PDA

View Full Version : Respiratory/pool problems

patmcdev31
October 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
OK well, this happens alot but this is how it progresses. I'm swimming warm up feeling pretty good and then we continue swim, feel good. We start doing some quick sets get the heart rate going, breathing a little heavier, and i feel this irritation deep in my lungs, not too bad right now. However, the main set comes around and about half way though I go into a sparatic, uncontrolable cough. It is very bad, I am coughing in between breaths underwater and it just feels worse when you breath in. At the wall i am breath very fast because if i breath to deep i will cough more. This happens to just about everyone in the pool and i feel i cant get the most out of my time int he water. Usually the coach opens the door and it helps a bit, but not reall yin lane six fartherst from the door. Also our pool has no openable windows. Are there any other suggestions for fixing this problem? My team and i are desperate.

EyeoreSAM
October 12th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I coach an age group team and we swim in really old pools with little to no circulation. I have asthma and it really bothers me when we swim, so over the past few years we have bought a few fans and kept them going throughout practice along with the door to the hallway. By no means is the air quality great, but it certainly is better. If you know who the pool operator is, maybe you can check to see what kind of chlorine or other chemical they use. The cheaper ones result in worse air quality. Another help is having everyone shower before they enter the pool. In a recent edition of the CPO magazine that our club got, it suggests that all the chemicals from perfume, etc. are really bad for the quality of air (which makes sense). Sorry for being so wordy!

Suzanne

Racer X
October 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Suzanne is right on.

There is an invisible layer of chlorine gas that hovers just above the water in every pool. This gas enters the breathing passages and lungs and causes irritation. This irritation can lead to an erosion of the protective linings of these areas which can then allow viruses and bacteria to enter and cause infections like bronchitis and Pneumonia. The key is good air circulation at the water level.

Rich Abrahams
October 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
As the air affects everyone on the team in a similar way, it is likely a problem with the pool water and/or the HVAC system. This can be a serious problem for your health. I don't want to get too technical, but when the pool chemistry is out of whack the pool will "gas off" some nasty stuff like trihalomethanes, nitrogen chloride and haloacetic acids. If the HVAC system is poor the problem is exacerbated, especially right at the water surface.

If your pool operator doesn't understand this stuff call the local health dept.

In the meantime one thing your team can do is no kick sets with kickboards. This aerates the water at the surface and can make the situation much worse.

Rich

Racer X
October 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
We had a problem like this in high school. Six or eight swimmers ended up with bronchitis before they figured out what was going on.

geochuck
October 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
They no longer allow commercial pools to be built with out the proper air exchange in the province of Ontario. The gases from chlorine would not be there if the pool had proper treatment. Eg I saw at a pool in Montana the lifegard walking around the pool with a bucket of chlorine filling the bucket with water and throwing it in the pool then taking the readings. If the water is on the acid side the gases escape then would hover. That pool was in Gillette Montana.

patmcdev31
October 12th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks all of you. Your information is very helpful

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM
They no longer allow commercial pools to be built with out the proper air exchange in the province of Ontario. The gases from chlorine would not be there if the pool had proper treatment. Eg I saw at a pool in Montana the lifegard walking around the pool with a bucket of chlorine filling the bucket with water and throwing it in the pool then taking the readings. If the water is on the acid side the gases escape then would hover. That pool was in Gillette Montana.

I have seen this done at 2 Ys in Illinois. I've always been told that chlorine is not an allergent because it isn't a protein. It can irratate like aspirin and NSAIDS. But also the cough could be from exercise-induced asthma. Intal works wonders. I'm not a docotr and I don't even play one on TV but I've had severe asthma (72% lung capacity with 12 liters of intake) all of my life.

geochuck
October 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Craig the gas that comes from chlorine and acid mixture is the same gas the Germans used in the first war. It can be very deadly. My brother Bill inhaled chorine gas in a pool in Washington several years ago and was lucky to survive it burned his lungs severally.