PDA

View Full Version : My town has no masters program

Concho Pearl
September 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I emailed our HS swim coach to see if our town has a masters program, they do not. He said most are swimming at the 'Y' or the local university. My problem is that so much as change I'm not sure if how I'm intrerpting the changes is correctly and both places do not have starting blocks. I'm sure after this long out of the water my starts are not very pretty.

I figured all I can do is I asked if he could point me in a direction.

Any suggestions?

Sam Perry
September 25th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Where in West Texas are you? I know some places to swim out there...

Concho Pearl
September 25th, 2006, 11:27 PM
San Angelo - one thing about Texas is you can drive 8 hours and never leave the state. :p

Sam Perry
September 26th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Have you talked to David Hague? I know he swam masters in the past. Not sure if he still does or even lives there. Just a suggestion...

Concho Pearl
September 26th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Yes, he's our HS Swim Coach in town, he was the one I mentioned in the other thread.

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 26th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Yes, he's our HS Swim Coach in town, he was the one I mentioned in the other thread.

Many masters have no program. We just swim on and on by ourselves. "Some might say how sad!"

Sam Perry
September 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Please tell him hello for me. He used to swim masters, I'm not sure if he still does. You can always practice with the kids (HS or Club). I can't stand swimming alone (misery loves company), so whenever I find myself travelling (which is often), I either find a local masters program or crash a kids workout if the coach is OK with it. Good luck in your search. BTW there is a great website with workouts. You might want to check it out to at least print off workouts so you don't have to create your own. I use them when I am travelling and can't find a group.

www.dynoswim.com

The Fortress
October 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Concho Pearl:

I am forced to swim by myself a lot because I am too busy with my kids to get to a lot of my team practices. Hang in there. As long as you have a pace clock, you can check your progress. I don't practice starts much either, and know I could improve. Try to find some place to do them before a meet. I lost my goggles a few times during my first meets because I hadn't done any starts, but I finally got the hang of it. Do you have USA swimming in your town? I know some parents that train with their kids. Good luck! Leslie