PDA

View Full Version : No 25 records

breastroker
September 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
The house of delegates voted down the proposed rule change to allow records for 25 yard and 25 meter events. It was written for swimmers 75 and above, but I believe the sense of the house is if it would ever get approved it would have to allow all ages 18 and up.

I spoke for this rule as it is clearly allowed by our mission statement. This event would improve participation and include more people.

Please note that Australia Masters is WAY ahead of us and keeps records for 25 meter events (they don't have yards pools).

For instance the fastest 25 meters breaststroke is 13.54 seconds, and for my age group is 16.54

There was nearly 45 % of the delegates that voted for this rule. Next year it would take 90%, but the following year we would need 66%.

We will rewrite this rule each and every year until it is approved.

Warren
December 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I hope this rule gets approved because that would fun racing in 25's.

Swimmer Bill
December 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I voted against this proposal because it would have created a separate class of competition for one sector of our membership. Writing the proposal exclusively for the 75+ age groups probably wasn't the best idea.

:2cents:

Muppet
January 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Some meets have 25s as unsanctioned events. They're really popular at the GMU Sprint Classic. They're clustered at the end of the meet after the "real" events are over, and everyone is allowed to swim all four strokes.

Quite fun!:)

Warren
January 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I hope they have the sprint classic again next year becasue I want to do some 25's.

Redbird Alum
January 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Some meets have 25s as unsanctioned events. They're really popular at the GMU Sprint Classic. They're clustered at the end of the meet after the "real" events are over, and everyone is allowed to swim all four strokes.

I suspect they need to be after "the end of the meet" as the entire meet would be at risk for sanction violation if they were interspersed throughout the sanctioned events, or held prior to the true end of the meet.

I personally think that this should be considered again, for all age groups, so that the events could be run as part of the meet.

I also wonder if the rule is re-written to cover all age groups, does it have to garner the hifgher approval vote? Essentially, it would be a wholly different rule, wouldn't it?

jpheather
January 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I suspect they need to be after "the end of the meet" as the entire meet would be at risk for sanction violation if they were interspersed throughout the sanctioned events, or held prior to the true end of the meet.

They do not need to be after the end of the meet.

From article 202.1 of the USMS Rule Book: Sanctioned events may include nonconforming swimming events so long as they are conducted in a safe manner. Nonconforming swimming events are events not defined in article 102.5 or that would typically result in the disqualification of participants as defined in article 102.15. USMS records and Top 10 times shall not be maintained in nonconforming events.

Redbird Alum
January 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't there be an issue with the USMS insurance coverage, regadlessof how safely the event is attempted?

jpheather
January 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Wouldn't there be an issue with the USMS insurance coverage, regadlessof how safely the event is attempted?

No, insurance coverage is in effect if it sanctioned.

Redbird Alum
January 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Well! If that is the case, we could effectively start local grass roots efforts by starting to include some 25 swims in our regular meets.

That might be one way to get more people to realize what is at stake prior to the next vote.