Peter Cruise
September 16th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Best thread you've ever started, John.

geochuck
September 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM
ditto ..

newmastersswimmer
September 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I think I'm finally seeing where you're coming from on this one John.....Yaeh it totally makes sense to me now...LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

dvarner
September 17th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Periodization?

bobatwork
September 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM
?

TheGoodSmith
September 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Perhaps this will be the thread that finally launches me to the top for the coveted "most controversial thread" of the year award..... :-)

Actually, I started this thread and tried to delete it but the system wouldn't let me.

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Please do not delete this thread it is one that I can finaly understand ..........?????

Peter Cruise
September 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Actually John, this is really showing a kinder and gentler side of you, your feminine side if you will, sharing your . with us.

Paul Smith
September 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM
The softer side is coming from his mistake in taking estrogen vs, testosterine......john read the labels next time you mail order perfromance enhancing goodies from another country!

Racer X
September 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM
1st the . then the Manssierre.

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Manssierre is that the bro-bra by Jerry's friend Krammer

Racer X
September 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
That's the one. Kramer and George's dad team up to create the ultimate male bra-the Manssierre. Funny as hell and perfect for those Testosterone challenged males over 50.

Sam Perry
September 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
What I like about these forums...

Start with the "." title and now we are talking about the Mansierre (sp?) or also known as The Bro.

where is this heading?????

ande
September 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
john

were you indicating to the group that you were on your

"." ?

do you have cramps?

raz

Sam Perry
September 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It could be his "." or his ":"

Maybe he had a typo???

Racer X
September 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Could be cramps either way.

newmastersswimmer
September 18th, 2006, 04:22 PM
One thing is for sure though....John makes his "point" very clear in this thread...har har

Newmastersswimmer

ande
September 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
john is the master of masters brevity
the sultan of succincticity
the pundit of pithyness
our fearless laconic leader

He's always had a way with words and images
he drew some remarkable drawings on the locker room chalkboard that still to this day fondly linger in my memories

ande

Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
One thing is for sure though....John makes his "point" very clear in this thread...har har

Newmastersswimmer

TheGoodSmith
September 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Perhaps I can win the coveted "Most inspired thread of the Year Award" with this one.

John Smith

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 05:14 PM
This thread is becoming very popular "."

newmastersswimmer
September 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
This thread is becoming very popular "."

originally posted by geochuck

Well at least no one can say this thread was completely "pointless" har har.

Newmastersswimmer

gull
September 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Wait a minute...this thread has something to do with TI, doesn't it?

geochuck
September 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Gull that is not nice....

gull
September 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Could be a noodle, seen end on.

Or it could be Geek's--

newmastersswimmer
September 19th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Gull likes to push the envelope a bit eh?...Careful now Gull....there are boundaries (of a sort I think??) here now LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

Sam Perry
September 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I think it might have something to do with VO2 Max development at early stages of life.

bobatwork
September 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
. ? :(

Peter Cruise
September 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Bobatwork- you really, truly don't want to know...

bobatwork
September 20th, 2006, 03:10 AM
. ? :( (Peter Cruise) ;) ??

swimpastor
September 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
!

geochuck
September 20th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I am so anxious to get back to this thread to see if anything new has been added.

I now get up at 5am, forget the coffee and get to the computer to see how many bright comments have been made.

May I add this as a second thought ',,,"...><???/!#$$$%%%^^***

kokkole
September 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I'm watching this thread from Italy. Like George, I'm not sleeping at night...

I'm wondering, maybe John's "." isn't a period. Maybe it's a dot. Maybe he's starting a dotcom, and this is subliminal (free) advertising...

He is brainwashing us all!

BillS
September 20th, 2006, 06:04 PM
In his pithy, laconic way, John has cleverly and succinctly refuted the tired and recurring anti-immigrant scholarship argument of That Other Smith by referencing Harry Nilsson's seminal animated film The Point (circa 1971). You will recall that the message of The Point was all about inclusiveness and open-armed acceptance of those who happen to be different from us -- whether late bloomers, supplement gobblers, or even (the horror!) Canadians who formerly sold books. I've had the song "Me and My Arrow" bouncing around in my head for days now.

Thanks, John, and well argued.

bobatwork
September 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
My vote for best comment is for BillS. I assert that it is
brilliant, erudite, and bespeaks the incredible knowledge
of a remarkable scholary person.

I wake at 4AM to hungrily look for the latest additions to this thread.

bobatwork
September 20th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I've got it, by George I think I've got it!! It is actually
elementary my Dear Watson.

What does the symbol "." generally represent, and what is
the context of where this symbol was displayed?

The symbol represents a period or a point and the context
is the USMS discussion board. So the posts message is:

Focus on the POINT of why we took up swimming during the PERIOD when we are swimming. We should not get distracted
and lose the focus. This way we will all get the greatest
return on our investments of time in our respective swimming
endeavors.

