PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Amber23
September 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hi all, Im new to this forum. I was a highschool swimmer and have been swimming on and off since then. I have started swimming more regularly again but I miss the competition. I am interested now in doing some meets. How do you sign up? I mean, is the registration form all that you need? When you sign up it says you can select five different events, what if you want to do a relay? It says deck enter only, do you need a team or can you join another? LOL, sorry im pretty clueless about all of this. I was thinking of signing up for the 22nd annual GRIN fall classic. Has anyone swam this or have any info about it? Do you have to prequlify for events or do you just give them your time and go with it? I looked at the times from last years event, there are not very many people in my age group! There didn't seem to be many events swam by my age group either, does it matter if I want to swim an even that no one else in my age group enters? I will stop now and ask more later, lol.

newmastersswimmer
September 5th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Have you tried clicking on the link that says "Join USMS" yet? If you first click on "Home" on the top tool bar of the USMS homepage you should be able to find this link in the drop down menu.....You then have to click on the colored region of the provided Map of the US to get the information for your Local Masters Swim Committee (or LMSC for short).....The e-mail addresses as well as other contact info is provided for all of the officers for your LMSC after you click on the region of the US where you live....You can then contact one or more of your local officers to find out exactly what you need to do.

I can say for sure that it is not necessary that you have to be affiliated with a USMS team to register and compete in USMS....I competed as an "unattached" swimmer a couple of years ago....and will most probably register as unattached again sometime soon since there are no masters swim teams nearby.

Good Luck getting registered....and welcome to masters swimming!!

Newmastersswimmer

knelson
September 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
As Jim suggested, the first step is to join USMS if you aren't already a member. If you're a member all you probably need to do is mail in the entry form with a check and you're all set. To swim on a relay you must be on a team, you can't just latch onto one for that relay.

At these local meets typically everyone swims together: all ages and both sexes combined, so don't worry if there aren't many people in your age group. You'll be seeded along with everyone else by the seed time you give. And, no, you don't need to prove your seed times. Just try to enter with realistic times so you're (hopefully) swimming with other of similar speed.

One more hint, be careful with the five event limit. If this is a one day meet that might be too many events. Be particularly careful about entering back-to-back events. Sometimes these meets can run pretty quickly and there might not be too many heats in each event.

Good luck!

Amber23
September 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the information. I didn't even see the Join USMS icon, lol. There is a swim club here. I live in Bloomington, IN, so obviously there would be one, lol. Im not sure if I want join a team or go unattached at first. Probably unattached.

Originally posted by knelson
[B One more hint, be careful with the five event limit. If this is a one day meet that might be too many events. Be particularly careful about entering back-to-back events. Sometimes these meets can run pretty quickly and there might not be too many heats in each event.

Good luck! [/B]

I doubt I would enter 5 events. I was thinking probably just 2.

swim53
September 5th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Amber- the Fall Classic in Indy is a good meet.

strong440
September 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
hey Amber23, I hope you got the forwarded announcement I sent to your e-mail address. It's of our DOC- I.U. Masters Team get-together this Sunday to swim the 5K, a postal event that we swim each year. It would be a great way to start your Masters swimming career. 5K= 100 lengths of our 50 meter outdoor pool. 17th Street and Fee Lane should be only a bike ride away from anywhere in Bloomington!

Rob Copeland
September 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Amber,

Id recommend joining a team instead of registering unattached. But first go and visit the club to see if you like it. USMS allows new members a 30 day tryout period, giving you time to see if you want to register with the club or register unattached. However yu are not allowed to participate in meets until you do register.

Also unattached swimmers can not swim on relays.

Amber23
September 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks. I agree, I think that I would prefer to Join a team. I sent an email to you Strong about joining the IU masters team and about the meet this weekend. I unfortunatly have to work Sunday but I did call someone about trading me. Hopefully they will. I am not in very good shape yet, but I would still love to try the 5k swim! I don't know, I might drown, lol.

I am not registered yet though with USMS. I filled out the application, I just need to send it. Don't think there will be enough time though before Sunday.

Thanks everyone for the help!