PDA

View Full Version : We should host THE USMS annual "Threadies"

Pages : [1] 2

ande
September 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
you know, i was just talking with goodsmith and we decided

We should host THE USMS annual "Threadies"

which categories should we recognize roast and honor usms threads, topics post, etc ...

use your imagination

ande

stussy96
September 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
This reminds me of The Dundies, from the tv show The Office. :cool:

Sam Perry
September 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by stussy96
This reminds me of The Dundies, from the tv show The Office. :cool:

Nice, only we if have the award ceremony at Chili's with the Karaoke machine.

gull
September 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Here are a few categories:

Best Avian Avatar

Most Annoying Anonymous Poster (would not be able to accept the award in person)

Best Smith (or Worst Smith--could be the same, I suppose)

Favorite Closed Thread

Perhaps the "Speedo Guy" could be the host (unless Amanda Beard is available).

Peter Cruise
September 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Great idea! Of course we would have to unearth someone who is used to a rigourous application of the scientific method to collate and evaluate the results. It would help if he was in no way tied to any of the contestants by bonds of affection or mutual respect, so no bias could be alleged. Perhaps an international background and experience in many different club backgrounds...

aquageek
September 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I think we should have a category for most annoying foreign poster, and limit nominees to those from Canada.

I would also like to commend gull80 for sticking with his avatar of a mangy avian flu chicken-hawk.

Seagurl51
September 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
That's a great idea Ande!

Lest we forget the soap opera.... :D We have to go back aways to get nominees. There's some oldies but goodies!!

And don't forget the poetry either...

newmastersswimmer
September 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Seagurl!! Wassup these days? Swimming much?

Newmastersswimmer

Sam Perry
September 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I think we should have a category for most annoying foreign poster, and limit nominees to those from Canada..

I am shocked you wouldn't include Romania in that category???

stussy96
September 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by gull80

Some people think I look like her. So if I show up that can count.

Note: I would be clothed.

Sam Perry
September 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by stussy96
Some people think I look like her. So if I show up that can count.

Note: I would be clothed.

If this it true, you are more than welcome!

Seagurl51
September 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
Seagurl!! Wassup these days? Swimming much?

Newmastersswimmer

Hey Jim!! I send you a PM.....

dorothyrde
September 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by gull80
Favorite Closed Thread

I would rather have that Italian relay team!:D

aquaFeisty
September 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I would rather have that Italian relay team!

Now THAT is a great idea!

:D :D

geochuck
September 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I nominate the best thread award goes to The Good Smith, any seconders please "."

ande
September 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM
we need enough Categories so most folks walk away winners or at least thoroughly roasted

categories:

Best Avatar

Most Annoying Anonymous Poster
(would not be able to accept the award in person)

Best Smith (or Worst Smith--could be the same, I suppose)

Favorite Closed Thread

definitely need a host

I'd propose:

Post of the year
Thread of the year

strangest post

most prolific poster

most hilarious poster

most enigmatic poster
we need many many categories

put on your thinking caps

ande

scyfreestyler
September 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Person whose posts resemble a novel more than a forum comment.

Person with the least amount of respect for TI.

thewookiee
September 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Best feud of the year among two(or more) posters.

gull
September 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ande
we need enough Categories so most folks walk away winners...

We're all winners, Ande--right?

By the way, that's Best Avian Avatar.

newmastersswimmer
September 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I nominate Frank Thompson as the most knowledgeable poster....(but he may also be in the running for the one whose posts resemble a novel more than a forum comment as scy freestyler mentioned......The more knowledgeable you are, the more you have to say I suppose?)

I nominate Peter Cruise for being the most verbally complicated poster...LOL!

I nominate Ande for being the most helpful poster (with all of his hints for swimming faster faster....and his "ask ande" thread)

As far as the Smiths go...well thats an entire subspectrum in and of itself really...LOL!

o.k. and I nominate myself for being the geekiest poster.....(but I already won an award for being the biggest geek back in high school!!)

Newmastersswimmer

newmastersswimmer
September 20th, 2006, 02:27 PM
As far as the "Avian" Avatar category goes Gull.....Well I am sort of leaning towards Geek's description of your avatar: ...i.e. a "mangy avian flu chicken-hawk" I think are the exact words he used.

Newmastersswimmer

Swimmer Bill
September 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'd like to nominate myself in the "Taking the Bait" category.

Oops!...I did it again

:eek:

Swimmer Bill
September 20th, 2006, 03:43 PM
...oh yeah...I'd like to nominate Mark Gill for Best Avatar.

TheGoodSmith
September 20th, 2006, 03:51 PM
International or foreign posters are free to participate in this contest on their own, but we should not use US public tax dollars to fund their advancement at the expense of US citizens vying for these coveted awards ..... :-)

John Smith

aquageek
September 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
International or foreign posters are free to participate in this contest on their own, but we should not use US public tax dollars to fund their advancement at the expense of US citizens vying for these coveted awards ..... :-)

John Smith

GOOD ONE!

mattson
September 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I think we should have a category for most annoying foreign poster, and limit nominees to those from Canada.

I'm amazed you didn't make the obvious joke... by asking for "most annoying", you *have* limited it to those from Canada! I don't believe that, just saying it as a potential punchline.

newmastersswimmer
September 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the PM.....I just sent you a reply.

Take Care Seagurl (I hope to see you around here more?)

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
September 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM
I bumped two of my favorite threads up that I think should be taken into consideration when handing out these coveted Threadies....

Caped Crusader
December 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Person whose posts resemble a novel more than a forum comment.
Person with the least amount of respect for TI.

The first would be Terry. The second would be anyone who starts a post with "I hate TI." I saw that. Don't go back and edit.

I'm staying anonymous so I can be in the running for enigmatic or annoying.

Based on my limited forum experience:

Best zingy one-liners: Geek
Purple prose: Peter Cruise
Helpful: Ande
Engimatic Anonymous: Some Girl
Swimming Science Award: Lindsay
Opinionated: GoodSmith
Hilarious: Fortress
Prolific: Geochuck
Informative: Frank Thompson
Most Frank: Islandsox
Best Medical Advice/Pithy Comments: Gull
Most Controversial Thread of the Year: "Why more men?" although it's
heavily deleted. But it has the words "baby farm" in it ...
Best Closed Threads: Anything with Ion
Best Post: ??? Gotta re-read. So many to choose from. Any
suggestions?

The Fortress
December 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
These come most quickly to mind:

Favorite post: Geochuck: "Women are smarter than men."

Favorite avatar: Jim Matysek. He got rid of that wizard and now has a picture of someone sitting at their computer desk bashing their head on the screen.

Funniest line: LBJ: "A doctor and a lawyer kissing? I'd like to see that."

Funniest image: Geek: "Sitting on a rock in the desert with your legs crossed and humming a tune doesn't change that."

Best song: Ande

Most pain-free shoulders: Terry Laughlin

Funniest newbie: Richjb

Funniest comment: SolarEnergy, who likes to curse more in French than English

Most controversial recent thread: "Freestyle Stroke Question"

Best Set: Dave Barra 67 x 50 fly

Best physiological observation: SwimmieAvsFans' theory about backstroke and hyperextended elbows

SwimStud
December 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Funniest newbie: Richjb

Hey, are you commenting on my crawl ? ;)

...aw thanks for the nod..I aim to cause a smirk, groan or guffaw.

You like me...you really, really like me!
:rofl:

newmastersswimmer
December 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Don't forget the category of Best Signature....(goes along with the categories of best Avatar and best forum name). Any nominations for that category.....As politically incorrect as this is....I'm going to go ahead and start the nominations for this category with my own signature.....a classic quote from Albert Einstein that rings so true for those of us in the academic industry...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

Caped Crusader
December 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Best feud of the year among two(or more) posters.

I haven't been here all year, but there was a dangerous/amusing volume of this :argue: on:

"Freestyle Stroke Question:" Geochuck/Gull/Geek vs. Terry

"Are Shoulder Injuries Due to Improper Mechanics?" and "Shoulder Clicking:"

Terry vs. Fortress

"Why More Men?" women vs. men

SwimStud
December 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
If we host a formal affair will it be black tie? I'm not sure if my Speedos will match...:woot:

fanstone
December 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Within my modesty I must confess I want to be thinner not because it will make me faster but because I will look better at the pool and everywhere else. I once put on some fancy Oakleys on a hike and someone asked me if they were good shades, and I answered, no, they just make me look good and also look good in the pictures...I figure that being thinner will help in the butterfly but won't make much difference in the freestyle. I also have figured out, after swimming for the past two years, not much, just three or four times a week, doing about 2-3 kms each time, will not make me lose weight. I got to go with a reasonable diet. But, within the confines of my, how do I put this, my conjugal life, my wife notices my hardened muscles...The last time I was with such good muscles was when I did the weight lifting thing, eons ago. Swimming is probably better than the weight room. But I feel the need for either running or cycling. Take care, billy fanstone

Muppet
December 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I nominate The Fortress for Most Prolific Poster... 568 and counting in 4 months...

:dedhorse:

chaos
December 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
damn the pressure to come up with an avian avatar.
would a penguin count? flightless...true; but good swimmers!

swallow? hey that reminds me of a joke. this guy walks into a bar....you know the rest.

Caped Crusader
December 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I nominate The Fortress for Most Prolific Poster... :dedhorse:

This :dedhorse: doesn't seem real nice to me. :dunno: The Fortress is a good poster. Better than the one liner you just slung. Should we insult all newbie posters so they get off the forum? Seems like a lot of other newbies have been posting lately too, including myself. Maybe you don't want anyone to crash your party?

It sounds like you need to get rid of your mustache or your significant other may be gone. :D

The Fortress
December 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I nominate The Fortress for Most Prolific Poster...

Ouch! Thanks, though, Batman.

I nominate you for "Guy Most Likely To Swim Blazing Fast With A Haircut, Shave and Taper at Nationals." (Ande told us to be imaginative.) :thhbbb:

swimmieAvsFan
December 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I nominate you for "Guy Most Likely To Swim Blazing Fast With A Haircut, Shave and Taper at Nationals." (Ande told us to be imaginative.) :thhbbb:

i second that nomination! :D

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I nominate The Fortress for Most Prolific Poster... 568 and counting in 4 months...

Jeez I had best step up my posting...only got 99 in a little over a month...I want to be the King troll here! :applaud:

Muppet
December 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
This :dedhorse: doesn't seem real nice to me. :dunno: The Fortress is a good poster.
It sounds like you need to get rid of your mustache or your significant other may be gone. :D

Batman, you do have a good point about the horse, but as I mentioned to the Fortified One over PM, I am probably the poster most likely to insert a horse or banana randomly into a post. No maliciousness there....

Re: Mustaches...
Spitz drew the attention of inquisitive Russians back in the day. They all wondered how his 'stache helped his swimming (obviously it didn't hurt it). He told them how the hair folicles provided a mechanism for water to flow away from the front of his mouth, thus making it easier to breathe with less water in the way. At the next big meet, the Russian (men's) contingent was all mustachioed.

:banana:

Caped Crusader
December 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM
e: Mustaches...
Spitz drew the attention of inquisitive Russians back in the day. They all wondered how his 'stache helped his swimming (obviously it didn't hurt it). He told them how the hair folicles provided a mechanism for water to flow away from the front of his mouth, thus making it easier to breathe with less water in the way. At the next big meet, the Russian (men's) contingent was all mustachioed. :banana:

Very cool. I'm hoping this works in the open water too.

I now nominate you "Best Rationalizer." I have to stick with Frank Thompson on Best Historian though.

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Beth McGee (Swimr4Life): Most Inspirational Poster.

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Beth McGee (Swimr4Life): Most Inspirational Poster.

I second that. And, she's the most inspirational swimmer too.

:notworthy:

swimr4life
December 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Fortress and Swm4life ...Oh wow. You girls have made my day! I love you!:smooch:

swimr4life
December 6th, 2006, 11:56 AM
I nominate you for the most likely to instigate an argument and offend "baby farmers".

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Gee, Lisa, so nice to see you back. Seems like you were just hijacking the college thread. Shouldn't this nasty little post be in PM or are you not taking your own advice? I think this post is reportable.

swimr4life
December 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Man Lisa....talk about a party pooper. :thhbbb:

Caped Crusader
December 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM
SwimmerLisa:

This is exactly the kind of post I was told to avoid in the "delete button" thread when I joined -- an outright personal attack of the lowest kind.

I actually enjoyed reading the Fortress' wrangling with Terry on the shoulder injuries thread, if that is what you're referring to (although from your bitter post, you appear to have some long list of grievances). Maybe she's faster than you?

In any event, you're sure not all sweetness and light. So, because of your evident viciousness, I'm nominating you for:

"Worst Post of the Year"

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Muppet:

Actually the time period is 2 months and 6 days. The first month which was October was 351 for an average of 11.38 per day. I remember this from another thread because Fortress was writting a brief on restrictive convenants and found discussions on butterfrog and other topics just as interesting. She said her production would go down and it did in November to 162, which is half of the first month. This month its up to 48 and counting. I think that October figure has got to be close to a record even though George Park said he posted 325 in one month. By the way George only posted once in the last 15 days of November. That is so unlike George. He must be occupied with his swim school in Mexico.

Now, there is nothing wrong with frequent posting and I am not listing this as to criticize or leading people to a room in a house and then burn the house down. As long as people like discussing a topic and find the topics interesting, then it promotes goodwill to the members of the USMS discussion forums and others from around the WWW who read and observe what we discuss. Now when things get out of control like they do now and then is when we have to worry. By the way I am proud that there has not been a locked out forum in over a year.

Caped Crusader
December 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
By the way I am proud that there has not been a locked out forum in over a year.

I think we should lock SwimmerLisa out. She was not promoting goodwill.

swimr4life
December 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Even if we don't agree and may not like what each other says....we are all entitled to our opinions. We should try to be civil though.

swimmerlisa
December 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
you dont have to lock me out, i'm out.

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Woa! So much for the sisterhood!?:blah:
What happened to you today?

On a happier note, I'd like to nominate Fortress for:

poster most likely to turn people onto this forum (I loved the "Why more men" thread) - and make them feel welcome regardless of their background and opinions

poster I'd most like to emulate - okay I have a LONG WAY to Tipperary here, but, I aim high!

:notworthy:

knelson
December 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I think we should lock SwimmerLisa out.

Boo! No one needs to be locked out. Everyone's entitled to their opinion here. We don't need censorship.

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
How does "locking out" even work? Can't you log in with a different email address or as a guest? And if it reads your IP address, don't a lot of us have multiple computers at home?

Oh, and I'm not for locking out either. I'm actually surprised I've not been thrown out yet!

Caped Crusader
December 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Boo! No one needs to be locked out. Everyone's entitled to their opinion here. We don't need censorship.

You're right KNelson. I was really just J/K-ing and parroting Frank's words. I just though SwimmerLisa's remark was unnecessary and over the top in the insult category. Maybe you should get "Best First Amendment Protector"? :D Maybe Best Freestyle Picture" too.

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
How about a "lock-in" we can hit the pool, do some sets... play a little water volley-ball, some water-polo, and then head to the bar for the rest of the night!

Who is with me? Woo-hoo! :groovy: :banana: :drink:

I almost forgot; we can play some ABBA and sing-a-long...

knelson
December 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Only if it's "Fernando."

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
You're right KNelson. I was really just J/K-ing and parroting Frank's words. I just though SwimmerLisa's remark was unnecessary and over the top in the insult category. Maybe you should get "Best First Amendment Protector"? :D Maybe Best Freestyle Picture" too.

What I was referring to is locked out thread and not locked out individual. I don't really know if there has been locked out individuals but I sure there have. The locked out threads however are not privacy protected and you can see those threads by the picture of a pad lock and an X below the last post of the locked thread. That means the posts on the thread began as cival, then turned into war and got completely out of control and had to be locked out for more contributing by the members of this forum. This is an activity that has not been done in quite a while and I know at one point it seemed to be going on all of the time. So progress as been made as far as that goes.

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Only if it's "Fernando."

Arrrrggh My coworker has been playing it over and over again..and singing along which has begun to grate....:frustrated:

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
How about a "lock-in" we can hit the pool, do some sets... play a little water volley-ball, some water-polo, and then head to the bar for the rest of the night!

Who is with me? Woo-hoo! :groovy: :banana: :drink:

I'm in! So we've got one of us from CT, one from Atlanta, and one form Seattle. Where would me meet? I guess the fairest locale would be Las Vegas. Which begs the question (one my husband's been asking), when is the next big Vegas masters meet being held?

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Favorite Closed Thread

Frank:

Man, you're really in the know about these lockdowns. I'm glad we are more civil than in previous years. What's your vote for Gull's category of "favorite closed thread?"

Kristina:

You go girl! It is a long way to Tipperary, but you're racking up those posts today! :groovy:

CreamPuff
December 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Frank:

Kristina:

You go girl! It is a long way to Tipperary, but you're racking up those posts today! :groovy:

I know! It's a long, long path. ;)

Dare I say that you guys make it fun to be sick!

:groovy:

islandsox
December 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think it is a Hoot that Frank is counting posts instead of being in the pool counting laps. The more posts, the better.

And Swimmerlisa, you don't have to go anywhere (locked out), just use PM if you feel the need to blast someone.

Maybe it is a full moon?

I nominate Frank as our Mathematician.

I nominate Terry for Most Free Advertising on a forum.

I nominate the Fortress for engaging people into solid discussions.

I nominate Solar for his short replies that say the most.

These nominations can be both a roast and a toast, right?

Donna

poolraat
December 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'm in! So we've got one of us from CT, one from Atlanta, and one form Seattle. Where would me meet? I guess the fairest locale would be Las Vegas. Which begs the question (one my husband's been asking), when is the next big Vegas masters meet being held?

I've yet to see any big masters meets in Vegas. They do have the State Senior games but that is for the over 50's.:groovy:

I could go for a big meet there. It would be great to meet you guys.
Just remember....."What happens in Vegas......."

Caped Crusader
December 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Islandsox: "Most Gracious In Response To Personal Insults" :bow:

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Foreign Swimmers:

Funniest Canadian: Geochuck
Brainiest Canadian: Tie: Solar & Lindsay
Best Writing Canadian: Cruise
Best Writing Honduran: Islandsox

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I nominate the Fortress for engaging people into solid discussions.

Thanks Donna. If I win, do I get a crown and can I say: "I wish for world peace" like the beauty queens do? :rofl:

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Just remember....."What happens in Vegas......."

Good...I don't want any photographic evidence of my frontcrawl being saved for posterity and the amusement of this crowd :joker:

islandsox
December 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Fortress,

Of course you can, but I want my crown, too. I think I highly deserve it after this afternoon's ***-for-tat. How long do I get to keep my crown? A year? And if you are going to use the "I wish for world peace", then I'll have to use "I hope to end all hunger in the world during my reign."

Anxiously awaiting my crown,

Donna

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Fortress,

Of course you can, but I want my crown, too. I think I highly deserve it after this afternoon's ***-for-tat. How long do I get to keep my crown? A year? And if you are going to use the "I wish for world peace", then I'll have to use "I hope to end all hunger in the world during my reign."

Anxiously awaiting my crown,

Donna

Donna

You already wear a crown to me...after all what else is a secret crush for?

Rich ;)

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Donna .. You already wear a crown to me. Rich ;)

Rich:

This is absolutely the nicest, sweetest thing anyone has said all day. :notworthy:

I now nominate you for "Best Complimentor."

islandsox
December 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Me, too, me, too!! Rich gets Most Funny and Most Complementary. But can his big head hold two crowns? :rofl::rofl:

Donna

SwimStud
December 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Me, too, me, too!! Rich gets Most Funny and Most Complementary. But can his big head hold two crowns? :rofl::rofl:

Donna

aww can I help it if I don't need to shave down to be smooth??? *wink*:cool:

islandsox
December 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Awwww, Rich, my hero,

Say, where's Frank? Am I posting enough today? I'll never catch up with Fortress but I'm on a roll anyway.

Donna

Frank Thompson
December 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=The Fortress;69461]Frank:

Man, you're really in the know about these lockdowns. I'm glad we are more civil than in previous years. What's your vote for Gull's category of "favorite closed thread?"

Fortress:

I will let Geek, Gull, and the Smith's decide that. The point I was trying to make is that we have not had any lockdowns or closed threads and thats an improvement. I will leave you with an excellent quote by Jim Matysek about the lockdowns and this will explain what went on a lot better than I have explained it.

A Return to Civility

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past few weeks, several threads on these forums have been plagued with off-topic remarks and hijacking of threads, baiting of other members, thinly veiled personal attacks, and other unwelcome posts. I've just closed these threads to further posting. We tried letting these threads go through their own cycles recently in hopes that people would work our their differences and the forums would return to normal on their own. That experiment ends now.

We will now begin a zero-tolerance policy. If you engage in any of these activities, your account will be banned. Our policy is to start with a 2 week ban for your first offense and double it for each successive offense. If you attempt to get around the rules by using alternate accounts or your offense is flagrant, your ban will be more severe.

Users of these forums need to be aware of two things. First, we have many potential new members of USMS who read these forums. What kind of impression of our organization do you think these recent threads give to these visitors? All users of the forums are expected to behave in a civil fashion when posting. Second, there have been calls from various levels of our organization at various times to shut down the forums altogether. The fact is that monitoring these forums and taking these actions takes valuable time away from our staff that is supposed to be used developing useful things for our members. When things get out of control on the forums, some question their value. For the record, I personally believe that shutting down these forums would be a very bad idea.

