 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Megan,

You can also keep track of laps with your breathing pattern, or other internal guides.

Let's say you're going to swim a 1000m free in a 50m pool. Swim the first 100 breathing every 3 (I'm assuming you can tell the difference between an odd lap and an even one). Swim the second breathing to the right, the third to the left, repeat the pattern. All you have to keep in mind is whether you're on the first, second or third 300, and you let the breathing tell you what lap you're on.

Another way to keep track is mix in drills and skills. For example, swim 100m focus on looking down, then 100m catch-up, 100m zipper drill/finger tip drill, 100m focus on hip roll, 100m 6-beat kick (if you are normally a 2-beat kick swimming distance), and so on. This gives you a 500m pattern you can repeat, but it does require a little more concentration than your breathing pattern.

Let's say you take Rob's suggestion and swim 10x500m rather than a straight swim. How do you keep track of whether you are on the 4th or 5th 500? Tweak the interval so the clock tells you what repeat you're on. Instead of swimming the 500s on 7:00, try 7:05 or 6:55. If you know your next send off time, you know what 500 you're on.

Matt

flipper79
August 21st, 2006, 02:52 PM
If you do sets, the lane line discs make a great abacus to keep a count of each of the 100's, 500's or whatever. Works for me.

Concho Pearl
August 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
My self I'm a bad counter, I didn't want to spend alot, researched the internet found a Timex Ironman, for about $40.00 + shipping.

I happened to be a Wal-Mart and looked and they carried it, keeps track of laps up to 100 and 50 in memory for $40.00, I had to take it back twice, then switched to a 30 lap memory - figured I dont' use the memory anyway why not plus it was $29.99 - so far so good it seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps,