PDA

View Full Version : are there any other aquaholics here?

Aquaholic
September 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM
are there any other aquaholics here?
which step are you currently working on?
please introduce yourself

aquaholic

meldyck
September 26th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Yes,

my name is Mel. I'm an aquaholic. I swim more than 5000 yards a day in hard training (in spite of derisive thoughts from one of the Smith Brothers). I'm in step one, having admitted my problem. However, they will have to catch me to get me into further treatment...

-- mel

waves101
September 27th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I guess I qualify but I'm not sure what step I'd be on. You see, it all started when I was about 11 years old (at that time I was afraid of the aqua). I mean, I liked to get in the pool and float on the inner tube but to actually get in and go under was out of the question. Then one day, a friend of mine tried to swim under the tube I was floating on. I leaned over looking for him to surface when his head hit the back of the inner tube and I went into the water face first, mouth and eyes wide open. After the initial shock, I actually surfaced laughing. This was all about the time my older sister started on the competitive team. I don't recall the timing but I think it was just a short while later and I, too, was on the competitive team. And, thus, my addiction started. I continued to be hooked thru grade school, high school and college but thought I'd overcome the addiction the summer after graduating from college. My last event was an open water lake swim (1.15 miles). 10 years went by and, although, I participated in a corporate swimming event for a few years, it only involved swimming a 50 as a relay member. Then, suddenly, in 1999, my world was rocked by a corporate downsizing. Our office had been acquired and 200 of the 300 remaining positions were moved out of state. While they were transitioning, my job was done so I was helping out in another area until the final termination date, lunch hours got a little longer and I found myself relapsing back into the pool. This went on for about 3 months. Then, I learned of the masters organization and the upcoming state meet. I swam in the meet and found I was about 3 seconds off my lifetime best in the 100 free. I also swam that same lake swim again that year. This, and my final work day, put me in full relapse. I started working out with the local high school team (up to 100,000 yards/month), swam in local master's meets, the state meet and masters nationals (Indy in 2000). Over the past 6 years, I've been able to tone it down a little here and there as I only average about 50,000 yards/month in the month's that I swim but I also notice I'm turning into more of a year round swimmer. This year was my 7th consectutive lake swim. I guess I'm hooked real bad because on the days I don't swim I don't feel as well and if I miss a week or so here and there I start to feel guilty. Is there anyone out there who can help? I even went to my nieces (two on the team) high school swim meet last night and, although, I didn't swim. I wanted to!!!

quicksilver
September 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Shouldn't it be agua-hol?...

In any case, I stick to chlorinated aqua-hol. No salt in my water.

Have no plans in the future of trying to recover from this affliction. It's replaced a much more serious one that inloved too much beer.

scyfreestyler
September 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM
If you mean drinking pool water, then yes. Last night I shared a lane with a large and fast man who created waves that reminded me of the Perfect Storm with George Clooney. A low/neutral head position was good for my swimming but bad for my breathing.

Aquaholic
September 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
hi mel,

welcome to our gathering,

more than 5,000 a day,

you have it bad

it's good you admit your aqua addiction, but it seems like you haven't hit bottom yet, but it's good you confessed your resistance to entering treatment. Perhaps you're in need of an intervention.

Aquaholic

Yes,
my name is Mel. I'm an aquaholic. I swim more than 5000 yards a day in hard training (in spite of derisive thoughts from one of the Smith Brothers). I'm in step one, having admitted my problem. However, they will have to catch me to get me into further treatment...
-- mel

Aquaholic
September 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM
thank you for sharing how your addiction began and evolved. It is difficult to overcome. It appears that you can't not swim, it's good you toned it down from 100,000 a month to 50,000. Swimming releases endorphins and serves as a refuge from the real world.

Aquaholic

I guess I qualify but I'm not sure what step I'd be on. You see, it all started when I was about 11 years old (at that time I was afraid of the aqua). I mean, I liked to get in the pool and float on the inner tube but to actually get in and go under was out of the question. Then one day, a friend of mine tried to swim under the tube I was floating on. I leaned over looking for him to surface when his head hit the back of the inner tube and I went into the water face first, mouth and eyes wide open. After the initial shock, I actually surfaced laughing. This was all about the time my older sister started on the competitive team. I don't recall the timing but I think it was just a short while later and I, too, was on the competitive team. And, thus, my addiction started. I continued to be hooked thru grade school, high school and college but thought I'd overcome the addiction the summer after graduating from college. My last event was an open water lake swim (1.15 miles). 10 years went by and, although, I participated in a corporate swimming event for a few years, it only involved swimming a 50 as a relay member. Then, suddenly, in 1999, my world was rocked by a corporate downsizing. Our office had been acquired and 200 of the 300 remaining positions were moved out of state. While they were transitioning, my job was done so I was helping out in another area until the final termination date, lunch hours got a little longer and I found myself relapsing back into the pool. This went on for about 3 months. Then, I learned of the masters organization and the upcoming state meet. I swam in the meet and found I was about 3 seconds off my lifetime best in the 100 free. I also swam that same lake swim again that year. This, and my final work day, put me in full relapse. I started working out with the local high school team (up to 100,000 yards/month), swam in local master's meets, the state meet and masters nationals (Indy in 2000). Over the past 6 years, I've been able to tone it down a little here and there as I only average about 50,000 yards/month in the month's that I swim but I also notice I'm turning into more of a year round swimmer. This year was my 7th consectutive lake swim. I guess I'm hooked real bad because on the days I don't swim I don't feel as well and if I miss a week or so here and there I start to feel guilty. Is there anyone out there who can help? I even went to my nieces (two on the team) high school swim meet last night and, although, I didn't swim. I wanted to!!!

