PDA

View Full Version : What Happened at Worlds?

michaelmoore
August 21st, 2006, 02:02 AM
I saw very little of the competition at Worlds. For me it was a blur that started on 1 August and somewhat ended with the completion of the Open Water Swim. The only races that I remember were:

The fastest heat of the 200+ Mixed Free Relay was awsome. I wanted to see that heat as some of my friends from Walnut Creek were in it and then looked to see who was on the Florida and Colorado teams. All the swimmers on those teams were at least a top ten swimmer. On the last exchange, Colorado's 61 year old Rich Abrahams had a 1.36 lead over Florida's 47 year old Rowdy Gaines. Could Rowdy make up the difference? He had 14 years on him. It was a very fast last fifty, with Abrahams holding off the Olympian. The World record was broken by almost five seconds. The first four teams broke the record. All the teams in the heat broke the meet record.

I saw the meets executive director Anne Cribbs swim the breaststroke and freestyle. She had fun.

I saw Debbie Meyer swim the 200 freestyle and I saw Jacki Hirsty win one of her events from the outside lane.

I met the good Smith and the bad Smith near the top of the stairs one day. I still am not sure whether Paul is the good Smith or John is.

It looked like swimmers were have a great time in the tent village that sprang up on the west side of the aquatic center. There appeared to be a lot of trading of t-shirts and swim caps there.

On Saturday morning, I watched the USMS Fighting Flamingos win their match to secure the bronze medal, later that night there were four very good water polo games in the Avery Aquatic Center.

I did swim the 400 freestyle. If I would have swum it 39 seconds faster, I would have made the qualifying time. It did feel good to be in the water.

I would be interested in hearing any stories or vignettes about worlds and also if you were able to do well trading t-shirts or pins. For those who would like to see great pictures of the meet go to
http://www.isiphotos.com

I hope all who attended had a good time.

michael

Allen Stark
August 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Michael,THANK YOU,THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
GREAT MEET!

Glenn
August 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM
Michael,

It was nice meeting you at the BBQ next to the Fighting Flamingoes! Great meet!!! Thank you for all of your hard work!!!

On T-shirt trading, I spent all week trying to find Frank Hesbacher of Germany. I had the pleasure of swimming against him in the 400 freestyle at the German National Championships in Berlin in April. We had a terrific race there and afterwards he told me that he would be at Worlds, swimming and playing water polo.

He was in the psych sheets for several races including the 400 free. However, he was a no show for his 100 and 200 free races. I suspected that he maybe did not come to the meet. I asked as many Germans as I could find if they knew Frank Hesbacher of Munich. Everyone said no. On Thursday, the day of the 400 free, I finally found a woman who knew him and told me he would be playing water polo at 5:00PM at the Palo Ato HS pool.

We found the pool and the 55+ year olds were playing. One team was Poseidan and the other was the Stanford team. No team from Munich. Darn. I then looked at the team roster and sure enough cap number 9 was Frank Hesbacher. Wasn't sure if it was him but after the game we approached him and with my wife's help (she knows German), determined that yes this was the right person. We talked for several minutes, exchanged addresses and of course t-shirts! Come to find out that Frank doesn't live in Munich, infact he lives quite a distance from there, but he was representing them in water polo.

It was great to see him again, exchange t-shirts and develop an international friendship. That's one of the nice things about a meet like this. It is a wonderful opportunity to meet and enjoy people from other cultures.

Thanks again Michael and all of the volunteers!!!!

Glenn:cool:

knelson
August 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
Michael,THANK YOU,THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
GREAT MEET!

Seconded. Great job, Michael, and to everyone else who helped!

joy
August 21st, 2006, 02:40 PM
Everyone that participated in putting on the World Masters Championship Meet gets a standing ovation from Oregon. You all did a fantastic job and it ran very well and smoothly. It was a giant undertaking and Michael and staff pulled it off. Thank you also for putting the Team, Individual and Relay totals up for us to see. Michael you did a GREAT job. The whole US should thank you since that was a 1st for the US in a long time.

Paul Smith
August 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Highs:

There is nothing like an International event....nothing and this one went off far better for the amount of people attending than I would have imagined possible.

