PDA

View Full Version : Date Format Preferences

matysekj
October 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Which date format do you prefer for showing the date of posts on the forums? We have 3 options:

1) 'Normal' date & time (e.g. April 25th, 1998 11:24 AM)

2) 'Yesterday / Today' will show 'Yesterday' and 'Today' for dates that fall in those periods, and the 'normal' date and time for all others.

3) 'Detailed' will show times such as '1 Minute Ago', '1 Hour Ago', '1 Day Ago', and '1 Week Ago'.

My preference has always been #1, but I've experimented with #3 with the new forums and will go with whatever the majority prefers.

strong440
October 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
1) 'Normal date & time'

(((I couldn't find the ikons you referred to.)))

Peter Cruise
October 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM
After a few days, I quite prefer the detailed. It has an oaky feel, with undertones of black currant. Drink immediately.

LindsayNB
October 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I don't suppose it is possible to let users specify which format on a per user basis?

matysekj
October 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I don't suppose it is possible to let users specify which format on a per user basis?

Nope, although with seemingly everything else moving to user or user group preferences, I wouldn't be surprised if this is changed in the future.

jim clemmons
October 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Normal's cool.

:drink: Well, maybe not for the Smith's.

sibleyclan
October 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I prefer normal

3strokes
March 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Which date format do you prefer for showing the date of posts on the forums? We have 3 options:

1) 'Normal' date & time (e.g. April 25th, 1998 11:24 AM)

I voted 1) above but please see note below.

2) 'Yesterday / Today' will show 'Yesterday' and 'Today' for dates that fall in those periods, and the 'normal' date and time for all others.

3) 'Detailed' will show times such as '1 Minute Ago', '1 Hour Ago', '1 Day Ago', and '1 Week Ago'.

Note:
My preference has always been #1, but I've experimented with #3 with the new forums and will go with whatever the majority prefers.[/quote]

Hi
However what's "normal" for me (I know I know; most users are Americans and even Canadians are used to the Month, Day, Year format wheteher
it's mm/dd/yyyy or MMM/dd/yyyy but as an ex-Airline man (now with Travel Agencies) I've always felt very comfortable with dd MMM yyyy
and as an IT man (for calculations) with yyyymmdd (Today is 20070310)

On "reviewing: I also noted that you mentioned time.
Again I prefer the 24 hour military time, not that I have problems with PM and AM (or just P and A) but I'm always confused by 1200am and 1200pm

In the Airlines business 1200 is always noon and midnight is never 2400
It's 2359 if we're talking about a midnight "arrival" and 0001 if it's a "departure".
It seems more logical to me (and it's easier to do calculations with) 1730 - 610 = 1120
or 2215 + 400 = 2615 (-24) = 0215 next day.

Needless to say, and Dave Barry (a grand Master but not in swimming) would probably hate me for it, I'm a metric guy.

Cheers

I'm not trying to impose any views here but pointing out advantages I see in
different methods.