There will be no warnings on policy enforcement, and all decisions are final. We have to clean up the forums, even if it means that some of our regular posters will no longer be here. We're not saying that everyone has to agree with everyone else and join in group hugs. Spirited debate is welcome, as long as the debate is in regards to a swimming topic and doesn't get personal. Also, retaliation will not be tolerated. If you feel that someone has attacked you, report the post rather than replying in kind. We'll evaluate all such reports, but may not take any action if we do not agree that a post was in violation of policies

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
[quote=The Fortress;69461]If you feel that someone has attacked you, report the post rather than replying in kind.

Jim Matysek has quite a way with words, as well being smoking fast in the water. Great points! That's why I was wishing for world peace.

The Fortress
December 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I changed my mind.

Best Avatar: Richjb

ALM
December 6th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Here are a few categories:

Best Avian Avatar

....And the "Best Avian Avatar" goes to...

THE JAYHAWK!!!!

[From the 1995-96 KU Basketball Media Guide]
"The word 'Jayhawk' was first used in present-day Kansas about 1858. It was associated with robbing, looting and general lawlessness. During the Civil War, however, it took on new meaning.

Dr. Charles R. (Doc) Jennison, a surgeon, used it in 1861 when he was commissioned as a colonel by Kansas Governor Charles Robinson and charged with raising a regiment of cavalry. Jennison called his regiment the 'Independent Mounted Kansas Jayhawkers,' although it was officially the First Kansas Cavalry and later the Seventh Kansas Regiment.

During the Civil War the word Jayhawk became associated with the spirit of comradeship associated with efforts to keep Kansas a free state. And following the war most Kansans were proud to be called Jayhawkers.

By 1886, the University of Kansas had adopted the mythical bird as part of the KU yell."

The first Jayhawk was rendered in 1912. Over the next 30 years, there were a number of versions of the mythical bird. The traditional smiling Jayhawk, pictured in the winning avatar, was drawn in 1946 by Harold D. Sandy and has been the official Jayhawk for the last 50 years.

Anna Lea

Caped Crusader
December 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM
the spirit of comradeship

I like your avian avatar too. You have my vote. Although Richjb may take the overall avatar category award.

Can we have nominations for "spirit of comradeship"?

In the interim, I additionally nominate:

Best Workouts: Dave Barra
Best Swim Coach: Quicksilver; Swimr4Life
Best Doctor: Gull
Best Lawyer: Fortress
Fastest/Enthusiastic Newbie: Swm4Life (Kristina)
Worst Apologizer: Terry Laughlin
Person Most Missed At The Moment: Geochuck
Best Ex-runner converted to Swimmer (that I know of): Poolraat or MSwimming

Back to work.

newmastersswimmer
December 7th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I want to officially nominate nkfrench for best overall avatar (and this appears to be one of the most hotly contested categories right now.....with an subcategory already created specifically for Avain Avatars...LOL!!....Is there a subcateory for best green fish head avatar as well?)

Newmastersswimmer

gull
December 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
The Jayhawk is mythical, whereas the Gull is...legendary.

SwimStud
December 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM
"AL-BA-TROSS!"

The Fortress
December 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Newmastersswimmer: You're so right!! I forgot about NKFrench's avatar. It's awesome. This is clearly the best race. It looks like you're winning with that academic signature. I do like Michael Heather's "Smithers, Wax My Noggin" though.

I also nominate:

Heather Howland (HHowland) for "Best Sprint Advice" and "Best Short sprinter/FormerGymnast." :applaud:

Worst Swimming Device: Big Giant Paddles

ALM
December 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM
The Jayhawk is mythical, whereas the Gull is...legendary.

Gulls are a dime a dozen... even here in Kansas.

But there's only ONE Jayhawk.

-

CreamPuff
December 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I like your avian avatar too. You have my vote. Although Richjb may take the overall avatar category award.

Can we have nominations for "spirit of comradeship"?

In the interim, I additionally nominate:

Best Workouts: Dave Barra
Best Swim Coach: Quicksilver; Swimr4Life
Best Doctor: Gull
Best Lawyer: Fortress
Fastest/Enthusiastic Newbie: Swm4Life (Kristina)
Worst Apologizer: Terry Laughlin
Person Most Missed At The Moment: Geochuck
Best Ex-runner converted to Swimmer (that I know of): Poolraat or MSwimming

Back to work.

Thanks so much. That makes my day - especially coming from BatMan. However, I am now (S)he-Man (obviously, the second step-cousin to BatMan, twice removed). I will try my best to live up to the name.

:woot:

SwimStud
December 7th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Oh wait now Kristina...did I just lose my "best avatar" crown? :applaud: :p

We need separate boys and girls sections...

poolraat
December 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Oh wait now Kristina...did I just lose my "best avatar" crown?

I think you just got bumped to 2nd place.

The Fortress
December 7th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Bumped big time! Although I am married, I am still part of the sistahood, so I nominate:

Kristina (S)he-Man:

Best Avatar (sorry no boys & girls. all out win.)
Hottest Avatar (same, unless you persuade me otherwise.)
Hottest Chick in a Fastskin
Best Purchase in the last week
Best Picture on the Forum

With respect to the fifth nomination, I would note that there are two close seconds on the forum: (1) that picture of Speedo-Man/Geek that Gull is always posting. Now, Geek claims it isn't him, and if he's doing all that cross-training he says he is, it probably isn't. But who really knows?, and (2) that picture of a noodler in a flowered bathing cap that Geochuck posted awhile ago.

Caped Crusader
December 7th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Kristina:

As a Batman to a (S)he-man, you've earned ithat nomination! I have to say, however, or I might be killed, that my dear wife looks pretty hot in her fastskin bodyskin too. I think Rich jb has posted a fraudulent picture of "himself" as a body builer that looks decidedly unlike the one where everyone thinks he has a cute butt. You girls.

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Kristina:

As a Batman to a (S)he-man, you've earned ithat nomination! I have to say, however, or I might be killed, that my dear wife looks pretty hot in her fastskin bodyskin too. I think Rich jb has posted a fraudulent picture of "himself" as a body builer that looks decidedly unlike the one where everyone thinks he has a cute butt. You girls.

Everyone thinks it's cute...aw gosh Some_Guy I'm flattered in "those glutes could crack walnuts" kind of way...

Caped Crusader
December 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM
My glutes are just fine Rich. I hit the gym a lot even though weights are purportedly not that good for distance swimming. They're good for other stuff.

I nominate the "Inspirational Thought" thread for "Best Swimmer Dating Advice"

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I nominate the "Inspirational Thought" thread for "Best Swimmer Dating Advice"

hehe it's all sooooooooooooooooo easy in hindsight is all I have to say about it...:)

The Fortress
December 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I don't like your new avatar Rich. What happened to the cute bum? Now, you're just another fish in the sea. Put it back!

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I don't like your new avatar Rich. What happened to the cute bum? Now, you're just another fish in the sea. Put it back!

I can't compete with ol "hotlips" up there so...the Ryukin will stand (or swim) for the interim lol :joker:

CreamPuff
December 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I can't compete with ol "hotlips" up there so...the Ryukin will stand (or swim) for the interim lol :joker:

Okay - I'm way zonked out on zyrtec (this stuff clears up symptoms but makes me woozy and tired) - but, I'm feeling the pressure to change up the avatar a bit. . . what on earth to do next? Ugh. Room is spinning. All I know is I better not change my pic when on these icky drugs. You guys are too encouraging - in both good and bad ways.

;)

Tomorrow's meet should prove very challenging.

:help:

SwimStud
December 8th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Okay - I'm way zonked out on zyrtec (this stuff clears up symptoms but makes me woozy and tired) - but, I'm feeling the pressure to change up the avatar a bit. . . what on earth to do next? Ugh. Room is spinning. All I know is I better not change my pic when on these icky drugs. You guys are too encouraging - in both good and bad ways.

;)

Tomorrow's meet should prove very challenging.

Well don't change it on my account--I'm just kidding around. I change mine lots.
That picture is funny, and totally cool. There is nothing unseemly about it whatsoever. I only mentioned hot lips because the rest of you head was cut off. :)
Rich

Rob Copeland
December 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I'm feeling the pressure to change up the avatar a bit. . . what on earth to do next? Ugh.
How about a photo of you and Santa swimming in the reindeer relay at this weekend’s St. Nick meet?

CreamPuff
December 8th, 2006, 04:17 PM
How about a photo of you and Santa swimming in the reindeer relay at this weekend’s St. Nick meet?

Awesome idea!!! :groovy: I remember swimming that relay four years ago in 2002 when Marty Hamburger was the Dynamo Masters Coach. See you there Rob.

Caped Crusader
December 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Worst Word In a Non-Food Post: "Hamburger"

Most Controverisal Thread: "Swimming Theories:
(no contest here it was just closed, bumming out Frank)

The Fortress
December 9th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Worst Word In a Non-Food Post: "Hamburger"

I second that nomination. Hamburger is for eating, not for mud slinging.

I would also like to nominate Peter Cruise for "Best Words" in a post: He actually used the words "Diogene lamp." Cool!!

islandsox
December 9th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Well, since I am eating my own hat today here are two more:

Most Embarrassed Author of a Thread: Islandsox

and

Almost the Shortest Career at USMS Forum: Islandsox

I'm keeping it light from now on. Still learning at almost 59.

Donna

SwimStud
December 9th, 2006, 01:05 PM
RichJB: Most likely to lose their temper trying to get their Christmas Tree up!

:frustrated: :dedhorse: :frustrated: :dedhorse: :frustrated: :dedhorse: :frustrated: :dedhorse:

"Where's the Tylenol?"

islandsox
December 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Rich,

It's the lights, huh? Or does your dog think he can do it better and is giving you too much help:rofl:

Donna

SwimStud
December 9th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Lotta sap!

..and the dog just peed on my firewood tote...that will add a nice aroma to the fire... UGH!

The Fortress
December 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Lotta sap!

..and the dog just peed on my firewood tote...that will add a nice aroma to the fire... UGH!

Can you please explain further who these two guys on your signature line are? This is probably as dense as not knowing that Geek's picture was from Deliverance, but I was just curious.

New nomination: Geek: "Best Ripped Off Avatar"

SwimStud
December 10th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Can you please explain further who these two guys on your signature line are? This is probably as dense as not knowing that Geek's picture was from Deliverance, but I was just curious.

Well it's a sad day when a Brit has to explain that George Bailey is the main character in "It's a Wonderful Life," and Clark Griswold is the dad of the Griwswold family in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (well all of the "Vacation" movies not just the Christmas one).

"You understand now, Grasshopper?"

The Fortress
December 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Well it's a sad day when a Brit has to explain that GEorg Bailey is the main character in "It's a Wonderful Life," and Clark Griswold is the dad of the Griwswold family in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" (well all of the "Vacation" movies not just he Christmas one).

"You understand now, Grasshopper?"

