PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reese 2008 Olympic Coach

Peter Cruise
September 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I just saw Ed Reese listed as 2008 Olympic Swim Coach. He is a brave man to risk the wrath and excoriations he received last time around from certain posters in a particular discussion thread conducted in a peculiar manner (regarding relay selections).

Frank Thompson
September 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Peter:

I am sure that USA Swimming and the U.S. Olympic Committee did not check with that particular discussion thread for a reference in there evaluation of there selection as the head coach of the 2008 U.S. Men's Swimming team. Evidently they did not see him as being unprofessional, loser, arm chair hero, and a bureaucrat.

I am linking this post so that new people can see what you are talking about.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4704&perpage=15&highlight=loser&pagenumber=13

hofffam
September 9th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I root against the University of Texas but I like Eddie Reese. An oustanding choice for the US Olympic coach.

If you read the book "Golden Girl" you'll read that the selection of Olympic coaches is often influenced by who and how many swimmers are likely to be on the team from a particular coach. Reese is sure to have three (Hansen, Crocker, Peirsol), and possiby many more (Walker, Weber-Gale, Klueh come to mind). I bet Bowman will be an assistant. And who is Lochte's coach?

scyfreestyler
September 9th, 2006, 11:28 PM
No doubt Reese will have some people on the team, World record holders at that, but surely Bowman will have a few on hand as well. Vanderkaay(s), Vendt, Sandeno, Phelps, Tarwater. Phelps alone could win more gold than the Texas Trio by himself no?

ande
September 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM
here's several news stories on it
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22eddie+reese%22

not a surprise
eddie coaches the world record holders in
100 fl crocker
100 bk piersol
200 bk piersol
100 br hansen
200 br hansen
3/4ths of the world record medley relay and
1/4 of the world record 4 x100 free relay walker

plus several athletes who stand good chances of making the 2008 squad

there will always be critics with any controversial or difficult choice a coach has to make

my guess is eddie never read the usms thread

i'm sure they'll pick sensible assistant coaches based on who places athletes on the squad

ande

Originally posted by Peter Cruise
I just saw Ed Reese listed as 2008 Olympic Swim Coach. He is a brave man to risk the wrath and excoriations he received last time around from certain posters in a particular discussion thread conducted in a peculiar manner (regarding relay selections).

KaizenSwimmer
September 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Lochte is coached by his dad in club swimmingand by Greg Troy at Florida.
I found the choice of Eddie as men's head coach completely unsurprising. He's been the mens head coach since 92 and is at least as deserving as anyone else who could've been named. I was a bit surprised that Dave Marsh was not named women's coach -- though he may be thought a bit more a men's coach than a women's coach. But arguably he's the most successful "combined" college coach (i.e. coaching both men and women) of all time, and has had a great record of coaching nearly as well in LC as in scy, putting numerous athletes on the 2000 and 2004 Olympic teams, and seeing them medal.

swimr4life
September 12th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by totalswimm
I was a bit surprised that Dave Marsh was not named women's coach -- though he may be thought a bit more a men's coach than a women's coach. But arguably he's the most successful "combined" college coach (i.e. coaching both men and women) of all time, and has had a great record of coaching nearly as well in LC as in scy, putting numerous athletes on the 2000 and 2004 Olympic teams, and seeing them medal.

Jack Baurle is an awesome coach who definitely deserves his appointment as the 2008 women's coach. He has been head coach of the Georgia swimming and diving team for 28 years. He has built that team into a national powerhouse. In his career, Bauerle has led the Lady Bulldogs to four NCAA titles, four NCAA runner-up showings, and six Southeastern Conference crowns. He has been chosen as National Coach of the Year fives times and as SEC Coach of the Year 11 times.

Bauerle also has paid his dues at multiple international and national championships. He was a U.S. assistant coach at the 2000 Olympics in Australia and he was a personal coach during the 2004 Games in Greece. Bauerle also was the women's head coach at the 2005 World Championships in Montreal and was an assistant at the World Championships in 2001 and 2003. His other stints include the World University Games and the Pan Pacific Championships.

I'm not surprised at all that he was named women's coach.

KaizenSwimmer
September 12th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Certainly no one can fault Jack's selection. He's highly accomplished and most deserving.
Dave Marsh is all of that as well, and has Olympic coaching experience in 2000 and 2004. It's a foregone conclusion that he'll be selected as one of the assistants, but I expect I'm not the only one surprised that he was passed over.
The SEC can be proud that both will be on the staff.

Sam Perry
September 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Does anyone think sometimes these college coaches get slighted due to the number of foreigners on their teams? Heck Marsh could coach for about 5 different countries. Not to beat a dead horse, but it does look like there is special consideration given to those coaches that coach mainly American swimmers.

ande
September 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM
true, Eddie does not recruit foreign swimmers, a few foreign swimmers have swum at texas, but they wanted to go to Texas, Eddie didn't recruit them. Ed wants to give his limited scholarships to Americans. US olympic coaches should earn their Olympic slots from success they've had with American swimmers.

Assistant coaches will be selected based on who places athletes on the squad.

Ande

Originally posted by Sam Perry
Does anyone think sometimes these college coaches get slighted due to the number of foreigners on their teams? Heck Marsh could coach for about 5 different countries. Not to beat a dead horse, but it does look like there is special consideration given to those coaches that coach mainly American swimmers.

Jeff Commings
September 12th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Sam Perry
Does anyone think sometimes these college coaches get slighted due to the number of foreigners on their teams?

Somehow they looked past all that and appointed Frank Busch to the 2004 Olympic team. He didn't have one American swimmer on the team.

Sam Perry
September 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Commings
Somehow they looked past all that and appointed Frank Busch to the 2004 Olympic team. He didn't have one American swimmer on the team.

That is a good point. Maybe Mr. Goodsmith can express an opinion on this??!! Been a while since we had some good debate here...

Peter Cruise
September 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Oh Sam, I don't know...the original thread that Skip so obligingly linked for us might resurface (the kraken wakes) and bite us all...

knelson
September 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ande
US olympic coaches should earn their Olympic slots from success they've had with American swimmers.

US Olympic coaches should earn their Olympic slots from success they've had with swimmers.

By the way, I think Reese is still a good choice given this criteria.

Stillhere
September 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Peter & Frank:

You guys are really messing with nitro with those posts.
Sometimes it is better to let the dog sleep on the porch rather then twist his tail. ;)

Stillhere
September 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Peter:

The Kraken Wakes is an apocalyptic science fiction novel by John Wyndham. Reviving this thread would be a bad science fiction novel by the USMS Forum.

mattson
September 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Commings

I was having problems parsing that statement at first. I thought you said that the 2004 US Olympic team didn't have a single American swimmer on it. :eek: