PDA

View Full Version : Ian Thorpe

Frank Thompson
August 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
I am linking a story about Ian Thorpe. He said he was ready to quit because of all the crap that he takes being who he is. He is training here to get away from all the BS he said he puts up with in Australia. I guess the press is really hounding the guy. He says he is going to tighten his belt and ignore what people are saying about him and try to have the best meet of his career in 2008. It will be interesting to see what he does at the World Championships in Melbourne in 2007.

http://www.swimnews.com/News/displayStory.jhtml?action=get&id=4711

Peter Cruise
August 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
We will get a chance to preview Thorpe's fitness before that- he has to qualify for World's in December.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Probably hte last place I would move to to get out of the presses eyes is Los Angeles. It makes me wonder if there aren't other reasons he has moved there.

Has anyone heard anything about his recent illness? I think in the states we call it mono.

knelson
August 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
"Pictures of him eating a burger and drinking coke were splashed across the front page of one of Australia's leading newspapers. "

How terrible! :rolleyes:

I imagine Ian bought a house in LA primarily because he likes it there, not really to get away from the press. I really hope he can keep his head in the game until 2008. What an amazing swimmer!

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Probably hte last place I would move to to get out of the presses eyes is Los Angeles. It makes me wonder if there aren't other reasons he has moved there.

Has anyone heard anything about his recent illness? I think in the states we call it mono. Mono can be very bad, infectious mononucleosis , kissing disease. I had it in 1952 and had recurrences until 1960.

Michael Heather
August 23rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
If indeed he had Mono, that could be part of the reason for his dryland training. Swimming at the level that he is accustomed to would do nothing to help him recuperate. Regular moderate exercise and lots of rest would be the best for him and probably result in the "enormous" weight gain of 7lbs. over his normal race weight of 220. Gasp! At the ripe age of 23, I believe he can rebound from this terrific setback.

geochuck
August 23rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
Just picked this up a little bit about Thorpe. http://news.surfwax.com/health/files/Glandular_Fever.html

SKO
August 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM
moving to LA is prob a good way to get away from press for a swimming star cuz no one in this country really could care less about him. Its a different swimming culture in AUS tho.

aquageek
August 24th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SKO
moving to LA is prob a good way to get away from press for a swimming star cuz no one in this country really could care less about him. Its a different swimming culture in AUS tho.

I can't really think of a worse place to hide out from the press than Los Angeles.

scyfreestyler
August 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I read something a month or so ago about Thorpe. The jist of the article was that he wanted to get away from Australia, not so much the press in general. I don't see what the fuss is all about. If he wants to take a hiatus from swimming that is his choice and he is certainly entitled to it.

bbpolhill
August 28th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I can't really think of a worse place to hide out from the press than Los Angeles.

I agree with SKO.

Out of 100 USA residents how many do you think have even heard of Ian Thorpe much less care that he is eating junk food? LA press is tough, but not necessarily on Australian swimmers (unless you include Mel Gibson).

Sabretooth Tiger
August 28th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Mel Gibson was born on January 3, 1956 in Peekskill, New York. Though raised in Australia, he is a citizen of the United States from birth . . . his mother was a native Australian . . .

bbpolhill
August 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I realized that but I thought I could get away with calling him Australian (poetic license).

You might find this strange though, I too was born in Peekskill, NY but in 1963.

geochuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:55 PM
What was Mels best time for 200m.

Glenn
August 29th, 2006, 10:12 PM
No one knows, he was too drunk to remember!!!:D

knelson
August 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Glenn
No one knows, he was too drunk to remember!!!:D

and I'm pretty confident he didn't swim it at the Maccabiah Games.

fatboy
August 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
What team did Mel swim for? Betty Ford?

Sam Perry
August 30th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I know this is all in good fun and believe me I have a sense of humor. But there are many people with alcohol adictions (Mel probably being one of them), who really don't appreciate joking about it. No I am not an alcoholic, but am related to some. All I am asking is to show some sensitivity to those who are stricken with the addiction.

geochuck
August 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Sam actually Mel was a swimmer and I wondered if he had a record time for the 200. I don't think he was an alcoholic it was an easy out for him to plead the way he did.

Mel said this "Always swim in guarded waters," states Gibson, who is an avid water-sports enthusiast and a father of seven. "I always tell my kids that if you go to the beach, go in the water near or within sight of a manned lifeguard station. Beyond that I think kids should all learn how to swim. I mean it's really the beginning. You can't become any good at surfing or any other water sport unless you're a strong and confident swimmer."

bbpolhill
August 30th, 2006, 10:46 AM
See? I knew Ian Thorpe could get lost in LA.

Sam Perry
August 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by geochuck
I don't think he was an alcoholic it was an easy out for him to plead the way he did.

That's your opinion. Anyone who says the things he said, DRIVES A CAR at that blood-alcohol level, and shows an entirely different persona when sober has a serious drinking problem. Trust me, I know when someone is just out partying and when someone has a drinking problem. Personality changes, putting yours as well as others lives at risk are definite signs. I am done with this back to swimming.

I think Ian Thorpe has some serious genetic issues finally catching up with him. If you have ever seen his mother, she is a very large woman. If he has started putting on weight, maybe from lack of training and burgers as the Australian media have said, you have to think the genetic makeup God gave him through his parents might have something to do with the weight gain. If that is the case, he has a lot to overcome to avoid it.

geochuck
August 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Sam Perry

I think Ian Thorpe has some serious genetic issues finally catching up with him. If you have ever seen his mother, she is a very large woman. If he has started putting on weight, maybe from lack of training and burgers as the Australian media have said, you have to think the genetic makeup God gave him through his parents might have something to do with the weight gain. If that is the case, he has a lot to overcome to avoid it.
Wow I wish I had some of his genetic problems http://www.grandslamint.com/PlayerProfile/PlayerProfile.aspx?p=3&id=7 Even with these problems (Genetic?) he sure has been great. I think he will be back and if he does not I think he has proved himself to be a great swimmer.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Wow I wish I had some of his genetic problems http://www.grandslamint.com/PlayerProfile/PlayerProfile.aspx?p=3&id=7 Even with these problems (Genetic?) he sure has been great. I think he will be back and if he does not I think he has proved himself to be a great swimmer.

Supposedly he follows a very strict diet. I have always wondered how he got size 17 men's feet at the age of 14? I grew very fast when I was 12- 13 but nohting like that

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 30th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Supposedly he follows a very strict diet. I have always wondered how he got size 17 men's feet at the age of 14? I grew very fast when I was 12- 13 but nohting like that