I'm sorry then that you're feeling like Clark Griswold today. I haven't watched that movie either. I've watch the other one, but my MMA makes me incapable of remembering anything. I am not a Grasshopper. I am a mermaid. And my avatar is staying put. My teammates gave me that name because of my fin use. That's staying put right now too. :rofl:

SwimStud
December 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry then that you're feeling like Clark Griswold today. I haven't watched that movie either. I've watch the other one, but my MMA makes me incapable of remembering anything. I am not a Grasshopper. I am a mermaid. And my avatar is staying put. My teammates gave me that name because of my fin use. That's staying put right now too. :rofl:
OK I 'll be dense now what's MMA?

The Fortress
December 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM
MMA = multi-tasking mommy alzheimers. Many of us suffer from it. It is truly an epidemic. I wish there were a crusade against it.

SwimStud
December 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM
MMA = multi-tasking mommy alzheimers. Many of us suffer from it. It is truly an epidemic. I wish there were a crusade against it.

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You haven't gotten Mr Fortress to get around to the foot massage yet have you?

Have you not heard of Dr Jack Daniels? He has a wonderful way of making it all disappear!
Mrs RichJB doesn't like him though so she will give Nurse Appletini a call...
:joker:

poolraat
December 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Rich,
Why don't you have Grinch on your meter?
For me it would be Grinch on one end and Griswold on the other.

poolraat
December 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I like Poolraat's idea of the Grinch.

Not feeling quite so Grinchy today. I had just spent most of the day decorating the house when I made that comment.....I must've went up and down that ladder a thousand times. It snowed yesterday and THE PACKERS WON!!! Have a little more holiday spirit now.

SwimStud
December 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Not feeling quite so Grinchy today. I had just spent most of the day decorating the house when I made that comment.....I must've went up and down that ladder a thousand times. It snowed yesterday and THE PACKERS WON!!! Have a little more holiday spirit now.

Well see the laddering would take you over to Clark Griswold...you're trying to love the holidays but it's hard work and things are going wrong.

George on the other had is the nicest guys in town and loves the holidays but feels the world is collapsing around him...

The best spot it to be in the centre there...peace on earth etc.

As for the Grinch...it has little meaning for us Brits...we didn't grow up with it..so... Bah! Humbug!:groovy:

islandsox
December 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I want to nominate the following post for most humorous replies:

Chlorine + Bad Ventilation

Donna

scyfreestyler
December 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I want to nominate the following post for most humorous replies:

Chlorine + Bad Ventilation

Donna

Oh my, you are soooooo right about that one! That guy was IM'ing me on AOL trying to get me to agree that he would be okay. :rolleyes:

islandsox
December 11th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Matt,

Yours and Dave's replies, as well as others, cracked me up like I have not been cracked up in a long time. I was :drink:something and when I read them, it all went airborne. I mean the whole thing was: this is not typical, dude and an Ibuproferen won't fix it.

Donna

Caped Crusader
December 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM

I guess we cannot nominate your for Grinch then. Who can we nominate without being uncivil? Maybe we should do Santa nominations? Most Generous?

I think Richjb gets "Most Frequent/Funny Avatar Changer." :drink:

SwimStud
December 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I think Richjb gets "Most Frequent/Funny Avatar Changer." :drink:
Wait until I start drinking at Christmas and pose in my (hopefully) new race suit...Kristina will take her Avatar down in shame..

Side note: This youn(ger than me) girl was smiling at me this evening at the pool...I think I knocked of a few seconds just from that rush!

...or maybe she was thinking "WTH is that jackass doing over there?"

Caped Crusader
December 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM
If you're going to change your user name to "Ho, Ho, HO," can't you ditch that user title of Richjb? Othewise, I'm not nominating you anymore, Dude. :rofl:

SwimStud
December 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If you're going to change your user name to "Ho, Ho, HO," can't you ditch that user title of Richjb? Othewise, I'm not nominating you anymore, Dude. :rofl:

I nominate Some Guy as best necro-poster!. :dedhorse:

Tree
December 12th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I nominate Peter Cruise for being the most verbally complicated poster...LOL!

I support this nomination. They are so complicated that I always think probably I should really go back to English school and make up for the time I wasted there.

I am not a native English speaker. :notworthy:

The Fortress
December 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I support this nomination. They are so complicated that I always think probably I should really go back to English school and make up for the time I wasted there.

I am not a native English speaker. :notworthy:

That Cruise guy is awesome. :applaud: Maybe if he finally gets over that bronchitis he will come back and amuse us all.

In case you were wondering (sorry if you already know) his reference to "Diogenes lamp" is to the cynic Greek philosopher Diogenes who would walk through the streets of Athens with a lantern in broad daylight in search of an honest man.

:rofl: He used to run a book shop, but he's not the only one who reads!

Caped Crusader
December 12th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I nominate Some Guy as best necro-poster!. :dedhorse:

This is creepy, Rich. ;) I'm going to be good guy and nominate you for
"Best Newbie Breaststroker."

I also nominate "Tree" for "Most Unconventional User Name On A Swim Forum" and Concho Pearl for "Best Swimmer With No Coach" (I'm sure there are others, but she posted a video.) Kudos.

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
This is creepy, Rich. ;) I'm going to be good guy and nominate you for
"Best Newbie Breaststroker."

I also nominate "Tree" for "Most Unconventional User Name On A Swim Forum" and Concho Pearl for "Best Swimmer With No Coach" (I'm sure there are others, but she posted a video.) Kudos.

Well this morning, you could nominate me for:

"Most like to reverse into his garage door before it's fully open because he is late..."

It's not the first time either. The lesson? Do not circle swim with me if I am doing backstroke! :rofl:

chaos
December 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I guess we cannot nominate your for Grinch then. Who can we nominate without being uncivil? :

I would gladly accept that nomination. I hate the hollidays! They totally screw up my routine; too many parties, pool closures, etc.
I hate eggnog!
I hate those stupid blow up lawn things!
I hate fruitcake!
I don't need/want another sweater that someone else picked out.
(i would insert a dead santa smile thing here...but none exists)

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM

You need a BB gun to remedy that, but be careful; you'll shoot your eye out!

Caped Crusader
December 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I would gladly accept that nomination. I hate the hollidays! They totally screw up my routine; too many parties, pool closures, etc.
I hate eggnog!
I hate fruitcake!

I agree. Plus, you have to shop...sometimes in malls. If you're accepting the nomination for Grinch, you better accept the nomination for Best Workouts too. On a side note, I applaud you for hiring a car to pick up your mother-in-law. I've thought about doing the same thing for my kid. I don't want to drive her to her obscenely early am practice. I'm not as tough as KNelson and not as excited about pools. Plus, if she's going to get eaten, I don't want to drive her to the fire.

swimr4life
December 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I hate eggnog!
I hate fruitcake!

Oh come on grumpy gills. Maybe , like the Grinch, you can have a change of heart........in honor of Dr. Seus....

"It couldn't be so! But it WAS merry! VERY!
He stared down at Whoville! The Grinch popped his eyes!
Then he shook! What he saw was a shocking surprise!
Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small,
Was singing! Without any presents at all!
He HADN'T stopped Christmas from coming! IT CAME!
Somehow or other, it came just the same!
And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow,
Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so?"
"It came with out ribbons! It came without tags!"
"It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
And he puzzled three hours, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"
And what happened then? Well...in Whoville they say,
That the Grinch's small heart Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute his heart didn't feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light,
And he brought back the toys! And the food for the feast!
And he, HE HIMSELF! The Grinch carved the roast beast!"

:wiggle:

poolraat
December 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
in honor of Dr. Seus....

Did you look this or is it from memory? My kids are in their teens and I can still remember the Dr. Seus books we read over and over and over.....
(my favorite is Green Eggs and Ham)

The Fortress
December 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Way to go Beth! Did you type all that?

I nominate Beth for Mrs. Clause.
I nominate Geek for Grinch cuz he doesn't like smilies or "emoticons."

islandsox
December 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
This is for Chaos (Dave). I love Christmas and I love eggnog, but I want you to know that if you have a problem with fruitcake, not to worry. It is my understanding there is only one fruitcake in the world and everyone just keeps giving it to "people they love."

And Rich, Natty Yellow Trunks? Yikes--remove it, now! He looks like a Honduran and I live here amongst them and even though many are fine people, Natty Trunks reminds me of the ones I don't like!!! The ones that pray on us older fat women for money like we will be turned on because they have beaut bodies. The ones who think if they buy us a bag of french fries, we will swoon.

Or, was that you? :rofl:

Donna

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
This is for Chaos (Dave). I love Christmas and I love eggnog, but I want you to know that if you have a problem with fruitcake, not to worry. It is my understanding there is only one fruitcake in the world and everyone just keeps giving it to "people they love."

And Rich, Natty Yellow Trunks? Yikes--remove it, now! He looks like a Honduran and I live here amongst them and even though many are fine people, Natty Trunks reminds me of the ones I don't like!!! The ones that pray on us older fat women for money like we will be turned on because they have beaut bodies. The ones who think if they buy us a bag of french fries, we will swoon.

Or, was that you? :rofl:

Donna

I'll put it like this....Just keep your eyes open for me trailing you on the 18miler next year sugarpie ;)
hehe:joker:

Peter Cruise
December 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I really think that the Administrators of these forums deserve the 'Endlessly Patient' Award for wading through an ocean of our profundities to spot the point where we collectively start drowning in dangerous whirlpools of obfuscatory and sometimes meretricious postings.

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I really think that the Administrators of these forums deserve the 'Endlessly Patient' Award for wading through an ocean of our profundities to spot the point where we collectively start drowning in dangerous whirlpools of obfuscatory and sometimes meretricious postings.

and don't even start with the avatars...

The Fortress
December 12th, 2006, 07:35 PM
and don't even start with the avatars...

But I just started. Look at me, I'm sprinting into the pool.

SwimStud
December 12th, 2006, 07:46 PM
But I just started. Look at me, I'm sprinting into the pool.

ROFLCAKES hehe

swimr4life
December 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Did you look this or is it from memory? My kids are in their teens and I can still remember the Dr. Seus books we read over and over and over.....
(my favorite is Green Eggs and Ham)

I LOVE DR. SEUS! There is a lot of wisdom in those "silly" rhymes!! I read them a lot when I was little and then again when my girls were little. I definitely looked the poem up....although some of the lines I remember very well!

swimr4life
December 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Way to go Beth! Did you type all that?

I nominate Beth for Mrs. Clause.
I nominate Geek for Grinch cuz he doesn't like smilies or "emoticons."

Aww....you just made my day Fortress!

I nominate you for CUTEST AVATAR!!!! Is that your little girl in the picture? She is adorable!

Muppet
December 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Since "Daughter of Fortress" seems to be getting a lot of press and inquiries around here, I would like to nominate the nickname "Jersey Wall" for her. Lil' Fortress just doesn't do it for me.

:joker:

Tree
December 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
In case you were wondering (sorry if you already know) his reference to "Diogenes lamp" is to the cynic Greek philosopher Diogenes who would walk through the streets of Athens with a lantern in broad daylight in search of an honest man.

