PDA

View Full Version : Sprint training

Concho Pearl
August 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
I've been counting breaths and strokes at 25 & 50 yds.

I seem to be doing 6 strokes before a breath, breathing about 4 times then flip turn, doing 3 strokes and a breath, then finishing the 50 with the contunied 6 -4 strokes and a breath.

Finshing 50yds in 35 sec. starting from the wall, I didn't feel it was 100% because I had already swam about 2X200's with a 3:00 min rest before this first interval. Plus pool was too warm today yuk!

Is is good, not good, can improve, what should my goal be?

ande
August 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
you're doing fine
your goal should be to consistently train
anything you do will make you faster
I don't think you need 3:00 rest after swimming a 200

keep training
you can do parts of the practices I post
just modify the sets to accomodate your ability and speed

ande

scyfreestyler
August 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
When I do sprint training I do it immediately after a warmup so my muscles are primed and ready for some punishment. Once warmed up I typically swim about 6 50's on 1:30 intervals...all out...WOT. If I am overly fatigued I might extend the interval a bit as needed. The idea is to work on speed, not crappy form from exhaustion. Another sprint idea that I use from time to time is to complete a 50 or 100 with the last 25 being a sprint. Somthing to break up the monotony of the whole thing, that's all.

Concho Pearl
August 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Ande your right I shouldn't take a 3 min. rest after a 200 actually it was after 2x200 in a row, plus a guy at the "Y" stopped me and talked, so my time ended up being 3:00

It should have only been 1:00. yesterday didn't feel good to start with, the water was so warm, I had to stand up in the sallow in between rests to cool off, probably even rested between sets more than I should. Hopfully the cool down the pool and I can do better.

I will start looking more at you threads to try them. right now ya'll are my on-line coachs. Thanks,

scyfreestyler, I will remember your tips, 50's on the 1:30, form, speed and breaking up speed on 100's - great idea- thanks

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Since when is swimming 200s sprint training. Gotta get into 25s or 50s. some with 15 sec intervals some with 20 sec intervals.

scyfreestyler
August 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Since when is swimming 200s sprint training. Gotta get into 25s or 50s. some with 15 sec intervals some with 20 sec intervals.

Sprint training with 15-20 second intervals? Really? I consider a sprint to be an all out swim...giving it everything you've got. When you get to the finish you have given your all. Maybe I am weak but after such a swim I need a minute of rest to do the same sprint again, especially if I am going to do it 6 times.

knelson
August 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Sounds like you're doing well. 35 seconds for a 50 is pretty good. Based on your breathing pattern it sounds like you're taking about 24 strokes per length, though. Is this correct? If so, there's definitely room for improvement there. You should be taking way fewer strokes per length.

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by scyfreestyler
Sprint training with 15-20 second intervals? Really? I consider a sprint to be an all out swim...giving it everything you've got. When you get to the finish you have given your all. Maybe I am weak but after such a swim I need a minute of rest to do the same sprint again, especially if I am going to do it 6 times. Sorry wrote it wrong
V02 max 4 x 25m swim 25m or yards in 15 sec rest 5 sec , after first set of4 another set of 25s on 20 sec takes 80 sec after the four rest 20 and repeat up to 7 x

V02 max 8 x 25 swim 15 sec rest 5 sec takes 160 sec to complete the set then rest 40 sec and repeat up to 4 sets of 4

This would be for a healthy young man you may have to do the 25s in 20 sec rest 5 which means instead of a repeat every 20 seconds you would repeat every 25 sec but the rest time between each set of 4 will remain at 20 sec and your rest time between each set of 8 would remain at 40 sec

scyfreestyler
August 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Sorry wrote it wrong
V02 max 4 x 25m swim 25m or yards in 15 sec rest 5 sec start a 25 on 20 sec takes 80 sec after the four rest 20 and repeat up to 7 x
V02 max 8 x 25 swim 15 sec rest 5 sec takes 160 sec to complete the set then rest 40 sec and repeat up to 4 x

This would be for a healthy young man you may have to do the 25s in 20 sec rest 5 which means instead of a repeat every 20 seconds you would repeat every 25 sec but the rest time between each set of 4 will remain at 20 sec and your rest time between each set of 8 would remain at 40 sec

I generally come in on :28 when I do my 6 x 50 on 1:30 so that would be :14 for a 25. What you are suggesting is to swim a 25, coming in on :14, rest 5 seconds, start another 25, then you lost me. Need some clarification.

