PDA

View Full Version : LC Nationals at the Woodlands

lefty
August 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I read that LC Nationals would be at the Woodlands (Texas) next year. While I am happy that the meet is in my backyard, that pool has one significant flaw. The shallow end is only 3 feet deep which causes the blocks to be only 18 inches or so off the water (on that end).

The Woodlands typically uses the shallow end as the start end for 50's so that timers do not have to move. I know this is just anecdotal, but my personal experiences have been poor. From the same meet: I went a 25.6 from the shallow end and then 25.0 from the deep (leading off a relay) in 2001. In 2002 26.0, 25.3 (again leading off a relay) and even back in 1997 I went a 25.5 anchoring a relay from the shallow end, and then a 25.5 in the regular event from the deep end.

mbmg3282
August 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM
The information presented above is incorrect.

The Woodlands have made adaptions to their pool so that the water level will be 4' 2" at the shallow end and 7' 6" at the deeper end. This has been done since the last time the facility hosted nationals.

It should also be pointed out that this is a 9 lane pool, so the days should run about 12% faster than if we held it the meet in an 8 lane pool.

Peter Cruise
August 30th, 2006, 03:38 PM
And they throw a helluva social.

lefty
August 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mbmg3282
The information presented above is incorrect.

The Woodlands have made adaptions to their pool so that the water level will be 4' 2" at the shallow end and 7' 6" at the deeper end. This has been done since the last time the facility hosted nationals.

It should also be pointed out that this is a 9 lane pool, so the days should run about 12% faster than if we held it the meet in an 8 lane pool.

Mark, that is great news. But just to be sure, these adaptions were made when? And 4' 2'' is still pretty shallow, am I correctly reading your post to mean that the blocks will be the same height on both ends?

mbmg3282
August 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I know the changes were made at least by last summer if not before. I will defer to Tom Boak, the meet director, on the blocks.

knelson
August 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I heard a rumor that the 2008 LC meet will be at Mt. Hood CC near Portland, Oregon. I didn't think the 2008 meet had been officially awarded yet, but anyone want to confirm or deny this rumor?

matysekj
August 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Kirk,

The 2008 nationals will be awarded at convention in about 2 weeks. The bids received are from:

LC Bids
1. Oregon Masters Swimming and Mt. Hood Community College
2. Mission Viejo Nadadores

SCY Bid
1. University of Texas, Austin

Peter Cruise
August 30th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm getting deja vu all over again. Wasn't the first Woodlands LCNats followed the next spring by SC in Austin? Skip?

lefty
August 30th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by mbmg3282
I know the changes were made at least by last summer if not before. I will defer to Tom Boak, the meet director, on the blocks.

I will check it out myself. Judging by your posts, I am guessing that the issue was considered when the meet was awarded to the Woodlands. I am not surprised that you guys are on top of these things!

mbmg3282
August 30th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I checked with Tom Boak...

The blocks are currently shorter at the shallow end. This makes sense. With the depth at a little over 4', shorter blocks really would work better and be safer.

The only time that starts will occur at the shallow end will be during relays. All individual events, including 50's will start at the deep end of the pool.

Concho Pearl
August 31st, 2006, 11:29 AM
How do you qualify to go to nationals?

dvarner
August 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Unless the rules have changed, your first three choices of events don't require meeting the qualifying time but anything above that does. Lessens the dread of exclusivity a bit.

It's a great motivator to get folks out to participate and enjoy the good times, and encouragement for those of us that had not competed for many moons.

Go for it,

DV

Concho Pearl
August 31st, 2006, 01:31 PM
thank you, how ever how does one find the qualifing times if they want to enter more that 3 events?

knelson
August 31st, 2006, 02:19 PM
They're tweaked slightly year-to-year, but you can find the qualifying times for 2006 short course Nationals here: http://www.usms.org/comp/nqt.php?MeetID=scnats06

Concho Pearl
August 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Do you have to prove your qualifing time if so how do you go about that?

mbmg3282
August 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
We work on the trust system with regards to qualifying times.

At the annual convention in two weeks, we will approve the time standards for Long Course Nationals in 2006. They generally won't differ greatly from year to year.

Concho Pearl
August 31st, 2006, 04:20 PM
thanks for all the information.

fatboy
August 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM
I believe that the results from the recent Worlds showed NT if your time in the event did not meet the qualifying time. Is it the same for nationals?

mbmg3282
August 31st, 2006, 05:32 PM
No, that is just how FINA handles the World Championships. At the World meet, every swimmer is required to meet the qualification time in every event they swim.