:rofl: He used to run a book shop, but he's not the only one who reads!

I also googled this Diogenes. It turned out he lived his life in a tub.

Yes. Peter Cruise is awesome. The fact that it always takes me several minutes to understand Peter's words reminds me some painful memories:). Back to 1998 when I was a University student, a national English exam was scheduled in July. Believe it or not, the university would not give you the Degree unless you pass this English exam. :mad: Unfortunately, the Worldcup 98 in France( it is a football event or score event in American English) was also taking place in July. Consequently I had to watch the games in the midnight due to the time difference between China and France and sleep in the English class the day after. And we got a vocabulary book alphabetically printed to help us memorize the word( the first section are the words starting with A, second section with B, etc). I started reading this book when I wake up. And you can imagine there was not much time left for the class after I wake up. So I always stayed in the A section, the furtherest was B section, never been to C section. The exam was a disaster. For the entire listening part, I almost understood nothing useful to pick the right answers but two words: sonar and dolphin. I came out the room wishing that I could have the access to that magic vocabulary book. :help:

Fortunately I can use the dictionary now when I read Peter's post. And I have to admit that I use it a lot when Peter appears. Also at such time I really wish that I could finish my university English vocabulary book, at least should reach C section. Therefore I nominate Peter Cruise for the Most English Dictionary Promoting Poster in this forum. :applaud:

Tree
December 13th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I also nominate "Tree" for "Most Unconventional User Name On A Swim Forum" .

Wow, this is amazing. I would like to thank...... But most of all, I would like to thank Mr. Moderator of this forum. I had chosen LI, my surname, to be my User Name. But it was denied since LI was already taken. So I chose whatever came to my mind. And it was TREE. And you know the worst thing is that I never see this LI in this forum.:confused: So Mr. Moderator, if you are listening, please allow me to change my User Name to LI, please. :joker:

Tree
December 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Look at me, I'm sprinting into the pool.

Sprinting girl,

Your picture looks like the action in a film Charlie's Angels except they fully extend their both of their arms while you do not. :thhbbb:

Caped Crusader
December 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I also googled this Diogenes. It turned out he lived his life in a tub.

He must have liked to swim. I guess it's like an endless pool.

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Aww....you just made my day Fortress!

I nominate you for CUTEST AVATAR!!!! Is that your little girl in the picture? She is adorable!

Beth:

That is the real Lil Lil Fortress, my still adorable 6 year old. The other one whose times Mr. Batman/Angel was trying to research, I sometimes am forced to refer to as "Rude Hormonal" Fortress. As Muppet suggested, sometimes a "Jersey Wall" would be helpful with that one. And I have to take her to yet another prelim/final meet this weekend at my own pool, which trumps all my weekend practices ... I hope she swims well so there will some of this :smooch: and not any of this :argue: .

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Your picture looks like the action in a film Charlie's Angels except they fully extend their both of their arms while you do not. :thhbbb:

Tree:

Hey, you're funny. Keep posting. I don't watch enough movies apparently. I missed Deliverance in high school, so I didn't realize that Geek really is Speedo-Man and not Guitar Man. I didn't see Charlie's Angels either. I did see Casino Royale though, and I thought Daniel Craig was quite hot. In fact, I'm changing my name to Vesper. :rofl:

swimr4life
December 13th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Beth:

That is the real Lil Lil Fortress, my still adorable 6 year old. The other one whose times Mr. Batman/Angel was trying to research, I sometimes am forced to refer to as "Rude Hormonal" Fortress. As Muppet suggested, sometimes a "Jersey Wall" would be helpful with that one. And I have to take her to yet another prelim/final meet this weekend at my own pool, which trumps all my weekend practices ... I hope she swims well so there will some of this :smooch: and not any of this :argue: .

Your Lil Lil Fortress is adorable. AHHHH, I miss those little girl days. I also have a "Rude Hormonal" Swimr4life at my house...I feel your pain. This too shall pass.....say it with me now....!:rofl:

Around the age of 17 they come back to you and are human again! I have an 18 year old that just came home for the holidays from UGA!!! YEAH!! She went through this phase of "alien invasion" and we both lived to tell about it!

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Your Lil Lil Fortress is adorable. AHHHH, I miss those little girl days. I also have a "Rude Hormonal" Swimr4life at my house...I feel your pain. This too shall pass.....say it with me now....!:rofl:

Around the age of 17 they come back to you and are human again! I have an 18 year old that just came home for the holidays from UGA!!! YEAH!! She went through this phase of "alien invasion" and we both lived to tell about it!

Then we'll have to nominate our daughters for the "Rude Hormonal Alien" swimming award. It's a tie. Let's make it a really big whopping trophy. I hope you're right that the aliens vacate the premises or I might not survive. My 14 year old boy is quite peaceful most of the time ... except when he's harassing his sisters ... So I guess, given all we put up with, we should nominate ourselves for co-swimming-mothers-of-the-year. :woot: Anyone else wants to join the club, please RSVP.

Caped Crusader
December 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Wow, this is amazing. I would like to thank......

Li/Tree: Don't mention it. I liked your former name.

Tall Paul's new avatar looks pretty good, but his dog isn't as cute as Islandsox's dog. I like Muppet's avatar too. But what animal is it exactly? A cow? Eeyore? I can't tell.

Fortress, I hope your real Lil Lil Fortress starts kicking your butt in fly soon. If not, I hope she torments you by playing travel soccer.

New nomination: Swimr4Life: "Most Hilarious Christmas Carol Adaptations."

SwimStud
December 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Li/Tree: Don't mention it. I liked your former name.

I hate that new avatar too, Richjb. I think it is an insult to this forum. It is not very civil. Can't you be an angel? Tall Paul's new avatar looks pretty good, but his dog isn't as cute as Islandsox's dog. I like Muppet's avatar too. But what animal is it exactly? A cow? Eeyore? I can't tell.

Fortress, I hope your real Lil Lil Fortress starts kicking your butt in fly soon. If not, I hope she torments you by playing travel soccer.

I nominate TheFortress for "forum Wife" She seems intent on nagging me about my avatar...I am just paying my resepcts to the late Peter Boyle. I will changing my avatar tomorrow, because I want to ...not from any pressure from you! :p :p and :p

Anyhow I'll be off to swim shortly... a late one tonight gonna do BREASTSTROKE 100's on 4 and some 50's on 2... :)

poolraat
December 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
...I am just paying my resepcts to the late Peter Boyle. I will changing my avatar tomorrow, because I want to ...not from any pressure from you two!

I think it's great that you remembered him by using something from this film. One of my favorites.

swimr4life
December 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I think it's great that you remembered him by using something from this film. One of my favorites.

I'm so sad.....my husband and I were just watching Everyone Loves Raymond (my FAVORITE TV SHOW!) and he told me Peter Boyle had died! :( i'm glad rich remembered him. I had no idea that was why you chose that avatar earlier! He was such a funny man...."Holy crap"

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I nominate TheFortress for "forum Wife":p

I am so sorry for ragging on your avatar after reading Beth's message!!!! My very bad.

swimr4life
December 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM

AWW! Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Allen Stark
December 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Our daughter is now 25 and has been wonderful since about 16. Fortunately for me she was harder on my wife than me. My wife said her point of view then was "everyone hates me and it's Mom's fault. Having 2 son's also I'd say the difference between adolecent boys and girls is:girls want to fight with you and boys want to act like you don't exist.

The Fortress
December 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Our daughter is now 25 and has been wonderful since about 16. Fortunately for me she was harder on my wife than me. My wife said her point of view then was "everyone hates me and it's Mom's fault. Having 2 son's also I'd say the difference between adolecent boys and girls is:girls want to fight with you and boys want to act like you don't exist.

Your wife nailed it!

Allen Stark & Wife: Best Empathizers

Allen Stark
December 13th, 2006, 10:59 PM
The great psychoanalyst Helena Deutch said "adolescence is the second most difficult phase of life,the most difficult is parent of an adolescent"

Peter Cruise
December 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hoo boy! Teenage daughter + concerned mother = conflagration. I am still picking pieces of shrapnel from my psyche from being at close quarters to some 'mother-daughter' discussions. But she just turned twenty and seems too have suddenly grown a brain. Just in time.

Muppet
December 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I like Muppet's avatar too. But what animal is it exactly? A cow? Eeyore? I can't tell.

your mask and/or cape may be clouding your view...

Its a Far Side Cow. Moo.
(I like cows)

The Fortress
December 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
your mask and/or cape may be clouding your view...

Its a Far Side Cow. Moo.
(I like cows)

Fortunately, Muppet the cape is now the cape of an angel. We shall see if the Angel stays angelic. :thhbbb:

I like your Far Side Cow too though. :banana: :dedhorse:

Maybe you should get a nomination for bizarre random use of large moving emoticons?

Muppet
December 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Maybe you should get a nomination for bizarre random use of large moving emoticons?

my posts feel naked without a horse or banana. look how lonely this looks...

I think we need to nominate the Fortified one and Rich for "shortest avatar life"

The Fortress
December 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I think we need to nominate the Fortified one and Rich for "shortest avatar life"

Muppet: Everyone has joined in this game, even a cute dolphin that you know.

Final nominations before end of year vote:

Heather Howland: "Best Stroke Technique"

Heather Howland and Poolraat: also in the running for fastest avatar changes

Tall Paul: "Best Avatar" with his hysterical talent show dog

Solar: Sexiest Canadian Frenchmen

poolraat
December 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Heather Howland and Poolraat: also in the running for fastest avatar changes.

I think you're a lock for this one.

The Fortress
December 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I think you're a lock for this one.

But you just dove in with a new one ... :agree:

poolraat
December 18th, 2006, 11:15 AM
But you just dove in with a new one ... :agree:

That's me at the Pittsburgh meet.
Great form!!?

islandsox
December 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Poolrat,

Gosh, I thought it was Greg Louganis on a bad dive.

SwimStud
December 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Poolrat,

Gosh, I thought it was Greg Louganis on a bad dive.

You did? I thought it was David Hasselhoff in a new outfit...:rofl:

poolraat
December 18th, 2006, 10:37 PM
You did? I thought it was David Hasselhoff in a new outfit...:rofl:

You guys are real comedians!!! But don't quit your day jobs.

Peter Cruise
December 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM
David Hasselhoff? Doesn't he play quarterback for the Seahawks?

islandsox
December 19th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Poolrat,

This IS my day job!!!

Donna

Caped Crusader
December 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Poolrat,

This IS my day job!!!

Donna

You should be getting paid with all the free advice you're dolling out. Please, let's not nominate David Hasselhoff though.

I see Fortress has yet another breaststroker on the screen. She should just put breaststroke on her xmas list and be done with it. Assuming that she's been a good girl and Santa is coming of course. I'm with Richjb; not changing mine until after xmas. :drink:

I would also like to nominate the "Biggest Loser" thread as most interesting/humorous thread since I've been on the forum.

I guess that Heather Howland should also be nominated as "Most Glamorous Single Swimmer" since she is supposed to be a Natalie look alike. Now if she would only post her prom dress like Kristina had the guts to do.

SwimStud
December 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
You should be getting paid with all the free advice you're dolling out. Please, let's not nominate David Hasselhoff though.

I see Fortress has yet another breaststroker on the screen. She should just put breaststroke on her xmas list and be done with it. Assuming that she's been a good girl and Santa is coming of course. I'm with Richjb; not changing mine until after xmas. :drink:

I would also like to nominate the "Biggest Loser" thread as most interesting/humorous thread since I've been on the forum.

I guess that Heather Howland should also be nominated as "Most Glamorous Single Swimmer" since she is supposed to be a Natalie look alike. Now if she would only post her prom dress like Kristina had the guts to do.
I'm with Caped Crusader on the prom dress pic...

FlyQueen
December 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm with Caped Crusader on the prom dress pic...

I'll try to get on it ... I do not see the resemblance to Natalie however, maybe the face shape, but I don't think we actually look alike

The Fortress
December 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'll try to get on it ... I do not see the resemblance to Natalie however, maybe the face shape, but I don't think we actually look alike

Plus, isn't Natalie 5'8" and you're 5'2"? She is pretty cute though, so I'd be prepared when Feb. 14 rolls around. Maybe we can tally and announce the annual threadies award on that day too. Maybe this thread will be the longest running thread on the forum by then too.

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
I have to nominate the "Anyone else watch the Biggest Loser?" by KNelson and the "What are the best paddles to scrape ice?" by Michael Heather for "Best Thread" awards. They are completely cracking me up.

islandsox
December 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
I want to nominate the Fortress for most avatar changes in the shortest period of time. Probably before I hit the submit reply button, she'll have a new one, so this makes my point.

Also, how come they let you swim topless?

Donna

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
I want to nominate the Fortress for most avatar changes in the shortest period of time. Probably before I hit the submit reply button, she'll have a new one, so this makes my point.

Also, how come they let you swim topless?

Donna

Did someone mention topless females?? :banana: :woot:

The Fortress
December 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
Did someone mention topless females?? :banana: :woot:

No, you romeo. That's Donna's friend swimming that lovely topless freestyle. I'm nominating him for "Best Freestyler" of all time. Now, I'm off to change my avatar, so that Heather doesn't beat me to the punch. Geez, she's got a freestyler up now. Is she going to nominate that person for "Best Freestyler." Any minute now, one of the calf-braggers will probably nominate themselves. I can only say that I am the "Worst Freestyler Over 100 Yards Without Fins."

Maybe MonkeyLaLas should be nominated for "Best Drink." They've gotten a lot of press recently.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
No, you romeo.

Me? Anyone would thinkI am abig forum flirt or something...jeez...

Caped Crusader
December 22nd, 2006, 03:14 PM
Me? Anyone would thinkI am abig forum flirt or something...jeez...

Dude, you are sitting in a hot tub.

SwimStud
December 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Dude, you are sitting in a hot tub.

But the important question is "Is he or isn't he?" :D

islandsox
December 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
I am just humiliated. The Grinch just asked me if my new Avatar (isn't it beautiful), was dead storks!!!

Anyone can tell that it is the new Bird Flu epidemic here on Roatan. All of those pink plastic flamingos living in the Hondurans yards just keeled over and died.

Geez....Have a heart.

Donna

islandsox
December 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Even though I am the proud author of the now-deceased Swimming Theories thread, we may have a new thread in its running. The How to Train as a Vessel Shaper, or whatever that name was exactly. So I think these two threads may be the finalists in the Annual Threadies Awards.

I do believe it is becoming very controversial with an absolute true debate on efficiency vs intensity training.

donna

SwimStud
December 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
*GASP*
*puts hand over mouth*

Caped Crusader
December 30th, 2006, 11:06 PM
*GASP*
*puts hand over mouth*

Rich:

Maybe you should give up breaststroke for a career in drama.

I don't think "Vessel Shaping" is quite as cantakerous as "Swimming Theories" or the "Freestyle Stroke Question" thread, but it's not the least controversial thread in existence.

When are you going to change that dead stork avatar, Islandsox? I think I should change mine since it's not xmas anymore.

Maybe we should have a "dead horse" category? :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

What are the leading contenders: TI, shoulders, fins, butterfly vs. butterfrog?

Allen Stark
December 31st, 2006, 02:43 AM
Dead horse catagory;TI evangelists vs TI debunkers.(My dsl is sick and I can't do the icons so imagine 5 ded horses!!!)

FlyQueen
January 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'd like to nominate richjb as biggest trouble maker ... :thhbbb:

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

:eek: :confused: :laugh2:

poolraat
January 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM

Rich must not have anything to do today.

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Rich must not have anything to do today.

besides coughing...no, not much :D

ande
January 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
I nominate

The Fortress

for changing her picture the most

ande

scyfreestyler
January 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
I have also noticed a LOT of avatar changes around here recently. Kids these days (says the 32 year old)!

The Fortress
January 3rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
I nominate

The Fortress

for changing her picture the most

ande

I nominate

Ande Raz

for being the funniest, coolest, fastest, most creative, song writing swimmer guy

with no avatar.

Sooo

sad.

SCY freestyler: You're a little on the young side to be sticking with that palm tree ...

I also think FlyQueen has to get a nod in the 2007 avatar category for her deformed breaststroker/butterfrogger avatar.

Muppet
January 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have also noticed a LOT of avatar changes around here recently. Kids these days (says the 32 year old)!

I'm 26 and haven't touched my Avatar since I signed up! I guess everyone else is going through their mid-life crisis.

Farside Cow Forever!:banana:

scyfreestyler
January 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
I nominate

Ande Raz

for being the funniest, coolest, fastest, most creative, song writing swimmer guy

with no avatar.

Sooo

sad.

SCY freestyler: You're a little on the young side to be sticking with that palm tree ...

I also think FlyQueen has to get a nod in the 2007 avatar category for her deformed breaststroker/butterfrogger avatar.

I might have to look into something a bit more personalized when I have some spare time...just for fun.

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Since "forum wife" is a category, I nominate Dave Barra.

chaos
January 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Since "forum wife" is a category, I nominate Dave Barra.

and to think i was considering an offer to count for you at zones. (50 fly of course)

ande
January 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
thank you so much for writing those nice things
I just had an aw shucks moment

I attempted to load an avatar but the file was too large

it's the pic I have on
http://songramp.com/ande

if you click on
http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=3156
you'll see my pic
it just doesn't show as an avatar

ande

I nominate

Ande Raz

with no avatar.

Sooo

sad.

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
and to think i was considering an offer to count for you at zones. (50 fly)

That's not an "offer" in legal terms. It's an non-binding illusory offer.

But that's not another diss on sprinters, is it? Can't help those fast twitch muscles, now can we? And I'm on record many times as admiring distance swimmers ...

Bah, I know you're just looking out for your "family." I'll nominate you for "Best Defender of Family" as well.

I'll still count for you if Terry can't. I'm just cranky because I'm sick and I wanna go swimming and my engine is running out of gas and I have some semi-serious engine building to do soon. Can't be wiling away my life doing those restorative technique based TI-type workouts I've been doing lately. I need my endorphin fix. And I'd like to show up in semi-decent shape for zones so as to not embarass myself and hand my secret nemesis an easy victory ...

Peter Cruise
January 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Leslie- I thought female swimmer-lawyers would not be merely 'cranky' but rather "outraged by the flagrant and egregious violation of my freedom of movement by the actions of a virus and/or bacterium careless of the consequences". Tee Hee.

A wit of habeas sinus?

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Leslie- I thought female swimmer-lawyers would not be merely 'cranky' but rather "outraged by the flagrant and egregious violation of my freedom of movement by the actions of a virus and/or bacterium careless of the consequences". Tee Hee.

A wit of habeas sinus?

This is no time to be tee-hee-ing, Mr. Cruise. This is an extremely hostile recidivist bacterium that does not understand the concept of deterrence and that has trespassed on my pre and post holiday glee. I would therefore like to sentence said bacterium to the death penalty (despite my lefty leanings) with no bail, no public defender, no rights of appeal or amicus briefs. I am, to be sure, quite apalled by the grossly offensive affront to and invasion of many of my myriad constitutional and personal freedoms, including the right to engage in the divinely pleasurable acts of swimming and running. I believe "nose x-rays" constitute unreasonable searches and seizures. I believe a sinus-bacterium plagued existence constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. I believe irritating children should have their freedom of movement freely constricted during bouts with the bacterium. And, the above-referenced sprinter dig, well, that is calumny of the worst and most vicious ilk. I may have to transport said bacterium up to New Paltz to trounce on the pleasure loving, shoulder happy, revolutionaries there. They can get their own lawyer. Tee-hee.;)

I will now nominate myself for "Biggest Whiner."

Peter Cruise
January 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Or perhaps the sandpaper-y communication between you and David could be written off as due to typical butterflier behavior- a stroke to which a term such as 'mindful' clearly cannot apply to.

chaos
January 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Or perhaps the sandpaper-y communication between you and David could be written off as due to typical butterflier behavior- a stroke to which a term such as 'mindful' clearly cannot apply to.

i.....got nothin.....cruise...like kryptonite....can't...hold..on......much.....longe r.

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
i.....got nothin.....cruise...like kryptonite....can't...hold..on......much.....longe r.

I see you got said bacterium. Or are you doing a whimpy sprinter imitation? Or did you just do a bunch of 200 flys tonight? Doing a pre-postal imitation? I personally think the sandpaper-y thing is due not to our 50 vs. 200 fly differences, but to the hot tempered personalities that persons of Italian and French descent are apt to have. I'm not always rational, although I am good at rationalizing. ;) I think I'd like Dave if I met him despite (or maybe because of) his revolutionary tendencies. The middle ground is so dull ...

I nominate Dave for best Superman imitation. I believe that gives him 3 nominations for 2007. He's on a roll.

chaos
January 4th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I see you got said bacterium. Or are you doing a whimpy sprinter imitation? Or did you just do a bunch of 200 flys tonight? Doing a pre-postal imitation? I personally think the sandpaper-y thing is due not to our 50 vs. 200 fly differences, but to the hot tempered personalities that persons of Italian and French descent are apt to have. I'm not always rational, although I am good at rationalizing. ;) I think I'd like Dave if I met him despite (or maybe because of) his revolutionary tendencies. The middle ground is so dull ...

I nominate Dave for best Superman imitation. I believe that gives him 3 nominations for 2007. He's on a roll.

i have suffered with sinus issues for years (chlorine was certainly one factor) the treatment that finally seemed to work was a homeopathic acupuncture approach (now you've gone and drawn me further off topic than i have ever been) google NAET.....:thhbbb: and quit whining

ande
January 6th, 2007, 05:46 AM
The Fortress is well on her way to earning the coveted
highest "posts per day" average with 9.88
she puts my paltry 2.5ish average to shame

you go girl

ande

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The Fortress is well on her way to earning the coveted
highest "posts per day" average with 9.88
she puts my paltry 2.5ish average to shame

you go girl

ande

Aw, thanks Ande. :hug:

I guess some are better than others. I may go back to poetry. I guess this is a useful thread that you started so long ago! There seem to be many more compliments on it than anything else. :)

I'm going to nominate Allen Stark for the "Best Combo Of Levity and Civility" poster.

LindsayNB
January 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I attempted to load an avatar but the file was too large

The avatar size limitations are larger than they used to be (now 100x100 and 20kB). Your profile picture should now work as an avatar. :agree:

Allen Stark
January 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I nominate Fort. for the person who made the greatest difference in the forum. Since her explosion on the scene it seems the total number of posts has gone way up. It may be my imagination(and I will not research it) but it seems the female participation has gone up also.:groovy:

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I vote for Fortress and Alan as the couple most likely to have an offline affair ... you are so complimentry of each other .... :hug:

:lolup:

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I vote for Fortress and Alan as the couple most likely to have an offline affair ... you are so complimentry of each other .... :hug:
:lolup:

That's right. Allen is taken. I'm sure you can find another poster to have an off-line affair with. ;) :lolup: :rofl:

Besides, Allen and I have a WR to set together in the 100 IM. We have to be nice to each other. Plus, I want a discount when I go to the Allen Stark breaststroke clinic. If you wise up, you'll be nice to him too.

Hurray for sports-loving female participation. :groovy: :banana: I think my twin sister Beth must have been lonely before.

SwimStud
January 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Plus, I want a discount when I go to the Allen Stark breaststroke clinic. If you wise up, you'll be nice to him too.

Hurray for sports-loving female participation. :groovy: :banana: I think my twin sister Beth must have been lonely before.

The ladies can't resist the godly charms and Adonis like body of a breaststroker.
I think Allen's breaststroke is responsible for the increase in ladies on the forum...take me under your wing Allen...teach me how to be like you....

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hey so Alan, breaststroke is wonderful ... it's fantatic, I wish I could swim it with the grace and ease for with which it should be swum ... ;)

Fort, darling, you stick to your adorable hubby and children, even the rude hormonal one, as some day that'll pass and you two will be swimming on masters relays together, as the best of friends ...

Allen Stark
January 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
FlyQueen,did the Pod People take over?
Note that even before my recent enlightenment I (almost) never said anything bad about Fly.
Unfortunately life is intruding on my posting,bye for now.

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
No the pod people haven't taken over ... I do appreciate those that swim breaststroke beautifully, I am not one of them. Mostly, I like giving Rich and a few others a hard time. But don't let him know that! ;)

I do of course think that fly is best, followed by free, followed by backstroke, and last breast. But breaststroke is still in the water, is good for cranky shoulders, bad for cranky knees, and is better than being a noodler ...

swimr4life
January 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM

YES! I'm so glad to have more ladies to talk swimming with. My husband never has to worry about me nagging him about watching sports on TV....I'm usually right there with him. ESPECIALLY UGA football! The only sports I don't like are boxing and professional wrestling. I also prefer college sports over professional!

Peter Cruise
January 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Once upon a time we had quite a bit of female participation, but quite understandably some few of them lost patience with the tone around here about two years ago.

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Once upon a time we had quite a bit of female participation, but quite understandably some few of them lost patience with the tone around here about two years ago.

But we're back. And we're apparently very loud. At least the flyers among us. We'll have to try and contribute some purple prose.

I was temporarily distracted by watching Warren Beatty on the Golden Globes, but I'm sure Kathy, Barb, Poolraat and Caped will agree with me in nominating Richjb for "Swim Stud" of 2007. :groovy: :applaud: :banana: To quote Rich, "the ladies can't resist the godly charms and Adonis like body of a breaststroker." Seems true enough.

swim4me
January 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I was temporarily distracted by watching Warren Beatty on the Golden Globes, but I'm sure Kathy, Barb, Poolraat and Caped will agree with me in nominating Richjb for "Swim Stud" of 2007. :groovy: :applaud: :banana:

I second the nomination for Richjb as SwimStud as a Fellow Breaststroker and Detester of Fly (no offense Fortress)

SwimStud
January 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I second the nomination for Richjb as SwimStud as a Fellow Breaststroker and Detester of Fly (no offense Fortress)

I'd like to thank the academy, my parents, Bill and Ruth, my various swim coaches and mentors...without all of you this would not be possible.

Oh, before I go...something for the ladies....

*flex*

Caped Crusader
January 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'd like to thank the academy, my parents, Bill and Ruth, my various swim coaches and mentors...without all of you this would not be possible.

Oh, before I go...something for the ladies....
*flex*

SwimStud:

You're not going to win "Most Mindful" with the *flex.* Maybe "Mr. Popular?" I see you're participating in the signature nomination wars too with that one.

I guess I could nominate Dave Barra for "Most Mindful," then he'd have 4 nominations. But I think I'll have to stick with Terry or Lindsay. Any inanity is a disqualifying factor for that nomination.

I see FlyQueen and Fortress are battling it out for "Loudest."

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I see FlyQueen and Fortress are battling it out for "Loudest."

Middle children...

Mummy and Daddy love you just as much as the heir and the baby of the family...

The Fortress
January 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Middle children...

Mummy and Daddy love you just as much as the heir and the baby of the family...

I am the so-called "heir" of the family. I'm the oldest of three. Executor of the family will. It's FlyQueen and Dave Barra that are the loud, needing attention, "look at me" middle kids. So I am the exception to this theory, or else the theory is no good. :thhbbb:

Caped Crusader
January 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I am the so-called "heir" of the family. I'm the oldest of three. Executor of the family will. It's FlyQueen and Dave Barra that are the loud, needing attention, "look at me" middle kids. So I am the exception to this theory, or else the theory is no good. :thhbbb:

I think the theory is no good, Fortress. :drink: :thhbbb:

I'm still pretty new here, but I think Peter Cruise has some competition in the "Purple Prose" category from newmastersswimmer.

It looks like LBJ can give everyone a run in the "Comedy" category for his comments on the 4 strokes joke thread by whatever her name was.

Geek definitely gets "Best Butt Of The Joke" award for that post on the prank thread. That was hilarious.

FlyQueen
January 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Fortunately I am NOT the middle child ... I am the baby by several years and the only girl! :D On my team the babies are the ones competing for loudest ...

newmastersswimmer
January 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Well since the "real life" pic of my arm muscles apparently scared richjb into changing his bicept avatar (I guess he didn't like the comparison thing??)....and I don't want to threaten anyone's ego around here (especially that of a Brit), I decided to change my avatar to my pet cat (he's a British mixed breed named rich) in the hopes that I can now challenge some of the other posters (like swim4me, Seagurl, and so many others these days) for the hotly contested threadie for best pet avatar.....I know the competition will be tough and all (lots of great competition) but I still like my chances...what do y'all think??

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
January 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Well since the "real life" pic of my arm muscles apparently scared richjb into changing his bicept avatar (I guess he didn't like the comparison thing??)....and I don't want to threaten anyone's ego around (especially that of a Brit), I decided to change my avatar to my pet cat (he's a British mixed breed named rich) in the hopes that I can now challenge some of the other posters (like swim4me, Seagurl, and so many others these days) for the hotly contested threadie for best pet avatar.....I know the competition will be tough and all (lots of great competition) but I still like my chances...what do y'all think??

Newmastersswimmer

In terms of pet avatar, no one has any standing against my dog. Just look at her. You can't top that!

The Fortress
January 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
Forget about pet avatars, I'm allergic to them all anyway. I say we have a real war on for "Best Poet" and "Best Limerick" of 2007 between Jim-Bo-Stud-Newmastersswimmer (who still isn't really "new") and Swim-Stud-Rich-Blowfish (who is pretty new, but catching up fast). Who will win? Get your votes in.

swim4me
January 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well since the "real life" pic of my arm muscles apparently scared richjb into changing his bicept avatar (I guess he didn't like the comparison thing??)....and I don't want to threaten anyone's ego around here (especially that of a Brit), I decided to change my avatar to my pet cat (he's a British mixed breed named rich) in the hopes that I can now challenge some of the other posters (like swim4me, Seagurl, and so many others these days) for the hotly contested threadie for best pet avatar.....I know the competition will be tough and all (lots of great competition) but I still like my chances...what do y'all think??

Newmastersswimmer

I conceed, the picture of my Samantha is no match to your pet cat:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

newmastersswimmer
January 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
I'm still pretty new here, but I think Peter Cruise has some competition in the "Purple Prose" category from newmastersswimmer.......It looks like LBJ can give everyone a run in the "Comedy" category for his comments on the 4 strokes joke thread by whatever her name was.
posted by the Caped Crusader

Well the Caped Crusader is obviously a man of superior intelligence just as the real Batman was......I remember the episode where he told Robin that there were still a few things that he did not know...LOL!! .....And I definitely second the nomination for my evil cohort LBJ for most comedic poster. At the rate that I have been posting around here lately (and the boderline nature of my postings in terms of taste), I may also be riveling the Goodsmith and the Geek (two very close friends IRL I've been told BTW) for most annoying poster as well....LOL!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thhbbb: :thhbbb: :thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

In terms of pet avatar, no one has any standing against my dog. Just look at her. You can't top that! posted by Seagurl

I can not deny that she is a very adorable pet Kyra!....but there will be some pretty tough competition from a few others too like swim4me and Barb (can't recall her forum name right now??)....they both have some pretty cute pets as well....(and don't forget about my cute British mixed-breed cat named Rich...LOL!)

The Fortress
January 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
At the rate that I have been posting around here lately (and the boderline nature of my postings in terms of taste.

Good thing you've been posting more!! :banana: :drink:

It would have been a dull couple days without you and your prose.

I like the gun avatar better though. I'm not really even sure what that poor sick looking little thing is. But I'm sure I'm allergic to it. :rofl:

newmastersswimmer
January 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Good thing you've been posting more!!

It would have been a dull couple days without you and your prose.

I like the gun avatar better though. I'm not really even sure what that poor sick looking little thing is. But I'm sure I'm allergic to it.
posted by fortress

I appreciate your kind words fort.....but I think I may have alienated myself from all the other female posters around here (except for you and my old poetry friends Swimmy and Seagurl) ...the key reasons are:

A) I'm kind of a geek (if you haven't noticed...LOL!!) ...and my persona can be a little overbearing and (yes believe it or not) kind of annoying at times.

B) Making arch enemies with Rich (Mr. Popularity with all of the females around here) is not the best way to get on the good side of the female posters.

Newmastersswimmer

BTW I thought I mentioned that my new avatar is of my adorable pet cat named Rich...LOL!!

The Fortress
January 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
[quote=newmastersswimmer;75262]A) I'm kind of a geek (if you haven't noticed...LOL!!) ...and my persona can be a little overbearing and (yes believe it or not) kind of annoying at times.[quote]

How exactly does that make you different than many posters? :joker:

Geek and GoodSmith are quite entertaining, I find. And there are some other loud female posters that are having a good chuckle, I'll bet.

Besides, now that that annoying SwimStud has told me to "bring on" the nose clip and netti pot, I'm having Keifer fed-ex some to his CT abode. He might not be as popular with the nose clip. He might need a wax too. :thhbbb:

Now, I need to get some inspiration to write my anti-breaststroke poem so that I can attempt to compete with you other bairds. :groovy:

swim4me
January 21st, 2007, 06:57 PM
I think I may have alienated myself from all the other female posters around here (except for you and my old poetry friends Swimmy and Seagurl) ...the key reasons are:

A) I'm kind of a geek (if you haven't noticed...LOL!!) ...and my persona can be a little overbearing and (yes believe it or not) kind of annoying at times.

B) Making arch enemies with Rich (Mr. Popularity with all of the females around here) is not the best way to get on the good side of the female posters.

You haven't alienated yourself from me!!! I am not a geek, but I am in a 'geeky' profession! :rofl: I love your wit and your avatar!! :hug: I also love your battles of wit with Rich. :applaud: May the best Stud/Geek win!!!!

FlyQueen
January 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Jim, we are old friends, too .. I just changed my name ... (it's Heather!) Oh, and your avatar scares me ....

newmastersswimmer
January 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM
You haven't alienated yourself from me!!! I am not a geek, but I am in a 'geeky' profession! I love your wit and your avatar!! I also love your battles of wit with Rich. May the best Stud/Geek win!!!!
posted by Swim4me

Kathy You're making me blush! .....(Pssst See Rich....Geeks like me have amunition too...Women always fall prey to their own natural empathetic instincts...he..he..) But seriously uuhum, Your words are so kind...In case you didn't already know?, there is actually an outside chance that we may already have met since I'm an old Texan myself....born and raised in the South Houston area in fact. I graduated from Clear Lake High School in 1983 and swam for both Space City Aquatics ...AKA as SCAT for short (From the time it first started in fact as a merger between the League City Sharks and the Clear Lake Tigers way back in the early 70's), as well as the Woodlands Swim Team (later down the road in the mid eighties)....It turns out that John Vogel (Former coach of the Woodlands Swim Team) started his agegroup coaching career (in Texas that is) as The assistant coach of SCAT. He is one of my favorite old coaches (unfortunately I haven't talked to him in years though).

As far as it goes with Heather's new revelation:

What the @@@@@ did you just say?!!.....Oh My God!!!...No Way! Does Kyra know?...If so then you have no idea what kind of trouble that the two of you are in with me right now LOL!!!. I thought I knew people well enough to always pick them out of a crowd no matter what...but I have to tell you Heather, I have a new found respect for you I must say. I'm still trying to decide how to use this new knowledge...LOL!! Since when did this new attraction to butterfly start anyway?..LOL!! Here I was dancing on eggshells around you like a nerd in high school in the company of the head cheerleader or something (o.k. maybe not quite that bad...but you know me pretty well it turns out so you know what I'm talking about....and not that you're not on that level or anything.....Rich you should see what Heather really looks like...LOL!!...lets just say she is way out of both of our leagues..LOL!!)....Do you have any idea how worried I was that you would think I'm too offensive with my semi-vulgar postings of late??!!.....then I find out who you are (and the kinds of things we use to talk about "over there"...har har...you know those conversations that make anything I've said over here look like a fire-cracker compared to a Supernova!) ...You aren't the Flyqueen o.k....your just the queen of all queens in my eyes now!...I bow down to you in humble worship now (I am not worthy!) I know it must seem like I'm overly reacting to the other posters but they don't know what we know.... right Heather?...ROTFLMAO!!!

Newmastersswimmer

P.S. BTW Heather, Did you not think about the level of merciless perversion that you KNOW I'm capable of before you dropped that little gem on me?.. LOL!!....Lets just say that I'm now contemplating sharing a little dirt with some of the other posters (like a certian young Brit perhaps...LOL!) for this little deception of yours that you've pulled on me.....LOL!!

swim4me
January 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
there is actually an outside chance that we may already have met since I'm an old Texan myself

I don't think so.... I swam in California and New Mexico. I did live in Fort Worth for 3 month during 5th grade, but you would have been in second grade then :rofl: . I have lived in Texas for about 23 years, but only began swimming again in October. So, we will have to wait for a meet to meet :rofl: :rofl: (I crack myself up LOL).

FlyQueen
January 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
You haven't alienated yourself from me!!! I am not a geek, but I am in a 'geeky' profession! I love your wit and your avatar!! I also love your battles of wit with Rich. May the best Stud/Geek win!!!!
posted by Swim4me

Kathy You're making me blush! .....(Pssst See Rich....Geeks like me have amunition too...Women always fall prey to their own natural empathetic instincts...he..he..) But seriously uuhum, Your words are so kind...In case you didn't already know?, there is actually an outside chance that we may already have met since I'm an old Texan myself....born and raised in the South Houston area in fact. I graduated from Clear Lake High School in 1983 and swam for both Space City Aquatics ...AKA as SCAT for short (From the time it first started in fact as a merger between the League City Sharks and the Clear Lake Tigers way back in the early 70's), as well as the Woodlands Swim Team (later down the road in the mid eighties)....It turns out that John Vogel (Former coach of the Woodlands Swim Team) started his agegroup coaching career (in Texas that is) as The assistant coach of SCAT. He is one of my favorite old coaches (unfortunately I haven't talked to him in years though).

As far as it goes with Heather's new revelation:

What the @@@@@ did you just say?!!.....Oh My God!!!...No Way! Does Kyra know?...If so then you have no idea what kind of trouble that the two of you are in with me right now LOL!!!. I thought I knew people well enough to always pick them out of a crowd no matter what...but I have to tell you Heather, I have a new found respect for you I must say. I'm still trying to decide how to use this new knowledge...LOL!! Since when did this new attraction to butterfly start anyway?..LOL!! Here I was dancing on eggshells around you like a nerd in high school in the company of the head cheerleader or something (o.k. maybe not quite that bad...but you know me pretty well it turns out so you know what I'm talking about....and not that you're not on that level or anything.....Rich you should see what Heather really looks like...LOL!!...lets just say she is way out of both of our leagues..LOL!!)....Do you have any idea how worried I was that you would think I'm too offensive with my semi-vulgar postings of late??!!.....then I find out who you are (and the kinds of things we use to talk about "over there"...har har...you know those conversations that make anything I've said over here look like a fire-cracker compared to a Supernova!) ...You aren't the Flyqueen o.k....your just the queen of all queens in my eyes now!...I bow down to you in humble worship now (I am not worthy!) I know it must seem like I'm overly reacting to the other posters but they don't know what we know.... right Heather?...ROTFLMAO!!!

Newmastersswimmer

P.S. BTW Heather, Did you not think about the level of merciless perversion that you KNOW I'm capable of before you dropped that little gem on me?.. LOL!!....Lets just say that I'm now contemplating sharing a little dirt with some of the other posters (like a certian young Brit perhaps...LOL!) for this little deception of yours that you've pulled on me.....LOL!!

What the heck are you talking about?!?! I am so confused ...

newmastersswimmer
January 21st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Your not the Heather "from Chicago" that is an "Old Friend" as you say??....So you are not old friends with Kyra (AKA Seagurl on this forum) then either?....If not, then I guess its a mistaken identity (but knowing the Heather I've been referring too....I can't put any kind of deceptive trick passed her)....If you are not the Heather that I'm talking about then please simply disregard that last posting....I am going to consult this matter with Kyra and I'll get back with you then?????

Newmastersswimmer

FlyQueen
January 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
I am that Heather ... hmmm ... check your PMs!

Peter Cruise
January 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Butterflyers...

newmastersswimmer
January 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
Well I guess I am thinking of someone else then....and I am really sorry for that posting...ooops! How embarressing is that? Thats the problem with not being able to actually see who you're talking too around here...please forgive me then....I really didn't have any serious dirt on the girl I was thinking of....just trying to play with her head a bit thats all....I like to tease people and the girl I'm thinking of was someone that I teased a lot (and of course we all teased eachother equally...she's actually a really good friend from way way back).

Well maybe I will eventually place you??.....I have to delete some of my PM's before I can reply privately to you....but lets just say it was a false alarm and you have my deepest apologies then!....(yikes what have I done...LOL!!)

Newmastersswimmer (o.k. so I'm not the stud I thought I was....LOL!)

Seagurl51
January 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Heather's just too old to remember the good times we had, but you have the right one. ;)

I don't think it was your post that scared her....it was the avatar. :laugh2: It kinda reminds me of one of those beasts from "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendack....only on crack, and kinda strung out.........

FlyQueen
January 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ok, now you are playing head games with me ... so mean ... You don't remember me being a flyer? What the heck do you think I swam back then?

Muppet
January 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Rich you should see what Heather really looks like...LOL!!...lets just say she is way out of both of our leagues..LOL!!)
Newmastersswimmer

I will add my name to the league and confirm this statement.
:bow:

SwimStud
January 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
.Rich you should see what Heather really looks like...LOL!!...lets just say she is way out of both of our leagues..LOL

I will add my name to the league and confirm this statement.
:bow:

Guys...OK it's time for school...

*Barry White music begins to play as a deep voice begins to speak slowly*

Wipe your chins will ya..that drool puddle is deep enough to hold a meet in!

Look I'm sure Heather is all that and a bag of Skittles...but when it comes to women, nothing looks worse on a guy than self-doubt.

You gotta believe in yourself and the power of your Speedos to make the ladies feel special (and they are)...

:rofl: :rofl:

LOL I crack myself up at times...

SwimStud
January 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Butterflyers...

agreed...weirdos...

newmastersswimmer
January 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
O.k. I'm a definite weirdo....I'll admit that....but is this really news to anyone around here? Every group needs a town weirdo (its kinda like a village idiot I guess...LOL!!). Anyway I want to publicly appologize to Heather...She is a great gal (from what my aging mind can remember??) I always thought she was loads of fun .....told hillarious stories and a great jokester. I shouldn't have ribbed her as hard as I did in my first posting to her in almost 2 years. And I have NO real dirt on her I swear it (other than just the same silly nonsense that we spew out every day around here anyway). I changed my avatar for you as an offering of peace (for both you and Kyra....two good old friends that I use to have a lot of crazy laughs with!!). Women are a little strange to geeks like me though I must admit....but hey, If you could figure them all out so easily then what fun would there be in life anyway. My new Avatar is of my son Neal when he was around 1 years old (he is seven now)....I thought I would take a page out of the fort's book on creating a good Avatar.....The fort seems to be my closest female friend poster around here these days anyway....Note to self.....Don't ever rib Fort as hard as I tried to rib Heather last night.....I'll have no female friends left around here!

Newmastersswimmer