So now I think I will vote for this post as the best one so far.

kokkole
September 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Oh my goodness... I remember the film "The Point"...
I am revealing my age... and perhaps my ethnicity?

This thread is deep, profoundly deep. John is a man of insight... :cool:

Paul Smith
September 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry all....but you haven't figured it out yet.

"." is all tnat is left of the mangy Texas longhorn tattoo evil smith felt necessary to get in the midst of his mid life crisis (which started in '84 but is still raging today).

As some will recall, JS attempted to have a 50 back showdown with Clay Britt at nationals last May.....leading up to the meet he was practicing starts in a 3' deep pool and hit bottom scratching all traces of the tattoo off his shoulder xcept "."!

The saddest part of all was JS was so psyched out by the impending showdown that he missed his heat!

geochuck
September 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
I remember only one POINT, it was called Coffee Break POINT. It was the POINT that George Mezzadra from Argentina named in the Chicotimi Race, it was 20 miles down the Saguenay River, the POINT were we turned into the Bai De Ha Ha. The current was so heavy at that POINT only two swimmers got around the POINT the rest were stuck at Coffee Break POINT they could not make any headway for 2 hours. Therefore it was called Coffee Break POINT from then on.

letsrace
September 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM
swimpastor, has become argumentative.

I like the dot com theory. John is trying to prove that he can pace things. He is starting with the '.' and is working slowly toward the '.com'.

TheGoodSmith
September 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
I can not take full credit for this intuitive thread. Evil Paul Smith was on the phone with me when I created/designed it.

I would also like to thank The Evil One for teaching me the proper way to do a backstroke turn at Coral Springs Nationals. He is the only 8 foot person I know who can lead going into the wall and come out a full body length behind the entire heat. The "." represents all of my compliments on his race strategy after the event.

John Smith

Racer X
September 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
Aha, it has now become perfectly clear. "." is short for .45 or the amount of time John needs to cut off his beloved 50 freestyle in order to beat his nemesis, Paul, at the 2008 Worlds, where they will again compete against each other in the hotly contested 45-49 age group. It is more than a year and a half a way, and already, the tension is so thick, you can cut it with a knife. John has already started the David and Goliath campaign with multiple references to his bean pole arms, size 10 1/2 feet, soft underbelly, had to go sit in the girls section at the Worlds, etc etc.

Prior to editing, John's actual post read-

.45 seconds

If you could cut .45s off your LCM 50 freestyle time by using legal supplements for the next year and a half and you went from 4th in the World to World Champion and BEAT PAUL SMITH, would you do it? Some things are worth more than money......:D

newmastersswimmer
September 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM
Aha, it has now become perfectly clear. "." is short for .45 or the amount of time John needs to cut off his beloved 50 freestyle in order to beat his nemesis, Paul, at the 2008 Worlds, where they will again compete against each other in the hotly contested 45-49 age group.

originally posted by Racer X

Perhaps you are on to something Racer X......but if 0.45 seconds is how much he must cut off of his 50 free time to break Paul's World Record in the 50 free.....then I wonder how much time he would have to cut off of his best 200 meter fly time to break Dennis Baker's record?.....Something over 0.45 seconds I'm guessing...LOL!!...(and it would be very entertaining to watch I might add..LOL!)

Newmastersswimmer

White Buffalo
September 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Racer X
I seem to have read the Younger Smith beat the Older Smith in one race, possibly the 100 free?
If that is the case, it seems that the Younger Smith may have "overtrained" or relied on "talent", unlike others, which makes his complaining ridiculous and his need to do anything in the future without merit.
WB

TheGoodSmith
September 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
A rare sighting of the great white buffalo.

John Smith

Racer X
September 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
The Motor City Madman is playing in my head.

Whack em' and Stack em'!

A.K.
September 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
- .... .. ... .. ... .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- .- ... . -.-. .-. . - -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . -- . ... ... .- --. . - --- .- .-.. .-.. ..- ... -- ... -- . -- -... . .-. ... .-.-.-

Peter Cruise
September 23rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
I think that is past time that we lifted the elaborate web of deceit that has descended to cloak the truth of the original posting, alleged to have been authored by John Smith a.k.a. "The GoodSmith" (recently cited approvingly in the usaswimming forums by a certain late bloomer).
Some of you may remember the last time that a GoodSmith posting showed signs of profundity, sensitivity and downright good sense. Well, yes, it was a rather long time ago, but the point being that some of us were rather suspicious of some 'Goodsmith' postings that stood out as particular paragons of posting prowess, that ultimately were unmasked as being authored by his wife! Now I believe that she did promise not to do it again and I have no reason to disbelieve that-so...I propose that some other entity in the GoodSmith household, perhaps a family pet (likely a gerbil), created the "." that John is currently falsely taking credit for.

Out damned spot!

MichiganHusker
September 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Is it a dot or a jot? Anyone remember that Sunday a.m. cartoon?