At our nationals, in order to include all our interested swimmers, each athlete can enter up to 3 events before they have to start meeting the qualifying times.

Peter Cruise
August 31st, 2006, 06:21 PM
In fact, if you miss your qualification time at USMS Nats, everyone politely assumes that you are just having a bad day (more of these occur the morning after the Social (sybaritic blowout customary at these occasions). Any scorn, opprobrium or outright shunning is reserved only for swimmers who stand at the wrong end and miss their heat.

aquageek
August 31st, 2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
sybaritic...opprobrium

It's very hard to follow your posts when you use French-Canadian words.

Matt S
August 31st, 2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
It's very hard to follow your posts when you use French-Canadian words.

C'est la vie.
C'est la guerre.
C'est les pommes de terre.

Peter Cruise
August 31st, 2006, 08:46 PM
I was going to point out that those words belong to the same language that the Geek uses-but, then again, maybe not...

aquageek
September 1st, 2006, 07:45 AM
I was going to point out that those words belong to the same language that the Geek uses-but, then again, maybe not...

We are all waterlogged here in NC, especially gull80, who lives directly in the path of Ernesto. Please don't expect us to break out the French-Canadian to English dictionaries when tropical storms are overhead.

Frank Thompson
September 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
I'm getting deja vu all over again. Wasn't the first Woodlands LCNats followed the next spring by SC in Austin? Skip?

The first LC Nationals at Woodlands was in 1987 and the next spring the SC Nationals were in Austin. That was so long ago that Richard Quick was still the Womens Coach at Texas before he moved to Stanford. If Austin gets the bid it will be 20 years since they had a National meet. On the other hand Woodlands hosted the LC Nationals in 1990 and I believe that is the last time they had a National meet there.

Sam Perry
September 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Frank Thompson
If Austin gets the bid it will be 20 years since they had a National meet. On the other hand Woodlands hosted the LC Nationals in 1990 and I believe that is the last time they had a National meet there.

How can the not get the bid? Can't wait to swim there again in 2007! Shoud be a great meet.

bbpolhill
September 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM
I noticed that at the FINA Masters World Championships Dara Torres swam a 50 Free relay lead-off that would qualify her for Olympic Trials. Is this or any other time swum at a US Masters Swimming meet accepted by USA Swimming? What is the criteria if not?

BillS
September 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM
Allow me to help out with the translations. I live close enough to Canada to speak relatively fluent Canuck, thanks to enduring weekly influxes of Cruise-sounding boardheads to our little town all summer long.

Canadian: French:
Kokanee Merde
Molson Merde
Moosehead Merde
LaBatts Merde
Carling Merde

Peter Cruise
September 1st, 2006, 05:11 PM
Alas and alackaday...slings and arrows of outrageous fortune limply hucked by Oregonian domiciled in location famous for big wind in conjunction with river of a thousand dams.
Major brewery beer (US)= septic tank oozings
Major brewery beer (CDN)= deodorant pad squeezings
Craft brewery beer (US)= heavily chlorinated water
Craft brewery beer (CDN)= ambrosial fountain of youth

hofffam
September 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM
I have never had a good Canadian beer. Please name one for me. They are all just as bad as mainstream American beers. I mean no offense at all. What are good Canadian craft brews?

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 12:00 AM
Piper's Pale Ale. You'll have to come here to drink it. So happens we have a high quality scm meet in late November...

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 12:06 AM
There are others: Granville Island, Hermann's, Black Bear to name a few. We just don't export them; some, esp. in Oregon, can't handle the real stuff.

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
Whereas in North Carolina it's either Uncle Jim's White Lightning or Cat Pee, whichever is handy...

swim53
September 2nd, 2006, 01:00 AM
Peter---what/where(when) is your late November SCM meet?

knelson
September 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by swim53
Peter---what/where(when) is your late November SCM meet?

I see on the Masters BC site http://www.mastersswimming.bc.ca/upcoming.shtml there's a meet in Nanaimo on 12/2, so that must be the one.

I just saw there's going to be a SCM meet at the King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, WA (same pool SC Nats will be at next May) on 11/18-19, too.

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Kirk is right, Dec.2 is the date (it fluctuates between last weekend in Nov. & first in Dec.). But why would anyone go to scenic (no!) Federal Way twice, rather than Nanaimo? We have a newer, 52m bulkheaded pool with three waterslides to choose from while you frolic between events, sauna, steam room and large whirlpool, plus an immediate social after the meet with good grub (free). If any of the forum posters actually show up, I would treat them to genuine Vancouver Island craft brews afterwards. Offer void in North Carolina and San Diego.

gull
September 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Offer void in North Carolina and San Diego.