Aquaholic
September 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Hi Quicksilver,

I too prefer pools to lakes, bays and oceans, we're at the top of the food chain in a pool, we're a link in oceans.

we feel the pain of your affliction
i think it's agua, like aquaman
aren't some swimmers actually drinkers with a swimming problem

one form of recovery is to transition from evil distance training into sprinting

aquaholic

Shouldn't it be agua-hol?...

In any case, I stick to chlorinated aqua-hol. No salt in my water.

Have no plans in the future of trying to recover from this affliction. It's replaced a much more serious one that involved too much beer.

Aquaholic
September 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
scyfreestyler,

you are so right, drinking pool water and breathing pool water is never a good idea, avoid swimming with large people who make huge waves, cause sometimes the perfect storm aligns, you get hit by the large persons wave just as you breath.

no good can ever come from it.

aquaholic

If you mean drinking pool water, then yes. Last night I shared a lane with a large and fast man who created waves that reminded me of the Perfect Storm with George Clooney. A low/neutral head position was good for my swimming but bad for my breathing.

quicksilver
September 27th, 2006, 03:44 PM
It appears that you've been hitting the stuff pretty hard. Babbling is one of the signs of having overdone it.

scyfreestyler
September 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM
scyfreestyler,

you are so right, drinking pool water and breathing pool water is never a good idea, avoid swimming with large people who make huge waves, cause sometimes the perfect storm aligns, you get hit by the large persons wave just as you breath.

no good can ever come from it.

aquaholic

In the future I will be swimming breast only when that situation arises.

sdswimmer
September 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I am in day 4 of recovery and extremly difficult to deal with by tomorrow everyone will likely throw me in the water to get it over with!

Its so bad that i will do multiple short workouts in 50+ degree water if its too cold to get my whole fix in one straight swim.

Peter Cruise
September 28th, 2006, 02:26 PM
To harken back to another earlier post, brother Mel's problem is even more severe than 5,000 a day indicates: first of all, he salts those workouts with agonizing IM and butterfly sets and, worst of all, performs it all at some gawdawful altitude (6 or 7,000 or so). I believe his ambition is to be first to swim a distance butterfly set on the surface of the moon. Obviously, his problem requires active intervention from the members of this forum.

chickadee
September 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Hi I am definetely an aquaholic - I am working step 10 - continuing to take a personal inventory and when wrong promptly admit it...okay my flip turn stinks, I think I may have accidentially left out a 50 on my kick set this am and I think I left late on the PACE clock a few times as well. I have a long way to go - thank goodness for sites such as this. ;)

meldyck
September 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Thank you brother Peter. Last night I woke up with severe Swim DTs, the kind you can only get when you have unfulfilled distance swimming ambitions.

Actually, it's Mars, not the Moon...

-- bro mel

geochuck
September 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Too bad you did not ask about alcoholics. I could have answered sooner. I probably would have been an alcholic but got intoxicated in 1958 and I did not like the affects.

Donna
September 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I admit it! I am an Aquaholic! I need my fix regularly both in the form of practices and meets.

Tomorrow morning will make 7 practices for me this week. Oh how I hate Sunday with no practice to go to.

:D

James
September 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Hi My name is James, and I'm a aqua addict.

My last time I was in the water was two days ago and it felt good!! I try to stay away from the hard stuff, pull buoys and Kick boards, but I do alot of IM sets. I'm usually at my local college pool swimming with some seniors with a pretty serious noodle problem. I really don't think I have a problem. I can quit anytime. Really, I can. I just enjoy it too much.

BTW, God bless all the water babies in the world.;)

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Since the Sunday before Labor Day, I haven't even been near a pool. I'm irratated, argumentative and depressed. I think I'm going through withdrawal. I'm so unhappy. No matter where I turn, what I do, who I see, I still get a terrible pain in my stomach as I go by the empty pool where I should be swimming.
God grant me the strength to change those things I can. The serenity to accept that which I can not change. And please get the needed parts for the dehumidifier here as quickly as possibly!