PDA

View Full Version : Best Websites

Rob Nasser
September 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I know that there used to be an "official" set of awards for best websites out there and those have long since died.

Just curious now that everyone has better technology at their fingertips, what's out there now??

What are some of the best sites (local or regional) that you've seen out there? Considering looks, functionality, and informativeness (is that really a word)?

Perhaps a site that looks great, but doesn't offer much beyond a cover page, or a site that may have it all.

Just wondering....

Maybe we should put a poll out there from the top 10 listed here?!

michaelmoore
September 8th, 2006, 10:34 PM
MASCA, with Bill Volkening and Jim Matysek, created a top ten Masters Sites in 1999 and 2000. The chose what they thought were the top ten sites in the US, they looked at LMSC and clubs. I think it would be great to recognize good Masters web sites. I think it would help the webmasters to see what the others webmasters are doing.

Of course, one of the problems is just to maintain the website. It takes a lot of time to create a web site, then it takes a lot more time to keep it up.

michael

aquaFeisty
September 9th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I run my team's web site and am always looking for ways to improve it (I'm very much a newbie webmaster.) I'd be really interested to see other master's sites that people think are very cool/useful/all-around good.

Here are a couple that I like:
www.indyswimfit.com
www.mgmswimteam.org

Carrie

Nibii Inini
September 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the bit of gloss aquaFeisty! I made the indyswimfit site. What is the URL of your team site? Post it up... I'm sure someone around here has 2 pennies worth of ideas. Ill help anyway I can.

Also, Everyone is a newbie from time to time. Im a newbie posting here... ha!

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by aquaFeisty
I run my team's web site and am always looking for ways to improve it (I'm very much a newbie webmaster.) I'd be really interested to see other master's sites that people think are very cool/useful/all-around good.

Here are a couple that I like:
www.indyswimfit.com
www.mgmswimteam.org

Carrie

Carrie,

You have what looks like an awsome pool. Where is Mt. Greenway?

Craig

aquaFeisty
September 11th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Nibii,

Nice job. The Indy site has so much good info on it... very professional looking too. My team's site is:
www.napervillewaves.org
Feel free to shoot me an email anytime.

Craig,

Alas, that is not my pool or site... that is Mt Greenwood Masters. They swim on the south side of Chicago, I believe. I just really like the graphics design of their site... I think that Mark Urban - a swimmer on the team - took all the underwater shots (and maybe the other pictures too) that are on the site. very cool.

Nibii Inini
September 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Feisty.. I think you're beyond the newbie stage. Checked out your site and it is very nice.. way better than most other swimming and non-swim related sites. It looks like you're handcoding the php/html and actually formatting correctly! Actually using 100% of the screen, good color choices.. and its very organized looking.... big ups!

As far as looking for ideas... It depends on what you wanna do. Do you wanna use 3rd party tools and piece together a site... or do you wanna learn how to build fun tools from the ground up?

If its the latter, get a good book on php development. Php + Mysql + water = cool swimming sites.

Nibii Inini - Agwajiing!
(Water man - out!)

aquaFeisty
September 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Nibii,

Thanks for the kind words. I will check out some php books! (I have a fear of using 3rd party stuff simply because if it breaks I probably won't be able to figure out how to fix it!!)

Carrie

breastroker
September 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Michael, AKA prince of Darkness. That organization was MACA, for Masters Coaching Association.

What did MASCA do? Or did you mean Mascara?:D

Nice standing O you got at convention. You can now sleep more than 3 hours per night.