PDA

View Full Version : Sleep: More than 6 hours?

The Fortress
October 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
My husband was watching the Today show the other day. There was a psychologist on it that said Americans (don't know about Canadians) are averaging 6.1 hours per night, way below the recommened 8 (for most people; individuals vary). Apparently, brain activity falls way off after that. I'm sure swimming performance must too. So

1. How much sleep are people getting?
2. How much sleep would you like to get?
3. How much sleep is conducive to best swim performance?
4. Does lack of sleep effect your performance at practice or a meet?

Sydney
October 20th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I know that 99% of people who reply to this will say, "Oh no! I only need 5 hours to function at my peak! Only lazy people/wusses need less than that. These so called scientists don't know what they're talking about."

If I get 8 I'm ok. 8.5 is best. 7 three nights in a row will leave me dragging. And yes, it affects my athletic and mental performance negatively when I get less, as well as my mood. I actually get about 7.5 - 8.

swimmerlisa
October 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
i sleep about 7-8 hours a night. Before a meet, I need at least that to function, however I still can function on six hours, but I will definitely need a nap (which I usually take anyway if I can) between prelims and finals. Optimal is 8 or 9 hours of sleep to be completely fresh and well rested. Sleeping anything more than 9 is too much and I'd be too groggy.

jim clemmons
October 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
"Apparently, brain activity falls way off after that."

I know some folks who definitely fall into this category even with plenty of sleep.:snore:

Anyway, weeknights I average around 6-6.5 making up for lack of it on weekends when I usally get 7-7.5'ish with a nap during the day (both days if possible). I make a point of upping the amount of sleep the week leading up to major competition events. I've noticed negative impact to results due to sleep deprivation at meets if I go into it without compensating.

meldyck
October 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM
It's got to be 8 or more over the long haul. At a competition, I can get by on almost nothing for 3-4 days.

Jim: didn't I see you catching one of your naps right before the 800 in Walnut Creek last weekend?

-- mel

jim clemmons
October 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
It's got to be 8 or more over the long haul. At a competition, I can get by on almost nothing for 3-4 days.

Jim: didn't I see you catching one of your naps right before the 800 in Walnut Creek last weekend?

-- mel

There's usually too much excitement going on at a meet to sneak in a nap. I went out to my car to try and was not successful. It was too warm and noisy from the playground.

It was nice meeting and chatting with you. Hope your trip back was pleasant.

The Fortress
October 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I think I'm more like Jim. 6-6.5 during the week and 7-7.5 on the weekend unless I'm actually out socializing -- a rare event with my 3 kids and their stuff. I think I would be much jollier if I had 7.5 every night. But I'm a night owl.

Plus, it's my own belief/experience that women in their 40s are often troubled sleepers because of hormones, stress, driving their kids to early am swim practice, etc. Unfortunately, I fall into that category.

I also sleep like crap during meets, especially if I'm travelling. In Augustat Stanford, I asked my husband to set his alarm for 6:30 am to make sure I was up in time to warm up for the 50 free. He forgot to change his watch from east coast time, so I was happily awakened -- for good -- at 3:30 am. I think I would have gone faster without the unintentional sabotage.

scyfreestyler
October 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
My boss always tells me that there will be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. Of course, he is also the one who tells me the best medicine for the common cold is work....good times!

I generally get about 6-7 hours of sleep and I don't really feel that it is enough. With 2 kids it's awfully difficult to go to bed early and wake up late.

Peter Cruise
October 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Fortress/Leslie/Alison/Nemesis Exterminator-
I hope hubby was properly made aware of the depth and gravity of his error.

The Fortress
October 20th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Peter: He still carries the guilt. I think I can hold it against him or tell it as a funny story to friends for at least 5 years.

The Fortress
October 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Syndey:

At least no one so far has been ballsy enough to claim they only need 5 hours of sleep and the rest of us are wusses. Not me, I know I'm only getting 5 hours tonight because I have to get up early to travel, and I'm already grumpy and tired. :snore:

globuggie
October 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep a night and 8-9 on the weekends, and 8 1/2 or so is my ideal amount. I'm in college, so most of my friends get a lot less sleep than I do, but I'm not productive without enough sleep. I start feeling tired if I get less than 7 hours of sleep for a few days in a row. If I swim when I'm tired, I don't have the motivation to work hard and end up doing lots of slow backstroke.

