PDA

View Full Version : Nike signs Cullen Jones

BillS
September 20th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Good story on NPR's Morning Edition about Nike signing Cullen Jones. Listen to the story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6109020

aquageek
September 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Does this mean he can no longer swim for NCSU?

Rich Abrahams
September 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I also heard the Cullen Jones interview this morning on my way to work. Quite an impressive young man. I loved his comment that he was swimming because he loved the sport, not for the endorsement deal. Certainly we master swimmers can relate.

Rich

thewookiee
September 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Geek,

Cullen had used up his four years of college swimming this past year. I read in an interview on us swimming site that he is going back to finish his degree though.
Will you be swimming in the meet at MAC in Dec?

John

scyfreestyler
September 20th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Well good for him. It will be fun to watch him and Hall Jr. go at it in 2008!

aquageek
September 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by thewookiee
Will you be swimming in the meet at MAC in Dec?

John

Most definitely, it's a great meet in a fantastic facility, about 2 miles from my home. However, it has been light on attendance the past two years which makes it go VERY VERY fast.

Has anyone ever noticed that athletes always say "it's not about the money" the moment after they get the big bucks. This isn't a knock on Jones, just a general observation. I'm hoping this North Carolina Jones turns out better than another (Marion) Jones in terms of public personnna.

scyfreestyler
September 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by aquageek

Has anyone ever noticed that athletes always say "it's not about the money" the moment after they get the big bucks.

I was going to say the same thing. I mean, what else is the guy going to say? "I've been swimming all these years in hopes of getting an endorsement and now I've finally got one...yeah for me!!!". Unless you are already independently wealthy the potential of an endorsement deal is sure to light a fire under your butt when you reach his level.

aquageek
September 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I need to put an end to all of our agreeing these days.

scyfreestyler
September 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I sense an argument around the corner here shortly...nothing lasts forever. :)

knelson
September 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
To paraphrase Bernadette Peters' character in The Jerk. It's not about the money, it's about all the stuff he's going to buy with that money! :)

geochuck
September 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I posted this re the 50 at the Pan Pacs buy it is more appropriate here. http://www.wcsn.com/article/news.js..._news&dpre=

breastroker
September 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
I found out that this fine young man has a USMS Masters swim coach as one of the most influential men in his life. His father passed away a few years ago. So this masters coach became very important in Cullens life.

Nothing would please me more if this man breaks the World record in the 50, and he is starting to become a great 100 meters man too.

Allen Stark
September 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
I certainly hope great things for him. He seems to be a great guy. I really hope Nike gets him in the public eye. I was going over the Swimming World mythical National High Championships. The girls seemed in good shape,but for the boys,most of the records were set in the early 90's. I think the newest record was Brendan Hansen's from 2000. We have got to get more boys of all types to enter our sport. If Cullen Jones can attract some people who otherwise wouldn't consider swimming as a sport,we all benefit.