PDA

View Full Version : Eat before workout or not?

swimindy
September 16th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I can't figure out if a person is suppose to eat something before a workout. If so, it's hard to do at 4 a.m.

Thoughts . . .

nkfrench
September 16th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Usually I just have a Diet Coke if I'm looking at an easy short workout, but if it will be something more substantial I like to have a very light "pre breakfast" on my way to the pool - like a 1/2 banana or 1/2 a bagel. Pick something that will taste pretty much the same going down as it would if it came back up. Afterwards is the time for something more substantial. Your mileage may vary.

USMSarah
September 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I don't. If I have anything in my stomach besides water, I'll throw up.

I wait until after practice to eat. It tastes so much better because you're raveneously hungry. That's just me.

lindsay
September 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I always have the same problem. I prefer to eat after the morning workout. But, while swimming and doing all these harder sets for enduarnce / speed endurance I fear that I might faint. This stupid fear makes my workout less enjoyable. And it is like an obsession. Even when I do not feel weak at all my imagination works, because I am aware that muscles must be glycogen depleted, and then I have a feeling as if I were really getting week. This feeling gets so realistic! However, it must be only imagination because somehow I survive and nothing bad happens.

Of course, I could eat some breakfast before, but I hate doing that so early. Besides, I read that if you eat nothing prior to exercise it helps you in burning fet and staying slim.

Is it possible that you may faint or nearly faint out of exhaustion if you do not eat before workout in the morning? Or are your glycogen stores sufficient for 90 minutes of swimming at HR around 140-160 bpm?

globuggie
September 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I always eat something small, like a banana or a granola bar or a handful of cereal. Otherwise, I'm starving 30 minutes into practice, and I can't complete the sets at my normal intensity. Of course, I'm a breakfast person. If you usually eat a small breakfast or no breakfast altogether when you're not swimming in the mornings, you may not need anything before you swim.

gull
September 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you're working out early, your glycogen stores from the night before should be adequate.

I always have a latte (180 degrees, of course) on the way to practice.

dvarner
September 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
If I'm thinking straight I'll grab a granola or fig bar and eat in the car on the way over. Seems to help prolong early morning energy and plain enough not to show up again.

DV

Allen Stark
September 17th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I can't workout on an empty stomach. I fix a strawberry smoothy the night before and drink it when I get up.

geochuck
September 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Small meal before, French toast with a little salt (no powderred sugar), fried egg sandwich, toast peanut butter and strawberry preserves, anything small that tastes good and I need my coffee.

Dominick Aielloeaver
September 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Also remember . What time did you have supper, or a snack before giong to bed. And what time you get up in A. M. Some people can hardly eat breakfast. But it is in important to put some kind of food in your system. Dom:) :cool:

chickadee
September 18th, 2006, 03:48 PM
If I swim at night, it is easier. I eat well during the day and then a light snack about one and half hours before swimming, usually a half peanut butter sandwich. Lots of fluids. The hard thing is not piggy out when I get home at 9:30 at night. I'm always craving nachos and a beer... fat and alcohol bad mix for recovery.

If it is 5 am swim - it is harder, but I try to drink oj and/or drink gatorade on the way to the pool, and then eat a decent size breakfast with lots of protien afterwards.