Leonard Jansen
October 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Plus, it's my own belief/experience that women in their 40s are often troubled sleepers because of hormones, stress, driving their kids to early am swim practice, etc. Unfortunately, I fall into that category.

Shhh... I tell my wife it's because she has some guily secret(s), whereas I sleep like a log due to no guilt, when I sleep. I am afraid that I am one of those who rarely gets more than 6 hours, but it is normal on my dad's side of the family. My parenal grandmother was down to 2 hours a night by the time she died at 90. My siblings are the same and I think we drove my parents nuts as kids, because my sisters were up half the night & then my brother & I got up very early. My parents never got any rest.

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
LBJ:

Your poor parents. I don't sleep much either. (Obviously, it's midnight already and I'm on the computer instead of snoozing.) My daughter's the same way. She smiles when she gets up for early morning practice. Now, I've grown accustomed to not sleeping much (although I pine for more), but I dont' SMILE when I get up until I've had 2-3 cups of coffee. (I don't drink 20 cups like George.)

How little sleep do you get before you swimming suffers? Do you sleep like a baby before meets? And, please, don't make your poor wife feel like she had a guilty secret. Unless she wants to be a "desperate housewife."

Leslie (er, Alison; I keep forgetting I changed my name because of Geek.)

knelson
October 23rd, 2006, 12:41 AM
I get 6-7 during the week and it's not enough. I'm always tired. When I don't have to wake up for anything on the weekends I'll sleep 9-10 hours. I'm also a big fan of naps whenever possible.

I wish I was one of those people who can get by fine on 6 hours, but clearly I'm not.

scwids
October 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Definitely an 8 hours a night or more girl. Partially because I think it's just my nature, and partially because after finishing 3 years of residency where I was averaging 4-5 hours sleep/night and up on call for a 36 hour stretch straight every 4th night, I am frankly just bitter if I get shortchanged these days! :joker:

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Aren't we supposed to need less sleep as we get older? I'm 32 and I think I need just as much as I did when I was 18...probably more. What gives?

MichiganHusker
October 24th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I need a ton of sleep - more than anyone I know. If I only get 7-8 hours during the week, I will typically sleep 12-14 hours on Friday, with a nap on Saturday and another 10-12 hours on Sunday.

I have found that I do much better at swimmeets on Sunday after I have had the long Friday night's sleep than meets on Saturday.

Anyone else need a ton of sleep? I personally hate it, but I've always been like that.

swimmerlisa
October 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
wow that's a lot of sleep! how old are you, may i ask?

scyfreestyler: i feel like i could go on four or five hours of sleep in high school but as I'm getting older I need more and more. It hurts to only sleep five hours and get up and swim or go to work. Whereas when I was younger I could pull all nighters and be just fine the next day. at least for me, as i'm getting older (granted i'm only 24) i need more sleep, i'm getting too old for late nights and early mornings! :D

The Fortress
October 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
SCY freestyler:

I don't think we're "supposed" to need less sleep as we get older unless we are significantly less active. I think it just happens. It may be that you're working more, and, as you know, kids get in the way. I still feel like I need more sleep, but if I went to bed at 10:00, I'd lose my mind because I would have no time to myself.

I also think, at least for women, hormones play a role/interfere with sleep. And I've heard that we produce less melatonin and whatnot as we get older, so we're missing the stuff that helps us sleep.

There must be an MD on here that could tell us what that "whatnot" stuff is. I'm just a boring lawyer.

jim clemmons
October 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
"And I've heard that we produce less melatonin and whatnot as we get older,"

One thing that I definitely know is that I produce less whatnot now that I'm older. That and a bunch of other stuff as well.

knelson
October 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I still feel like I need more sleep, but if I went to bed at 10:00, I'd lose my mind because I would have no time to myself.

That's my main problem, too. I swim after work so get home around 7:30 p.m. After I'm done eating it's 8:00 or 8:30. If I went to bed at 10:00 that wouldn't leave much time for anything else at home, so I usually don't get to bed until after 11:00.

MichiganHusker
October 25th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Kirk, that's my problem too plus having a stressful job takes alot out of me.

Lisa, I'm 44.

:snore: