PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to swim 1 mile of breastroke?

love2swim
October 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks

Jeff Commings
October 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM
When I was 23, I did a 3,000-meter breaststroke (long course) three times a year. My fastest was 36 minutes. That's 18 minutes for a mile. I didn't negative split. I held 1:18 per 100 for the middle 2500.

I don't recommend it unless you have a lengthy song catalogue in your head.

Peter Cruise
October 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Well I'll be gobsmacked! Jeff, that is just disgustipating. If I had been swimming laps while you streaked by doing your 3000 I think I would have got out & quietly left & got drunk.
I bet you then went up to any sprint butterfliers you knew and innocently remarked "I just did 3000 of my best stroke in 36min. What's your time for fly?"

Allen Stark
October 20th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Jeff's times are unreal. I can hold 1:18 per 100M LCM for 1X100 shaved and tapered if I'm lucky. I haven't swum over 400 breastsroke since college but for 400 SCY I can keep at 1:30 per 100. I plan to do an open water 1 mi. swim all breaststroke next summer so I can let you know how that comes out(unless I have a sudden attack of sanity before then.)

meldyck
October 20th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Before I taught myself to swim freestyle, I swam the 1650 breaststroke. At the 1994 USMS Nationals, when I was 52, my time for the mile was 26:22.09.

As Peter Cruise knows, my next goal is to do the mile all fly...

-- mel

The Fortress
October 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Aren't there some crazy swimmers around called "butternuts" who do lots of open water fly?

Edward The Head
October 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Before I taught myself to swim freestyle, I swam the 1650 breaststroke. At the 1994 USMS Nationals, when I was 52, my time for the mile was 26:22.09.

As Peter Cruise knows, my next goal is to do the mile all fly...

-- mel

Don't make me cry, I can do the 1650 in around 23 minutes, free. I wouldn't mind trying to do the 1650 fly though, might be fun. I did do a 1000 IM last year just for fun, maybe this year I'll try the 1650 fly. Great, thanks for the poor idea that I'll never get out of my head.

poolraat
October 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Why swim a mile (using any stroke)? You guys are nuts! Now if there were lots of :drink: at the end, I might consider it.

geochuck
October 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Never tried it but did swim 22 miles crawl in 2 hours with the river current in the Saguenay River.

knelson
October 23rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
My guess is there are very few people here who have actually done a mile breaststroke nonstop, so you've got us beat pretty much by default!

... Jeff excluded, of course, but I bet he's not doing many 3,000 meter breasts for time these days!

aquageek
October 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Based on my current daily yardage of breastroke, I would say a mile would take me 7-8 months.

geochuck
October 23rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Based on my current daily yardage or breastroke, I would say a mile would take me 7-8 months.It would take a three year calender to get my time for 100yds of breaststroke.

Warren
October 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM
I wouldnt recommend doing a mile of breast everyday because its bad on the knees.

fanstone
October 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
My current view of breastroke is that it is a stroke I use to cool down or to get rest in between freestyle repeats. I also "use" it when swimming my now pitifull 100 meter I.M. I come out of the backstroke so dead that I hardly do the underwater pull out (the filipine it is called here) correctly and efficiently. However, in my group, if I want to I can still be faster than most. So basically I swim backstroke and breast for the 100 (in the future maybe a 200) I.M. In my previous life or even up to last year I hadn't noticed the "knee" issue in the breastroke. Now I can feel it slightly, as I age (56). If however I were in a situation in a lake or ocean I would probably use the breast to save myself. When doing 1,000 meters (maybe 3,000 next year) open water I use the breast every now and then to get a correct sighting of the buoys or whatever. billy fanstone (from way back when you couldn't have water over your head nor do the thing under water nowadays allowed).

aquaFeisty
October 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I think I did a 66 lengths in an 80 foot pool (so this is longer than a true 1650) in about 30 minutes. I don't have much swimming background... this is not a particularly fast time, but I was also doing it just to finish strong, not fast.

This was several years ago... before my knees really started to bug me. Now, I don't think I ever do more than 1200 yds breast in any one practice and that would be all broken up (like 6x200 - maybe 3x200 breast, some freestyle, and 3x200 breast again). And then the next day I'd probably have to avoid breaststroke after a set like that. :)

Jeff's times are unreal...

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2006, 12:09 PM
When I was 23, I did a 3,000-meter breaststroke (long course) three times a year. My fastest was 36 minutes. That's 18 minutes for a mile. I didn't negative split. I held 1:18 per 100 for the middle 2500.

I don't recommend it unless you have a lengthy song catalogue in your head.

I swim breast in-between free sets to break things up a bit...I never time myself in breast for fear of self-pity. Shoot, I can't even swim a mile of free that fast right now! :rofl:

Jeff, you were an animal!

:notworthy:

knelson
October 24th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I think I did a 66 lengths in an 80 foot pool (so this is longer than a true 1650)

It is, however, exactly one mile (66*80 = 5280 feet).

geochuck
October 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
We swam what we call a metric mile 1650 yards = 1508 meters.

I now swim the odd 1 length of breaststroke 1 dive glide and 2 pulls, no kick, thats it.

aquaFeisty
October 24th, 2006, 02:50 PM
It is, however, exactly one mile (66*80 = 5280 feet).

Well, maybe they did have some logic in building an 80 foot pool!! I always wondered about that!

knelson
October 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Well, maybe they did have some logic in building an 80 foot pool!! I always wondered about that!

What? You didn't think a 26 2/3 yard pool made sense or somethin'? ;)

geochuck
October 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
May be the contractor got drunk and it was ment to be 82.02099737532808 feet, which is 25 meters

love2swim
October 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Thank you all for your inputs. If I can swim 1 mile of breastroke in 25 minutes, then I should be in the good shape, right?
I did not know that breastroke can be bad for knees. May be I should work on my freestyle and use it for my 1-mile workout. For some reasons, I can not swim freestyle more than 20 lengths(25yards/length) nonstop. I think my technique is correct; perhaps my endurance is not good?
Thanks.

knelson
October 25th, 2006, 12:39 AM
If I can swim 1 mile of breastroke in 25 minutes, then I should be in the good shape, right?

I would say so. That would be a 1:25 pace per 100 yards, and that would be pretty darn good for that duration.

TRYM_Swimmer
October 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Don't forget the old 20 yard pools. They were perfect when the races were 220, 440, etc. 88 lengths for a mile and you didn't have to use a rope across the pool to finish the race. Always seemed odd to swim 5 lengths for 100.

I think back in the 70's that NCAA used to keep 20 yard pool records.

breastroker
October 28th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I swam several 1650s in meets all breaststroke. I just thought of them as a workout. I only worked the turns and tried to keep the underwater strokes long. Drove the freestyle swimmers crazy as I could turn faster than they could and come up 2 yards ahead after the underwater. Then they would go by me as I was really loafing the breaststroke. Had bad shoulders at the time (still do).

I think my times were between 25 and 27 minutes.

Josh54
October 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Which brings to mind a question: are the pools in the US still not metric?

Peter Cruise
October 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Josh- to paraphrase Charlton Heston: 'you would have to rip my yards pools from my cold, dead hands'...no. they're still building them.

strong440
October 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Which brings to mind a question: are the pools in the US still not metric?
Ronald Reagan's first executive action (or nearly) was to cancel the USA's being on track to adopt the metric system. One of George W's first was to cancel the inclusion of metrics in highway signs and other stuff like that.

Josh54
October 30th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Ronald Reagan's first executive action (or nearly) was to cancel the USA's being on track to adopt the metric system. One of George W's first was to cancel the inclusion of metrics in highway signs and other stuff like that.

So the metric system is a communist plot?

BTW, Britian (the historical home of miles, yards and whatever else) is gradually moving to the metric system.

Ralph
July 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lots of good information and humor! I liked laughed out loud at the response of "a few months".
I just swam a mile (1800 yards) today, for the second time in my life. :applaud:How long did it take me...? Just a little under an hour, breast stroke, no stops. What a way to start the day! At over 1 mile per hour!!!:bolt:
I had never heard that the breast stroke was hard on knees. Maybe I should learn the crawl. I go real slow, (duh) , if that makes it any easier on those knees.:afraid:

gigi
July 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Aren't there some crazy swimmers around called "butternuts" who do lots of open water fly?

I didn't know this was a term (or an actual "thing") but last year I was hanging out by a pond on the Cape and I saw some unusual splashing way out in the middle of the pond - half a mile away anyway. I watched it as it got closer and closer and even though it seemed like the splash pattern of someone doing fly, it didn't seem possible. But that's exactly what it was - this girl was swimming all the way across the pond doing fly. Around 50m from shore she turned around and went back across. It was nuts!

And impressive!

ANd I think it would take several hours to do one mile of breaststroke

ViveBene
July 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Tom Boettcher regularly does the Big Shoulders 5k all fly.
It isn't nuts. It's what you choose to do, and practice.

One of my lake swimming buds does Big Shoulders all breaststroke. She is significantly faster than I swimming it freestyle.

:applaud:

frankiej
July 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
18 mins for a mile. Damn. That's unreal!

Hell, my 1200m workouts take me an hour to do. You guys make me want to sit in the corner and go fetal.

mermaid
July 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
God Bless our Masters Swimmers Everywhere, for Every Reason

stillwater
July 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
27 minutes. No more no less.

2fish&1whale
July 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
45 minutes including a quick rest after each 250.I usually do 2 miles in 90 though and I would hope that the 1st is a bit faster than the 2nd.

orca1946
July 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
For me ,waaaaay too long! My free OW time is 27 min.

RobbieD
July 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM
For those of you that are Butternut curious, there is a website out there for it:

http://www.grinswim.org/~nasti/butternuts

I want to do this when I grow up:D

bud
July 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
a 35min mile in breaststroke sounds pretty good to me. my knees are hurting just thinking about it.

as for the fly comments... Tom Boettcher is a wimp!

Vicki Keith (http://www.penguinscanfly.ca/penguinscanfly/index.cfm?page=vicki_about)
"Vicki came out of swimming retirement, and spent 63 hours and 40 minutes in Lake Ontario, completing 80.2 kilometres butterfly"

(Actually Tom is pretty cool. His [now defunct?] web article "Learning to Fly" helped me a lot on my quest to learn fly. In terms of both technique and inspiration.)

FridayGrrl
July 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Just did an open-water swim for fun, held by a local triathlon group as a training run. Course was .6 miles per loop. I did the second loop breaststroke just to compare it to my freestyle, for fun. Free lap was 20 minutes, breast lap was 24. Very choppy, wavy and lots of current that day. Drank lots of sea water on the freestyle loop, but swimming breaststroke through all the waves was heavenly!

geochuck
July 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Just wonder what revelance to swimming has a mile swim of breaststroke butterfly or backstroke. How many competitions could you enter???

Wasted effort???

TRYM_Swimmer
July 8th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I swam in a 132 ft. (44 yds.) pool in England. You could do an even 220, 440, 880, and mile in that one. And most lap swimmers there do the beautiful stroke.

k2spitfire
May 29th, 2012, 03:03 AM
about 2.5 years ago i did it in ~28 minutes. don't have much swimming background, was just a gym rat at the time. but naturally i have huge legs.

i've set a goal to swim 3 miles in an hour... we'll see how that goes.

geochuck
May 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM
If you time your currents right you can easily swim 20 miles down the Saguenay River in two hours. Just a thought breastrokers and noodlers cause the same problem during laps.

about 2.5 years ago i did it in ~28 minutes. don't have much swimming background, was just a gym rat at the time. but naturally i have huge legs.

i've set a goal to swim 3 miles in an hour... we'll see how that goes.

Allen Stark
May 29th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just a thought breastrokers and noodlers cause the same problem during laps.

Perhaps,if by "breastroke" you mean the head up monstrosity used by the same sort of people who don't want to get their hair wet as noodlers.
That,of course ,has nothing in common with breaSTSTroke.

ElaineK
May 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Perhaps,if by "breastroke" you mean the head up monstrosity used by the same sort of people who don't want to get their hair wet as noodlers.
That,of course ,has nothing in common with breaSTSTroke.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Fresnoid
May 29th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Breaststroke:Freestyle = Noodling:Swimming

ViveBene
May 29th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I've swum with breaststrokers who were strong, and good. It was their fastest traveling stroke.
Couple of swimmers do Big Shoulders 5k all fly.
No stroke is an issue in the pool if the swimmer observes passing courtesy.

Allen Stark
May 30th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Breaststroke:Freestyle = Noodling:Swimming

Come on.BR swimmers don't complain about getting their hair wet,complain about getting splashed,complain that 86 degrees is too cold,or try to get the pool closed to everyone else when they want to use it.

ElaineK
May 30th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Come on.BR swimmers don't complain about getting their hair wet,complain about getting splashed,complain that 86 degrees is too cold,or try to get the pool closed to everyone else when they want to use it.

Yeah, King Frog, you tell him! :bitching: And, I'll add one to that: If "Breaststroke:Freestyle = Noodling:Swimming", then why is the 200 breaststroke widely considered one of the most difficult races in swimming? And, why do so many IM'ers have such difficulty with the breaststroke leg of their races? AND, why do so many swimming experts say breaststroke is technically the most difficult stroke?

:duel:

Fresnoid
May 30th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah, King Frog, you tell him! :bitching: And, I'll add one to that: If "Breaststroke:Freestyle = Noodling:Swimming", then why is the 200 breaststroke widely considered one of the most difficult races in swimming? And, why do so many IM'ers have such difficulty with the breaststroke leg of their races? AND, why do so many swimming experts say breaststroke is technically the most difficult stroke?

:duel:

Its the most difficult because it requires a physical mutation to do it proficiently. I'm not talking about a cool X-Men like mutation. More like a regression back in evolution to when our frog footed amphibious ancestors first waddled out of the oceans. :thhbbb:

aquageek
May 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Well, it wasn't too long ago that getting your hair wet in breast was a DQ. All 200s are hard, all distances are hard, breast is not unique in that way, at all.

Debugger
May 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Its the most difficult because it requires a physical mutation to do it proficiently. I'm not talking about a cool X-Men like mutation. More like a regression back in evolution to when our frog footed amphibious ancestors first waddled out of the oceans. :thhbbb:
Sounds like an admission of a looser who cannot swim the stroke.

That Guy
May 30th, 2012, 03:03 PM
That is a very funny comment. But not for the intended reason.

Fresnoid
May 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Whether I can or cannot swim breast very well does not change the facts in my previous post. :D

Allen Stark
May 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Whether I can or cannot swim breast very well does not change the facts in my previous post. :D

All I saw was opinion,where are the facts of which you speak?
I'll grant that BR takes a different type of flexibility than the other 3 strokes.It also doesn't penalize one for being shorter of stature.All athletic endevours have an optimal body type,that hardly makes those people"mutants."

Allen Stark
May 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Well, it wasn't too long ago that getting your hair wet in breast was a DQ. All 200s are hard, all distances are hard, breast is not unique in that way, at all.

Actually part of your head had to break the surface at all times.Up until the SDK revolution BR swimmers spent the most time underwater.I agree all 200s are hard and the 200 fly is the only one where you can be DQd for basically being too tired.

Fresnoid
May 30th, 2012, 11:55 PM
All I saw was opinion,where are the facts of which you speak?
I'll grant that BR takes a different type of flexibility than the other 3 strokes.It also doesn't penalize one for being shorter of stature.All athletic endevours have an optimal body type,that hardly makes those people"mutants."

