PDA

View Full Version : USMS Nationals 2008 ?

mpmartin
September 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Have they decided where Nationals will be held in 2008? I know this is usually decided at the annual convention.

mbmg3282
September 19th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Short Course Nationals in 2008 will be at the University of Texas, Austin.

Long Course Nationals will be at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, OR.

KaizenSwimmer
September 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I look forward to swimming at both venues.

Jeff Commings
September 19th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Darn. I knew it.

How am I going to be able to go to Perth for worlds and then to Austin for nationals? I don't want to miss either, for obvious reasons*.

*Those reasons are being in Australia, the prettiest country in the world, and being in Austin, where I went to college.

Maybe I'll rob a bank and not go on vacation until then.

KaizenSwimmer
September 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Perth and Austin will be a month apart so it's logistically feasible. Bankrolling it may be another matter for many people.
I'm lucky in that swimming is part of my job description.

Sam Perry
September 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Commings
Darn. I knew it.

How am I going to be able to go to Perth for worlds and then to Austin for nationals? I don't want to miss either, for obvious reasons*.

*Those reasons are being in Australia, the prettiest country in the world, and being in Austin, where I went to college.

Maybe I'll rob a bank and not go on vacation until then.

I am planning on going to both. Southwest to Austin is reasonable. I am sure you have many friends still in Austin to stay with and make it reasonable. It will be an awesome year!

newmastersswimmer
September 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Austin sounds good to me.....Summer nationals in the Woodlands and then the following scy nationals in Austin.....thats about as good as I could have hoped for!

Newmastersswimmer

Peter Cruise
September 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Besides, everyone- I'm sure Ande will be quite willing to host all of us. Including open bar...

Gil
September 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
What date is the Long Course Nationals for 2008?

breastroker
September 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Jeff, go to Perth, and ask some pretty girls to "ROOT" for you.:D

Nice 50 breast at worlds. Next time you might get in the 28's. Always something to look forwards to.

I have only spent a week in Austin, but sure loved it. Perhaps the Yellow Rose was too nice.

Sam Perry
September 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
Austin sounds good to me.....Summer nationals in the Woodlands and then the following scy nationals in Austin.....thats about as good as I could have hoped for!

Newmastersswimmer

Amen Jim! Can't wait for Texas trips....

Allen Stark
September 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM
They are making the Mt. Hood pool deeper and it should be really fast. I hope all of you can come up here.Unfortunately I'll be at the top of my age group,but it will be fun.

Swimmer Bill
September 20th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I was just gonna say....guyz....don't forget the place I now call home.

Oregon is one of the most gorgeous places to visit in August, and here you will see some of the most extraordinary scenery anywhere in the world. We have snow-capped mountains year-round, the spectacular Columbia River Gorge featuring Multnomah Falls - one of the tallest waterfalls in the US, plus the Oregon Coast is absolutely sublime with its pristine, expansive, sandy beaches, historic lighthouses and rocky bluffs. With all those places come a wide range of outdoor activities including hiking, fishing, sailing and windsurfing.

If all you want is a good meal and a charming, pedestrian friendly city - we've got that, too. You'll find some of the best quality fresh produce and finest restaurants in Portland - and excellent sales-tax-free shopping as well. For the Smiths and other like-minded individuals, you won't find a wider selection of handcrafted artisan microbrews anywhere. For the wine lovers, the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, and other local wines are some of the finest you will find anywhere.

MHCC is one of my favorite places for summer meets. It's spacious, open, and the venue is a great place to enjoy the mild temperatures and crystal clear blue skies typical to Oregon in the summertime. While you're here, make sure to try the blackberries, marionberries, huckleberries, dungeness crab, Copper River salmon, halibut, roasted hazlenuts, and many other things that grow in abundance here.

I highly recommend carving out enough time to take an extra week (or two) to explore and enjoy Oregon. It's an exquisite tourist destination, one of the best-kept travel secrets in the US, and it's also a great place for fast swimming!

Swimmer Bill

joy
September 20th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Amen Bill. Couldn't have said it better and we are lucky enough to call Oregon home. It is a great place to visit and live.

Peter Cruise
September 20th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Oh, those Oregonians...they're so eager, so happy to see visitors...actually, Portland is the best metropolis on the pacific coast of North America, so I must admit that, though Swimmer Bill tempts me to slang it, it could be a real destination for those brave enough to swim LCM.

Sam Perry
September 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
I was just gonna say....guyz....don't forget the place I now call home.

Oregon is one of the most gorgeous places to visit in August, and here you will see some of the most extraordinary scenery anywhere in the world.

I will say, that Houston (The Woodlands) is not the BEST place to be in August. Will be a very humid time of the year...

KaizenSwimmer
September 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I can't imagine going to Houston in August, but Swimmer Bill is most persuasive.
Ordinarily I resist leaving New Paltz (and particularly my swims in Lake Minnewaska) at any time during the summer, except for OW races. And I find it difficult to sacrifice a possible weekend on which I might be swimming or racing in OW to race in a pool. But Swimmer Bill has convinced me to go to Portland in Aug 2008 -- and probably before then.

aquageek
September 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I've not been to Austin but I hear it's a great city. I may have to consider a public unveiling in 2008.

knelson
September 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
Oregon is one of the most gorgeous places to visit in August

Can it, Bill. You know the rule. As residents of the Pacific Northwest we're obligated to assure everyone else it rains all the time out here. ;)

Texas has it good with back-to-back nationals, but we're doing pretty well, too, with SC Nationals in Seattle in May and then LC nationals a year later in Portland.

Swimmer Bill
September 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
LOLz!!

ummmmm....yeah....that's right....it ALWAYS rains in the Pacific Northwest! Torrential downpours 24-7, 365. Great place to visit, but you'd NEVER want to live here!! Bring umbrellas, plenty of dry towels, and look for higher ground when booking your hotels. Additional warm-up will be available every place where we used to have dry land.

;)

swimkim
September 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
i hear the meet director "loves to host meets". later in the bar, he decided he'd better host a good party too!

Allen Stark
September 21st, 2006, 12:03 AM
I lived in Houston 21 years. The Woodlands people are very friendly and I'm sure they will run a great meet. That said,attending the Nationals at Mount Hood in 1982 and 1986 played a big part in my decision to move to Oregon. Houston in Aug vs Portland in Aug. Not a fair fight.