PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin Dead

geochuck
September 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM
The crocodile hunter Steve Irwin killed by a Sting Ray. Stabbed by the Ray in the chest. He was swimming on the great barier reef shooting a show.

geochuck
September 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I see it is on CNN now.

knelson
September 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
What a shame. I thought Steve Irwin was great. Yeah, he put himself in a lot of dangerous situations, but that's what he loved doing and he always was so stoked to be doing it. RIP Steve!

geochuck
September 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Here is the story. http://news.aol.co.uk/croc-hunter-steve-irwin-killed/article/20060904022709990009

dvarner
September 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Strange to hear that he felt that Australians resented him a bit for his over-the-top stereotype yet some of us (at least me...) found one more reason to admire them and desire to visit. Can't say Dundee had the same effect - maybe it was Steve's "wonder of it all" approach that made him accessible.

DV

USMSarah
September 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I just feel bad for his family. I think he was only 44 years old. How sad.

scyfreestyler
September 5th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Very sad indeed, although I can't say that I am really surprised. The guy gave little respect to mother nature's other creatures and something was bound to happen eventually. I can't help but recall the time when he was playing games with a croc while holding his infant son. Reminds me of a certain musician who dangled his child over the balcony of a hotel room.

knelson
September 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by scyfreestyler
The guy gave little respect to mother nature's other creatures and something was bound to happen eventually.

Totally disagree. I think he respected nature more than just about anyone. Something like this wasn't "bound" to happen any more than a policeman is "bound" to get shot.

scyfreestyler
September 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Totally disagree. I think he respected nature more than just about anyone. Something like this wasn't "bound" to happen any more than a policeman is "bound" to get shot.

Policemen typically wear protective clothing, aka. flak jackets, and they don't usually go around provoking gang members to shoot them. Dancing around a crocodile as it attempts to bite you is neither being respectful of it nor is it wise. The comparison to a public servant is not appropriate in my opinion. If Steve Irwin respected nature he would probably be alive right now. It is my understanding that Steve's cameraman irritated the ray causing it to lash out at them. Respecting nature means not backing animals into corners. Steve tempted fate for a living and it finally caught up with him. Too bad...I will miss his programs for sure.

steeldrum8
September 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I think it's really sad. Unfortunately, police, fire,soliders are all like Steve. They know their job is dangerous but they do it for the love anyway.

aquageek
September 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm 100% with scyfreestyler on this one. Dancing around in front of a crocodile to provoke an attack just to make money as an actor is completely different than being a policeman.

scyfreestyler
September 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by steeldrum8
I think it's really sad. Unfortunately, police, fire,soliders are all like Steve. They know their job is dangerous but they do it for the love anyway.

Quite often policemen, firemen, and soldiers are putting themselves in harms way for the beneift of another (often times to save the life of another). I am not saying what Steve did was not something he loved or that it is somehow not respectable but I don't think it's anywhere near the category of a fireman running into a burning building as others are running out, or a policeman attempting to disarm an armed man, or a soldier going on patrol knowing that the enemy has their sights on him but doing it anyways because the freedom of innocent people is on the line.

knelson
September 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I'm sure Mr. Irwin would have said he was putting himself in harm's way for the benefit of the animals he loved and wanted to protect. CNN reran an interview yesterday of Irwin on the Larry King Show from a couple years back and Irwin was pretty adamant about getting people excited about animals being the best way to get them involved in conservation. There's no question Steve Irwin got people interested in animals. Now, whether you believe helping animals is just as noble as helping people is another thing. I think it is but I know others will disagree.

In response to geek. Yes, Irwin made a lot of money I'm sure. I just don't get the feeling he was in it just for the money.

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I do the Baddigginnie(sp) aninal postal every year. There are about four Australians I e-mail at least once-a-week. None of them has said a word about this. Does anyone else besides me think ths is strange?

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I do the Baddigginnie(sp) aninal postal every year. There are about four Australians I e-mail at least once-a-week. None of them has said a word about this. Does anyone else besides me think ths is strange?