PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Kicks & sculling

MichiganHusker
October 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM
What is your opinion regarding vertical kicks as part of your workout?

What about sculling? I always feel stupid doing any sculling as it looks like I don't know how to swim and the lifeguards start staring at me like I'm about to sink.

:2cents:

The Fortress
October 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Vertical kicking -- good. Great for the core.

Sculling -- Not good for me. I am told that it is good for one's feel of the water, but sculling does absolutely nothing for me. I think its benefits are a swimming myth. There are many, many other useful drills. I like the caterpillar drill for fly and nothing is slower than that -- I ignore the lifeguard stares. But my team still sculls, so I do it I'm supposed to.

Leslie

aquaFeisty
October 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
What is the caterpillar drill?

ande
October 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
i'm not a fan of vertical kicking I prefer horizontal kicking for time

I think sculling is useful, because it helps a swimmer focus on and improve their feel for the water

ande

What is your opinion regarding vertical kicks as part of your workout?

What about sculling? I always feel stupid doing any sculling as it looks like I don't know how to swim and the lifeguards start staring at me like I'm about to sink.

:2cents:

The Fortress
October 3rd, 2006, 04:48 PM
The caterpillar drill helps you with fly. You put your legs together and arms above your head so that you are lying horizontally in a y formation in the water. Then you press forward starting from the top of your chest on down in a fly undulation motion. You try to move nothing but your core. It's like a small ripple. Might put your fins on to keep your feet afloat. Works for me. Chest press fly with your arms at your side is good too. Leslie