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Made a change. I was in a hurry to get to the pool did not read the original post..

Concho Pearl
August 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
The 200's are not my sprints, I have been starting with a 200 free, 200 back as warm ups. Rest, 2:00 mins. then
5x50's on the 1:00 or 1:30 (depends)
5x25's on the .30 or 1:00
1x100 free
1x100back
maybe 100 IM
50 breast
finish with 100 frees and backs until a mile has been reached if I'm at the pool for an hour.
Sometimes, I do 200 kicks and 100 pulls - depends.

I'm 45yrs, female and been back in the water now for 3 months.
I swim once or twice a week for 30mins. and Sat & Sun. for an hour each day. This week I'm trying to go at lunch for an hour 2 days during the week and the same times Sat & Sun.

I try to do a mile in under the time I did it last which is currently 52:00. If I'm there for 30 mins, I just try to get in as many over 40 laps as I can.

I know I need to reach more to get my stroke count down, now I'm counting a stroke as each time my hand is in front of me hitting the water - correct??

Question - at 5'3" wouldn't I have to do more strokes to pull through the water compared to someone taller? I've always felt in my younger days that way, I would have to have a good start ( weak area) more strokes, and great pushs off the turn ( which I do very well in).

What is V02 max?

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
If you are doing 5 workouts a week do Sprints along with appropriate warmup and warmdown once or twice a week 200s or 4or500s 1 x a week and do a couple of Ande type workouts to give you a variety of swim workouts.

A 5 foot 3 inch person will stroke faster than a 6 foot 3 inch swimmer like me.

mikeh
August 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Good for you for speed training Concho! Lot of fun isn't it?

You might try to breath less if possible. The air isn't terribly useful for a race that short anyway. Work your way up to it. The best 50 yard freestylers don't breath at all, but I seem to find that a bit beyond me for now.

psyncw
August 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM
I agree with you scyfreestyler- people seem to use the terms "sprint" and "fast" interchangeably when I think they are different. My former masters coach would say that we were going to do a sprint set. I would get all excited, and then she would tell us we were doing 10 100's on 1:20! Then I'd get deflated as to me that is not a sprint set, but instead an endurance set which i would try to swim the fastest pace i could.

I like at least :30 sec / 25 rest if I'm sprinting in order to recover reasonably well to continue on.

For a broken swim like one of the posters was suggesting, taking 5 or 10 sec rest for each 25 for a 100 swim, i'd want to rest a couple of minutes in between each 100, not 40 sec.

psyncw
August 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I agree with you scyfreestyler- people seem to use the terms "sprint" and "fast" interchangeably when I think they are different. My former masters coach would say that we were going to do a sprint set. I would get all excited, and then she would tell us we were doing 10 100's on 1:20! Then I'd get deflated as to me that is not a sprint set, but instead an endurance set which i would try to swim the fastest pace i could.

I like at least :30 sec / 25 rest if I'm sprinting in order to recover reasonably well to continue on.

For a broken swim like one of the posters was suggesting, taking 5 or 10 sec rest for each 25 for a 100 swim, i'd want to rest a couple of minutes in between each 100, not 40 sec.

geochuck
August 24th, 2006, 10:26 AM
psyncw

Training to sprint and sprinting are 2 different things.

In the old days we did continuous relays of 25 yards and went as fast as we could for 25 yards. This was sprinting with a real rest between each 25, we had 7 or 8 swimmers per team. It also helped perfect our dives, we did not push off the wall.

scyfreestyler
August 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
That sounds like a really great idea for a swim practice. Might be kinda hard by myself though. :)