OK, "mutant" may be too colorful.

The optimal characteristics for breast stroke are distinctly different from the rest of swimming and you don't have to be as tall.

Hmmm.

You are like football kickers. Little guys who are skilled at their specialty which has nothing to do with the skills needed for any other position. But dang it, you're needed for the medley relay.

aquageek
May 31st, 2012, 03:02 PM
Actually part of your head had to break the surface at all times.

Help me with my memory. Back in the 1970s we did/could not submerge our heads totally while doing breast. Or, was that just the style back then and submersion was totally fine?

Chris Stevenson
May 31st, 2012, 03:17 PM
Help me with my memory. Back in the 1970s we did/could not submerge our heads totally while doing breast. Or, was that just the style back then and submersion was totally fine?

I am pretty sure you could not duck your head under the water.

What gets me about the stroke is the great diversity of styles you see even in the elite swimmers, more than any ather stroke in my opinion. Truly the stroke for non-conformists, I guess.

I simply cannot imagine the circumstances under which I would willingly swim a mile breastroke. I would sooner watch a Twilight movie.

ElaineK
May 31st, 2012, 03:40 PM

:applaud: :banana: :bouncing:

ElaineK
May 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
But dang it, you're needed for the medley relay.

That's right, Fresnoid! You are stuck with us frogs if you want to swim on a medley relay team. :bighug: ;)

ElaineK
May 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM
I simply cannot imagine the circumstances under which I would willingly swim a mile breastroke. I would sooner watch a Twilight movie.

Hey, Chris, I'm a breaststroker and even I can't imagine willingly swimming a mile of breaststroke! :afraid:200 is bad enough; it is a tough stroke to swim correctly for that long. After 200 meters, I'm afraid I would start looking like a noodler swimming breaststroke. :worms:

Allen Stark
May 31st, 2012, 03:56 PM
Up until the SDK "revolution," I didn't swim any evilstroke. Allowing one dolphin kick off the wall is hardly a revolution though. Maybe if they gave us two, and hence cut back on the DQs for pulling down hard after kicking, it would be more transformative. (Or just permit swimmers to substitute dolphin for whip kick. :-)) But one little dolphin kick for a 50 m sprint is nuthin.

Swimming a mile of breaststroke?!
I meant that ,before SDK became popular for Fly,BK and Free ,those swimmers were coming to the surface well before BR swimmers due to the pullout in BR.
Prior to 1986 some part of the head had to break the surface at all times.Most of the head could be underwater and we did get our hair wet.Before the rule change in the 1950s requiring the head to break the surface ,BR swimmers would swim as much of the race as possible underwater.

aquageek
May 31st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Before the rule change in the 1950s requiring the head to break the surface ,BR swimmers would swim as much of the race as possible underwater.

I normally rely on matysekj to give me history from the 1950s when he was in his early 30s.

matysekj
May 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I normally rely on matysekj to give me history from the 1950s when he was in his early 30s.

This is true - I was alive for a little more than 30 days in the 1950s, but I don't remember a whole lot of it. Now GET OFF MY LAWN you hoodlum! :cane:

That Guy
May 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Now GET OFF MY LAWN you hoodlum! :cane:
So... if... Rob Copeland tries to banninate matysekj (or delete his post, etc)... which of these things will happen?

Rob Copeland
May 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM
which of these things will happen?Option 4 - That Guy gets a Hello Kitty avatar.:bliss:

jaadams1
May 31st, 2012, 10:45 PM
Option 4 - That Guy gets a Hello Kitty avatar.:bliss:

As moderator...can you get this to happen without him being able to change it? :applaud:

That Guy
May 31st, 2012, 11:48 PM
As moderator...can you get this to happen without him being able to change it? :applaud:
Why would I want to change it? :banana:

aquageek
June 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Why would I want to change it? :banana:

Word.

That Guy
June 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Word.

:chug:

ALM
June 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM

The lesson here is to be nice to your moderators... Otherwise Kitty will go bad...