Seeing old teamates (30+ ex-UCSB swimmers in attendance) was awesome.

Getting a rematch with Ramon Volcon from Venezuela; my 100 fly nemisis freshman/sophmore years at UCSB.

Getting to swim on relays with two guys i've respected and admired for years; Rich Saeger & Greg Rhodenbaugh

Splitting 23.7 anchoring our free relay and 25.2 fly leg on the medley, times i haven't done since college....and setting WR's in both.....but being pissed that John's free split was faster than mine!

Hearing Mark Gill trash John during his IM....."and John Smith turns in first place at the 100 to attempt the breaststroke....which he learned this morning!"

Watching Vlad go 1:52 200 free.....scary!

Watching Fabio smoking cigarettes between events, reminded me if the Hungarian polo team we played in '80 who all smoked between games.....to funny.

Lows:

Walking back to get my gear behind the blocks after my last event (200 medley relay) and "kicking" one of the concrete blocks supporting the awnings...snapping a toe 90 degrees and having to sit down and rebreak it/reset it.....now having to hobble around for weeks....clumsy idiot!

Having Mr. Moore still confused about who the real evil smith is...come on!

People getting stuff stolen out of their boxes during their swims....scumbags!

Watching Mark Gill attempt to put on a fastskin suit over his "body sweater"...Mark, try clipping some of that fur next time the suits go on/off easier!

Not getting any time to catch up with Mr. Shirley and have him buy me that beer.....very hectic week!

newmastersswimmer
August 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Getting to swim on relays with two guys i've respected and admired for years; Rich Saeger & Greg Rhodenbaugh

originally posted by the Good (or is it Evil???) Smith

But wasn't there another guy on that relay as well? I mean it takes 4 to make a relay doesn't it?.....(I'm only j/k of course....we all know how much you and the other Evil Smith respect one another now!)

Newmastersswimmer

TheGoodSmith
August 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Hmmmm...... The evil one has a point. Gill, If you would have shaved down you would have been about 2 lbs lighter and a second faster per 50. Cripes sake man, you need to keep your body fur under control before you come to the meets. Your supposed to be the spokesman/announcer.... you have an image to maintain man. My dog and cats have less fur than you do. Dude if you had laser hair removal on your chest and legs you'd burn out the machine.

I do owe a special thanks to Dr. Ron for NOT showing up to for the 200m IM and potentially grinding me into a fine powder.

John Smith

jean sterling
August 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Paul Smith

Walking back to get my gear behind the blocks after my last event (200 medley relay) and "kicking" one of the concrete blocks supporting the awnings...snapping a toe 90 degrees and having to sit down and rebreak it/reset it.....now having to hobble around for weeks....clumsy idiot!

I remember a similar incident in the long course nationals in Fort Lauderdale about five years ago. I was on the wrong starting block for the 200 breast, so I jumped off it onto the concrete, then climbed up on the correct one. I swam a great race - did a real good time (for me). Then when I got out of the pool I found that I couldn't walk on the heel. It was broken and I ended up non-weight-bearing with crutches for a month.

knelson
August 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Good timing on breaking the toe, though.

I had a less serious but equally dumb injury at the meet on the relay day as well. At the end of my warmup I decided only sissies go to the side of the pool to get out, so I pulled myself out at the end of the pool and banged my knee on the backstroke bar of the block! I got a nice bruise but nothing that affected my swimming.

GoldrushJapan
August 23rd, 2006, 10:38 AM
I had an excellent experience. This was my first World Masters and my first masters meet in the US. It was an interesting experience travelling to my home country of the US representing a Japanese team.

I was impressed with not only how organized the meet was, but how serious the competitiors took the races. I saw some people crying after races. I have never seen this before in Japan at the Japan Masters meets.

I volunteered to be a timer after my races were done, because I had a great view of all the best swimmers starts, turns, and see how they concentrated and acted before races. Also, I could get a yellow t-shirt and free lunch. The lunch wasnt bad either. Burritos one day and big sandwiches another day. Food not usual in Japan which I like. I also - got some great t-shirts through trades.