Fine. But don't expect me to buy you a Shiner Bock at the Woodlands next summer. Or were you just referring to the Geek?

(I have a tee shirt that reads: "I spent half my life in Texas, the rest I just wasted.")

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
O.K. Craig, an exemption for New Bern.

knelson
September 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
But why would anyone go to scenic (no!) Federal Way twice, rather than Nanaimo?

Well, Federal Way is just a little more accessible for anyone on this forum other than you and George Park! :)

Peter Cruise
September 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Of course, Kirk- why didn't I think of that? A one and a half hours ferry ride without a Starbucks...sheesh

BillS
September 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
Careful now, Cruise . . . I've been to Nanaimo (it was a jumping off place for a sailboat tour of the Gulf Islands, which were cool. I liked Salt Spring. Nice old muscle cars. Nice hippies. Cold Kokanees) and I can drink a whole lot of beer. Although I generally prefer a high quality pilsner to craft brews, which tend to be heavier ales, I have been known to pound a few too many crafter pints when other folks, especially funny-talking furriners, are buying. We'll see if I survive the 1/2 barrel of Pilsner Urquell I bought for our Labor Day party, and who knows? Maybe you'll see a few of us Boregonians up your way for the meet. I can get to Nanaimo from the Twassen ferry, right?

Peter Cruise
September 3rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
Tswassen to Duke Point gets you fifteen minutes south of Nanaimo, yes it is the logical way to come, but 2.5 hrs between ferries, so you have to time it right. I came down to your June LC meet 2 years ago, piece of cake to get there, drive as fast as you can through Seattle.

breastroker
September 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Pilsner Urquell

Now that is a GREAT beer. All I can get is bottles of Urquell.

For all those who praised Mission Viejo for a great LC Nationals, please vote for them again at convention. They say they will do better this time:D

newmastersswimmer
September 5th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Whereas in North Carolina it's either Uncle Jim's White Lightning or Cat Pee, whichever is handy...

originally posted by Peter Cruise

hmmmm....I wonder who you could be referring to there??...LOL!

I will believe in Canadian Beer when I have tried these beers you are referring to Peter.....I guess I will have to travel up North for one of these meets sometime in the not so distant future then....Until then I am sticking with good ole American Microbrews.....like Fat Tire from Ft. Collins CO. or Dead Guy from Portland Oregon......and what's wrong with Shiner Bock BTW??

Newmastersswimmer

Peter Cruise
September 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Jim- never tried it, content to bask in my warm glow of parochial self-sufficiency.

hofffam
September 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Shiner Bock? For one thing it is not a bock beer. So it is a pretender. Tastes better than Bud and a nice step up. But otherwise tastes a bit like a watered down brown ale. But since it is brewed in smaller quantities it has some (undeserved) cache. A big enough brand in Texas that A-B makes Ziegenbock to counter it.

Pilsner Urquell, when it is not skunked, is a very good beer. This is what Budweiser should be. Unfortunately it is not of course.

Sam Perry
September 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Shiner Blonde in the Summer. Only way to go!

A little Pearl Lager or Falstaff (Thanks to Jerry Jeff Walker) goes a long way also.

BillS
September 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I am pleased to report that a 1/2 barrel of Urquell tastes mighty fine indeed on a hot summer evening when iced down with rock salt added to make it extra cold. Cost me $120 from the local distributor and worth every dime. So good, it has got me thinking about buying a keg cooler. But I'd probably end up looking like Speedo guy.

I once had Anchor Steam on tap in Sausalito. That was pretty good, too.

Hugh
September 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM
But why would anyone go to scenic (no!) Federal Way twice, rather than Nanaimo? We have a newer, 52m bulkheaded pool with three waterslides to choose from while you frolic between events, sauna, steam room and large whirlpool, plus an immediate social after the meet with good grub (free). If any of the forum posters actually show up, I would treat them to genuine Vancouver Island craft brews afterwards.
Peter,
I'm offended. Jane and I may need to go to Nanaimo for some brews so that you can make amends.

Sabretooth Tiger
September 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
How long a drive is Nanaimo from Victoria?

Peter Cruise
September 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Nanaimo is just over an hour from Victoria.

Hugh- you know I have attended your pool many times & find it very fine (except for the tendency for Rick Colella to show up & humiliate the rest of us), but Federal Way...I guess it's okay once you realize that what at first appears to be a perpetual traffic jam is really a community. By all means, come on up- but you won't want to return!

knelson
September 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
but Federal Way...I guess it's okay once you realize that what at first appears to be a perpetual traffic jam is really a community.

Hard to deny that one! :)