PDA

View Full Version : No records for 25 events

breastroker
September 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM
The house of delegates voted down the proposed rule change to allow records for 25 yard and 25 meter events. It was written for swimmers 75 and above, but I believe the sense of the house is if it would ever get approved it would have to allow all ages 18 and up.

I spoke for this rule as it is clearly allowed by our mssion statement. This event would improve participation and include more people.

Please note that Australia Masters is WAY ahead of us and keeps records for 25 meter events (they don't have yards pools).

For instance the fastest 25 meters breaststroke is 13.54 seconds, and for my age group is 16.54

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I think this is great. If you set aside certain rules for one age group you are being very condesending(sp). I've was at a meet in bloomington, In once and an older man was trying to set a record in, I think, 100 butterfly. It was amazing to watch him do the race. what is so great about swimmingis that the distances never change only the swimmers.

Also, just because australia does something, it isn't automatically right. Australia can make a mistake.

breastroker
September 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM
You are correct
If you set aside certain rules for one age group you are being very condesending(sp).

I am in contact with many masters swimmers, and many older swimmers can only race 25 yards correctly, after that their stroke falls apart. I was there when the first man over 100 swam.

Just like the 100 IM, this event will take time to get used to. But if it adds fun to meets, brings in new swimmers who have never raced before, and allows older swimmers a chance of a record while they never would have a chance at it with the many genetically gifted older swimmers, I am for it.

I know a gentleman who has 3 Olympic Gold medals in track and field. He can no longer swim a 100 meter fly, let alone a 200. But he would be competitive in a 25 race.

You are being short sighted when you say the distances never change. Look at the Olympics records book!

When growing up, I trained only for the 200 meter breaststroke as that was the only one in the Olympics. Yet with a 10 foot 6 inch standing long jump, I would have been better training for shorter events.

Eventually the 50 events will be part of the Olympics just as they are part of World Cup events.

On another note, Tall Paul might be able to beat the other Smith in a 25 race. Beers could be won, and still have enough strength left to down properly.

For the record the 25 meter record is 11.73, butterfly 12.50, backstroke 13.54 and breast 13.54.

We can start an un-official USMS Top Ten for these events. WE are allowed to swim these events in meets now.

ande
September 17th, 2006, 02:13 PM
it would be GREAT fun to have 25 events in meets
how do we make this beautiful dream a reality?

Ande

breastroker
September 17th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Just like beer relays, it is allowed now. Just have your meet host include them. Most meets you will have to move the timers to the other end.

This rule was really about allowing records, which is what competition is about. Hey, we want to beat some Aussies:p

What I would like you to do, is post best 25 yard and 25 meters times on this thread.

Once the powers that be see we are serious, we will get the records.

It took several years to get with the rest of the world when we finally got short course meters.

Peter Cruise
September 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM
It just means the Smiths will get to the cooler that much faster...

meldyck
September 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I dunno, Peter. You take the rate at which the Smith Bros claim they are aging (and sagging in the middle), fold in the tme it takes to get anything changed in USMS and I'd bet that the time between the starting block and the cooler will stay pretty much the same.

-- mel

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM
As I said before a 25 is a dive, a few dolphin kicks and 10 yards of swimming.

lefty
September 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
As I said before a 25 is a dive, a few dolphin kicks and 10 yards of swimming.

I agree! Now may the best man (or woman) win!

ande
September 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Swimming organizations need to recognize and introduce Dolphin Kicking as the 5th Stroke

if I wrote the rules,

the swimmer needs to dolphin kick, her legs have to move together in a dolphin manner,
the only arm use is as follows
the swimmer may take one arm stroke before turning and
the swimmer may move one or both arms to her side once per length,

Arm Position:
she may be streamlined,
have her arms by her side or
one arm forward and one arm by her side

body position:
a swimmer can kick on her back, either side or belly
the swimmer can touch with one hand

Turns:
the swimmer may take one arm stroke going in to a turn similar to backstroke turn rules

touch:
can touch with one or 2 hands

Should the 15 meters underwater rule apply?

what else?

ande

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
For a 25 free why do we have to do anything other than get there on top or under the water. Dive in and touching any part of the body at the finish just no jumping off the bottom.

Jeff Commings
September 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Ande, they used to have Monofin World Championships about 10 years ago. It was quite serious. I think I remember Jenny Thompson and Misty Hyman competing.

There would never be a new sport or new event that involved underwater swimming, for the same reason they disallowed swimmers to kick more than 15 meters underwater: safety.

You'd have to have a lifeguard or trained personnel on each swimmer in the pool at one time. Knowing some of my present and former colleagues, they would take it to the point of passing out, and their brains would keep their legs going until they hit the wall. Trust me. You don't want to see this happen.

Now, about the 25s. I don't see the point. Plus, can you guarantee that every meet you go to will have touchpads at the 25-meter wall? Or do you want to solely rely on timers? Personally, I trust the touchpad.

Swimmer Bill
September 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
My personal feeling about the proposal was it would have created a separate class of competition for one sector of our membership. Based on our mission, that concept seemed a little off-center. Had the proposal included all members, it may have had greater success.

SB

aquageek
September 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
A few meets I have been to have the 25 for first time meet participants as a way of encouragement. No points are given.

I think having the 25 as a competitive event is ridiculous. There's a reason you stop swimming 25's when you join the 9/10 age group.

The Fortress
October 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hey, we have 25s in meets here in the Potomac Valley. On Oct. 29, we have the George Mason Sprint Classic. At the end of the conventional races, there are 25s of each stroke -- billed as the battle of the true drop dead sprinters. Suggest it to one of your meet directors. Leslie