One thought I had was that the announcer should have said "get out of the pool...warm up is over" in other languages, maybe Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Russian, and Japanese (there was a lot of over 60-year-olds from Japan whose English is terrible).....for example. I thought maybe the people just didnt understand that the announcer guy was asking them to get out. Or maybe they just pretended to not understand to get a longer warmup in.

It was a humbling experience swimming with such a depth of great swimmers. Of course I saw the Psych sheets, but I was still surprised at how many fast swimmers were in my 40-44 age group. I still thought I could squeeze into the top 15 or so or even top 10 and get a small medal for the 50-free assuming only a very small improvement on my best time. Unfortunately, I hurt my back somehow doing starts practice and didint do well in my 2 individual events - the 100 and 50-free. The diving blocks in Japan are low and flat so I thought I should practice a lot. I way over practiced my starts and my back felt strange and tight. Then, my time was a second worse on the 50-free and the 100-free than at the all-Japan masters and this cost me about 25 places. However, I did my best relay split ever of 25.22 in the +120 - 200m -men's free relay swimming for Gold Rush (GR). We came in 11th in this relay. and we took 6th place in the mixed free relay +160. (we got a Japan National Record for this).

I hope I have the opportunity to compete with the same level of competition at Perth Australia next time. I plan to train hard for the next 2 years and win a proper individual medal against the best. I intend to join the 24-second group like the Smiths and my fellow ex-patriot in Japan - Brent Barnes.

Cant wait for Perth.

salgut
August 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm so glad to hear from GoldRush. I was sitting behind them under the shade area at the side of the pool and I remember when the great trading episode broke out on the last day. It was really fun to watch.....one of the Japanese team members scored three separate warmup jackets....I think one was from Mexico, one from Venezuela...and I think maybe one was from Costa Rica? It was great fun....the Central and South Americans wandered over and everyone was trading with everyone. A few of the Japanese seemed to know a couple of words of Spanish, but I don't think anyone (but the Japanese) spoke any Japanese....so it was all pointing and gesturing; but it worked just fine. My only complaint about the meet had nothing to do with running of the meet. I just kept wishing the Americans would have thought to come up with nifty warmups or team suits.......but, hey.....I COULD HAVE INITIATED that, but didn't. It would have been nice to have suits as attractive as the Gold Rush suits!

Overall, I really enjoyed myself. It was great fun to meet and swim against those names I've seen on the FINA top ten lists.....my only regret was that I didn't swim as well as I would have hoped.

Sally

scyfreestyler
August 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM
I don't know who Mark Gill is but I certainly hope he is a good natured, humor loving, individual.

knelson
August 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by GoldrushJapan
However, I did my best relay split ever of 25.22 in the +120 - 200m -men's free relay swimming for Gold Rush (GR).

I think I saw you in marshalling before this relay. My team might have even been in the same heat as yours. I just remember three Japanese guys and one clearly non-Japanese guy sitting in front of me :)

Nice job on the relay split!

mattson
August 23rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by GoldrushJapan
One thought I had was that the announcer should have said "get out of the pool...warm up is over" in other languages, maybe Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Russian, and Japanese (there was a lot of over 60-year-olds from Japan whose English is terrible).....for example. I thought maybe the people just didnt understand that the announcer guy was asking them to get out.

Good suggetion. Maybe make a tape (mp3??) that could be run over the loudspeakers, for the Next Big Meet?

Or maybe they just pretended to not understand to get a longer warmup in.

Most definitely! Have enough English-speakers who don't understand the words "leave the pool, warm-up is over".

Stillhere
August 23rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Paul....M.M. isn't the real Mr. Moose.....honest....I know the real Mr. Moose....

M.M. is a great guy...but he is not the real Mr. Moose....

GoldrushJapan
August 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, Kirk that was me. Hope to get a chance to swim against you again.

Also, Sally you are correct. My teamate Mori, Ken did some great T-shirt trades. I missed the process, but when I came back, I was pretty impressed to see that he managed to trade our goldrush t-shirts for 3 long sleeve sweat jackets. He was the best trader on our team.

I only got a British Soccer shirt and Ramon Volcan's own Venezuala t-shirt.