PDA

View Full Version : Personalized swimmer's license plate

ALM
October 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Long story short, I am getting a new (used) car this week. I am not planning to get rid of my current car immediately; I've got to see it turn over 200,000 miles on the odometer before I can even think about parting with it!

Anyway, I have a personalized plate on that car. I am debating whether to move the personalized plate to the new car, or to just get another personalized plate. (They're cheap here in the Land of Oz.)

I need help thinking of a good swimming-related plate. It can be any combination of up to seven letters, numbers, or spaces. (No punctuation marks are available.)

My current plate is LV2SWIM (see the attached image).

Any ideas for a new plate?

Anna Lea

ljlete
October 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
Anna Lea,

How come when I was reading this post in my email, when I got to the 200,000 mile part, I knew it was you?

You could always reverse the current plate.

Leo

ALM
October 1st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Leo,

You're the only person on these forums who has actually had the privilege of driving my old car!

I don't think I like your reversal suggestion, because I don't think anyone will understand it. I want to be able to promote swimming as I'm driving around town!

I was thinking about swim meet events. "50 FREE" or "500FREE", for example. But my best events are the breaststroke events, and I'm not sure how to get that on a license plate and still meet the DMV's "no obscenities" rule....

geochuck
October 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM
I bought a car in Parksville BC and they issued the new plates for it 123-JRK I turned them in very quickly.

breastroker
October 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
My two cars have:

200 BRST, I have had it since 1987

and

50 BRST

In Kalifornia I can't have an actual 200, it is two "O" "O" not two zero zero.

The O looks just like a zero.

Either are perfect for breaststrokers.:rofl:

USMSarah
October 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
AQUAHWK (since you're a Kansas fan).

I like the above idea about your fave event too.

I can't think of any others right now, I need a nap.

:wave:

jonblank
October 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
WTRLOGD
FASTSKN
USMSWMR
SPRNTFR (apologies to Henry Stewart here, his is "SPRINTFLY" [we get more letters in NC])
SWMFSTR (apologies to Ande Rasmussen)
and if the designation fits, SWF SWMR

ALM
October 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
....and if the designation fits, SWF SWMR

Oh, this is good. And it does "fit"!

Anna Lea

ALM
October 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
AQUAHWK (since you're a Kansas fan).:wave:

Sarah, good idea, but there's a problem. The University of Kansas is located in Lawrence, Kansas; Lawrence's age-group swim team is called the "Aquahawks". I swim in Kansas City at the pool used by their rival, the Kansas City Blazers. If I were to show up at the pool with an AQUAHWK license plate, who knows what those Blazer kids would do to my car.... :)

USMSarah
October 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Sarah, good idea, but there's a problem. The University of Kansas is located in Lawrence, Kansas; Lawrence's age-group swim team is called the "Aquahawks". I swim in Kansas City at the pool used by their rival, the Kansas City Blazers. If I were to show up at the pool with an AQUAHWK license plate, who knows what those Blazer kids would do to my car.... :)

Ha ha! Let us know what ya decide on!!!

aquageek
October 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM
AQUAHWK (since you're a Kansas fan).

I like the above idea about your fave event too.

I can't think of any others right now, I need a nap.

:wave:

How bout PigeonHwk so you and gull80 can have a common bond?

scolopax
October 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM
a friend has this one...

2DAPOOL

Leonard Jansen
October 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
If I were to show up at the pool with an AQUAHWK license plate, who knows what those Blazer kids would do to my car.... :)

With 200,000 miles on it, what could they possibly do to it, short of torch it?

-LBJ

newmastersswimmer
October 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Wow.....A message posted from The Infamous (or is that famous...I can't recall..lOl) Leonard Jansen. Where have you been hiding the last several months anyway?

Newmastersswimmer

p.s.

Too bad you can't have more characters for something like:

MESWIMFAST...or MELIKESWIM I noticed that Henry Stewart's SPRINTFLY is 9 characters long ....so I guess he's not living in Kansas then....How about H20JNKY ?

Leonard Jansen
October 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Wow.....A message posted from The Infamous (or is that famous...I can't recall..lOl) Leonard Jansen. Where have you been hiding the last several months anyway?

J.B. - Good to hear from you. Life took at sharp left-hand turn straight into a brick wall (health, personal issues) right after MIMS, so I've been scarce in all venues. I'm not dead yet.

Speaking of license plates: I promised myself that when I completed MIMS that I'd get one that read something like "SWAM NYC" or "SWIM FAR" or some such (PA allows 7 letters and a space). After the aborted attempt in 2005 and the fiasco this year, by the time I do it, the license will read something like "OLD SWMR" instead.

-LBJ

WPSWIMS
October 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Had WESWIM in Georgia for over 20 years! There was a picture of it in SWIM magazine a few years ago. Hope to get the same in Colorado!

Paul Smith
October 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Best/worst I recall was a guy I played water polo with at UCSB....HOLEMAN

Apparently he had to jump thur a few hoops getting them to beleive this was actually a position in a sport!

For me......TOYSRME at least thats what my wife would insist based on whats in our garage, spare bedroom, etc. etc.

Peter Cruise
October 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Paul- we don't need to know about the toys in your spare bedroom...

James
October 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I was thinking of getting EYE EM, but most people won't get it.

geochuck
October 5th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I could get IM2SLOW.

cathym
October 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I had a personalized plate OCN SWMR-probably not good for Kansas-I live in Florida-the tag was stolen in March-it doesn't expire until November-so if you see if on your roads call the highway patrol. I am thinking of getting WE2SWIM or WESWIM2- since my husband and I both swim.

ALM
October 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
With 200,000 miles on it, what could they possibly do to it, short of torch it?

Dear Mr. Jansen,

Hello - Anna Lea's 1993 Subaru here. Boy, are my feelings hurt! :(

Much like you Masters swimmers, just because I'm now competing in the 195,000-199,999 age group doesn't mean that I look my age. Just take a look at my photo!

OK, sure, I have my ailments. My technique is suffering a little bit, especially in my turns. I can't accelerate at the end of a race the way I used to. My CV joints creak until I get warmed up. But I'm bound and determined to age up into that 200,000+ category!

Love,
The 1993 Subie

Leonard Jansen
October 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Dear Mr. Jansen,

Hello - Anna Lea's 1993 Subaru here. Boy, are my feelings hurt! :(

Mea Culpa.

Some of by best friends are old Subaru's - really. I gave away our 1992 Loyale (that had 200,000 miles on it) 2 years ago to an 18 year old who needed transportation. He just sold it and it is still running. (This was the Subie that the hood popped open at 55 mph and came through the front windshield on me. I ended up in a cornfield, spitting glass out of my mouth.) Before that ,it was a 1989 Justy that cost < $6k new and died at 140,000 miles - she had one repair in 11 years. And before that it was an 1982 Subaru something-or-other that I gave to my younger sister when it had 120,000 miles on it and she sold it to support her (then unknown to me) drug habit. So Subies and I go way back.
Tell Anna Lea that unless she's hit Powerball recently, she's not going to get a Subaru for her next car - apparently Subaru has forgotten that they used to make good, reasonablely priced cars.

-LBJ

Rob Copeland
October 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
And speaking of personalized plates; the state of Maryland will soon be issuing USMS license plates.

Id include a sample; unfortunately the GIF is too big to save here.

WPSWIMS
October 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Colorado just approved I SWIM2. Paul , look for it at DU in 10-12 weeks. It needs to be made! Someone in Georgia can now apply for WESWIM which I had for 25 years. Enjoyed meeting you at Castle Rock. I beginning to get use to the altitude...still get a bit winded on anything over 500 yards.