PDA

View Full Version : New look for the forums

Allen Stark
September 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
What do you think of the new format? I generally don't like change and am not used to it yet. Probably in a couple of weeks I'll have forgotten the old one and be OK. Notice how it is egalitarian as we are all "Registered Subscribers" instead of being more elite if we were "Very Active" members.

KaizenSwimmer
September 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah, losing status as a very active member is disappointing. I had figured that once I got over 100 posts I might qualify. As soon as I did, that status was no longer available.
I do like the new look though.
I just ordered the vbulletiin software that drives it, to update/upgrade the Forum on the TI site.

breastroker
September 28th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I am with Allen, not sure yet. I guess resisting change is something old people :p

scwids
September 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I am with Allen, not sure yet. I guess resisting change is something old people :p
I'm 34, and I am as change-adverse as they come! :) :) :)

Paul Smith
September 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I think I'm goi9ng to like it after getting a little more comfortable with the new set up.

The one thing I miss is the "view active threads" feature that we used to have.....any chance thats coming back Jim?

scyfreestyler
September 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I love the ability to preview a thread by holding your mouse over the thread title...great feature I have been using on a few other forums. Overall I think it's great.

aquageek
September 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I like the new forum, but I wish recent topics were a little more interesting.

TheGoodSmith
September 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Geek,

I'm sure you will light a fire under someone soon enough to make it interesting.

John Smith

KaizenSwimmer
September 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I wish recent topics were a little more interesting.

Easy to fix. Start some threads that match your interests.

aquageek
September 28th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Geek,

I'm sure you will light a fire under someone soon enough to make it interesting.

John Smith

Speaking of interesting, and in the name of Smith name dropping, our Y had Rowdy Gaines in town last weekend. He did a Masters clinic on Friday night and a kids clinic on Saturday morning.

Let me tell you, it was awesome. Rowdy is one easy going fellow who makes you want to swim fast. My daughter took his clinic the next day and was equally impressed.

If Rowdy comes within a few hundred miles of you, take his clinic. It was really fun and informative.

matysekj
September 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
... Notice how it is egalitarian as we are all "Registered Subscribers" instead of being more elite if we were "Very Active" members.

I hadn't noticed this, so thanks for pointing it out. It took a while to figure out what setting was causing this (there are soooo many interlocking settings), but I did manage to just change it back to the way it was. Welcome back to the world of elite posters.

I'm not sold on the new things here either, but we were several versions behind the current version of software, which is never a good idea with web software due to security concerns. I've still got some more areas to update that I know of, but anything you notice that is annoyingly different or missing, just let me know.

There are definitely some things about the new version that I love. This new WYSIWYG editor for instance is a major improvement. Note also that there's now a spell checker with it (the ABC icon at the upper right of the message block). There are also some very good new features that work behind the scenes. For those who would rather view threads in a hierarchical threaded view rather than our default linear view, you can change that in your options in the control panel (user CP link). Personally I don't like that view, but some do.

matysekj
September 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
... The one thing I miss is the "view active threads" feature that we used to have.....any chance thats coming back Jim?

I didn't use that feature on the old forums, so I'm not sure about this answer, but... Doesn't the "New Posts" link provide the same info as the old "active threads" link? If not, there is also the "Today's Posts" link under the Quick Links pull-down.

jerry clark
September 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Ahhh Geek, you can already swim fast. Come go to some nationals and the scene and adrenalin rush will cut some time from your best training time. Jerry

jerry clark
September 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM
To Jim Matysek: I see some posts labeled "two weeks ago" and "one week ago" when prowling around. The last post on the thread I viewed was way over "two weeks ago". Do you and others on the forum think it ok to cite the date of the last post on a thread? I think that is better than indicating that the most recent post was "two weeks ago" or "three weeks ago". Thanks for upgrading the forum for us. Jerry

matysekj
September 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM
To Jim Matysek: I see some posts labeled "two weeks ago" and "one week ago" when prowling around. The last post on the thread I viewed was way over "two weeks ago". Do you and others on the forum think it ok to cite the date of the last post on a thread? I think that is better than indicating that the most recent post was "two weeks ago" or "three weeks ago". Thanks for upgrading the forum for us. Jerry

This is an option on the forums. I could have installed a hack on the old forums to get this type of display, but didn't think it was worth it. I figured we'd try this out for a while and if the consensus is to put it back as simply the date and time of the last post, a simple setting change will take care of that.

ALM
October 1st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Jim,

(1) Personally, I don't like the "2 days ago" designation on the posts. I'd prefer just seeing the actual date and time.

(2) I miss seeing the poster's name in their posts. This version of the software only shows their login screen name (such as "Jayhawk"). The old software also showed the person's name.

Anna Lea

matysekj
October 2nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
Anna Lea,

I modified the template that shows the poster so that the real name is shown also if available, just like the old way. Thanks for pointing that one out.

I guess after giving people some time to get used to it, I'll try a poll to see which date/time format people like better - the real date and time or the x days/hours/minutes ago one.

ljodpundari
October 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I like the fact that "go to first unread post" works correctly.
With the old forum setup it seemed to always just take me
to the last page in the thread.

Tom

Rob Nasser
October 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Jim -

Just tried to change my avatar and don't see anywhere to do this - and I just nuked my former avatar. How can we do this?

Rob Nasser
October 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
I should clarify.. To choose a custom avatar. I can get a standard, but I worked hard to get that custom avatar and now I cannot seem to change it. what am I missing here?

matysekj
October 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I should clarify.. To choose a custom avatar. I can get a standard, but I worked hard to get that custom avatar and now I cannot seem to change it. what am I missing here?

Rob,

Try it now. The new forums have a completely different method of handling this and the old settings didn't transfer. I just updated things and 294 people should now be eligible for uploading custom avatars based on their post count.

Rob Nasser
October 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Perfect! I got it!

Thanks Jim!

Just in time for halloween!

Rob

Peter Cruise
October 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Great passport photo, Rob!

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
My only problem is that I have a very long string of threads that I don't want to write a response for but cna't get rid of them. How do I do that?

Rnovitske
October 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
My oh my, some of the text is big. I guess my scroll bars will get a new workout. Anyone else putting away those glasses?

Muppet
October 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I do love the new look! Definetely more modern, cool, suave, etc...
What I do miss is the list of who is online.... I guess this was to prevent any stalkers (or "lurkers" as they like to call themselves sometimes ;-) )

matysekj
October 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
The list of who is on line overall and who is visiting the forum or thread you are currently viewing is still there. It's now at the bottom of those pages.

ande
October 31st, 2013, 10:16 PM
The forums once again has a new look & it is NOT iPhone friendly. I won't allow me to compress or move around my view. :(

ALM
November 3rd, 2013, 11:31 PM
Scroll down to the VERY bottom of the page. There is a pull-down menu that says "vB4 Default Style." Open that pull-down menu and select "Default Mobile Style."

ViveBene
November 11th, 2013, 06:31 AM
The "Enter" key does not work to make paragraphs. How do I start a new paragraph?

matysekj
November 11th, 2013, 11:26 AM
The "Enter" key does not work to make paragraphs. How do I start a new paragraph?

Found this on a search for vbulletin and paragraph. This advice applies if when you hit Enter, it does not induce a line break before the subsequent text.

Go to Settings at the very top of any forums page, then to My Account > General Settings in the left-side navigation on that page. On the General Settings page, scroll down to the Miscellaneous Options section and try selecting Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing as your Message Editor Interface. In general that should work for everyone. However, if that doesn't work for you, try the other settings. If none of those settings solve it, you may have to try using another web browser.