ElaineK
June 2nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
The lesson here is to be nice to your moderators... Otherwise Kitty will go bad...

:lmao: Love it!

Fresnoid
June 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM

No, the lesson is that breaststroke is so different from normal swimming that it should be segregated as a separate sport, just like Rhythmic Gymnastics.

gobears
June 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
No, the lesson is that breaststroke is so different from normal swimming that it should be segregated as a separate sport, just like Rhythmic Gymnastics.

For someone who can't swim breaststroke, you sure are obsessed with it...:banana: Perhaps some breaststroke-envy therapy is in order?

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 11:03 AM
For someone who can't swim breaststroke, you sure are obsessed with it...:banana: Perhaps some breaststroke-envy therapy is in order?

Where did I say in this thread that I can't swim it? Whether I can or cannot is irrelevant regarding the vile nature of that blundering imbecilic stroke.

Allen Stark
June 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Where did I say in this thread that I can't swim it? Whether I can or cannot is irrelevant regarding the vile nature of that blundering imbecilic stroke.
OK,we get it,you don't like breaststroke.To avoid us ,just don't go on threads with "breaststroke" in the title.I didn't say anything bad about your 400 free thread,nor would I(some of my best friends are distance swimmers,but then one swam the Catalina Channel breaststroke.). All swimmers have more in common with each other than with the general populace,even us duck walking,frog legged "mutants."

gobears
June 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM
OK,we get it,you don't like breaststroke.To avoid us ,just don't go on threads with "breaststroke" in the title.I didn't say anything bad about your 400 free thread,nor would I(some of my best friends are distance swimmers,but then one swam the Catalina Channel breaststroke.). All swimmers have more in common with each other than with the general populace,even us duck walking,frog legged "mutants."

Exactly. It's highly unlikely that someone who can swim the breaststroke well would feel the obsessive need to constantly put the stroke down. We get it. You (Fresnoid) hate breaststroke (most likely because you don't do it very well). Now, go do something about that or whine about it somewhere else.

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Geez guys. The breaststrokers I used to know had the fortitude to banter back.

Maybe do a little research in the USMS competition results. Then you could seriously abuse me.

gobears
June 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM

Maybe do a little research in the USMS competition results. Then you could seriously abuse me.

The thing you don't seem to understand, Fresnoid, is that I have no need to put you (or your chosen events) down in order to feel ok about myself. I'm not particularly wonderful at backstroke or butterfly but I admire those who do those strokes well.

When you fire off numerous posts about thinking breaststroke/breaststrokers are "mutants," "blundering," and "imbecilic," it is not a matter of our lack of fortitude, but of your lack of tact and impulse control.

ElaineK
June 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
All swimmers have more in common with each other than with the general populace,even us duck walking,frog legged "mutants."

And, just for you, my duck walking, frog legged, mutant fellow frog, I found just the motif for your next bathroom remodel! This actually exists in one of the model homes in our community.:afraid:
(Photographs compliments of Debaru, a fellow frog Forumite who is visiting us from Arizona and joined me for the Athens meet, yesterday.)

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
The thing you don't seem to understand, Fresnoid, is that I have no need to put you (or your chosen events) down in order to feel ok about myself. I'm not particularly wonderful at backstroke or butterfly but I admire those who do those strokes well.

When you fire off numerous posts about thinking breaststroke/breaststrokers are "mutants," "blundering," and "imbecilic," it is not a matter of our lack of fortitude, but of your lack of tact and impulse control.

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt by good natured heckling. The adjectives used are intentionally extreme so it would be clearly not serious.

gobears
June 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry your feelings are hurt by good natured heckling. The adjectives used are intentionally extreme so it would be clearly not serious.

Whatever makes you feel good. My feelings aren't "hurt" but I do get annoyed at people who feel the need to relentlessly "heckle" in order to make themselves feel superior.

You should know that intent is, for the most part, indiscernible over the internet. Whether your statements were "good natured" or "clearly not serious" is anything but obvious.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I just can't imagine wasting my time on 3 or 4 posts that "good naturedly" heckle backstrokers just for kicks. :2cents:

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Whatever makes you feel good. My feelings aren't "hurt" but I do get annoyed at people who feel the need to relentlessly "heckle" in order to make themselves feel superior.

You should know that intent is, for the most part, indiscernible over the internet. Whether your statements were "good natured" or "clearly not serious" is anything but obvious.

Like I said, whatever floats your boat, I guess. I just can't imagine wasting my time on 3 or 4 posts that "good naturedly" heckle backstrokers just for kicks. :2cents:

It doesn't make me feel superior at all. I'm sorry you are sensitive enough to be annoyed. It doesn't bother me at all to be bad at breaststroke - so bad its a big joke around here.

I even raced 2 400 IMs this year for the sole purpose of entertaining my teammates. They heckled me while I struggled through the third leg. One of my buddies was in the next lane on a LCM 400 IM. He's 10 years older than I am, was 10 seconds behind me after the back and passed me by 1 second before the free. It was great fun for others to watch.

Allen Stark
June 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM

Oh,so this is that trash talking I've heard about. I'm sorry but that concept is after my time:cane: .I have looked your times up and you have some respectable TTs.All in distance free,you might want to expand your focus.Once I even swam a 200 BK.The announcer made fun of me,but I won my age group(only entry,that's why I swam it.)

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 06:10 PM
Oh,so this is that trash talking I've heard about. I'm sorry but that concept is after my time:cane: .I have looked your times up and you have some respectable TTs.All in distance free,you might want to expand your focus.Once I even swam a 200 BK.The announcer made fun of me,but I won my age group(only entry,that's why I swam it.)

See my previous post. Look up my splits from those 2 swims and prepare to laugh.

ALM
June 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
See my previous post. Look up my splits from those 2 swims and prepare to laugh.

Wow. SCY 400 IM, May 6, 2012:

Leg... Cumulative...Subtractive
1........ 31.94 ......... 31.94
2..... 1:08.59 ......... 36.65
3..... 1:50.97 ......... 42.38
4..... 2:32.74 ......... 41.77
5..... 3:24.66 ......... 51.92
6..... 4:16.37 ......... 51.71
7..... 4:49.40 ......... 33.03
8..... 5:21.42 ......... 32.02

gobears
June 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM
It doesn't make me feel superior at all. I'm sorry you are sensitive enough to be annoyed. It doesn't bother me at all to be bad at breaststroke - so bad its a big joke around here.

I even raced 2 400 IMs this year for the sole purpose of entertaining my teammates. They heckled me while I struggled through the third leg. One of my buddies was in the next lane on a LCM 400 IM. He's 10 years older than I am, was 10 seconds behind me after the back and passed me by 1 second before the free. It was great fun for others to watch.

Not my cup of tea, really. I don't get a kick out of seeing others struggle with a stroke. YMMV.

I'm also not sure why you were insisting that you never said you couldn't swim breaststroke one minute and the next you are claiming we all should be laughing at you because you can't!

I'd rather cheer you on as you work on getting better. :)

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Wow. SCY 400 IM, May 6, 2012:

Leg... Cumulative...Subtractive
1........ 31.94 ......... 31.94
2..... 1:08.59 ......... 36.65
3..... 1:50.97 ......... 42.38
4..... 2:32.74 ......... 41.77
5..... 3:24.66 ......... 51.92
6..... 4:16.37 ......... 51.71
7..... 4:49.40 ......... 33.03
8..... 5:21.42 ......... 32.02

I was planning to hang close to Jim Clemmons in the next lane until the breast. Unfortunately I was sore from an unpleasant 1650 earlier in the afternoon. After the first 50, my goal changed to "finish without needing immediate medical attention". But what precision, even splitting the breast like that!

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Not my cup of tea, really. I don't get a kick out of seeing others struggle with a stroke. YMMV.

I'm also not sure why you were insisting that you never said you couldn't swim breaststroke one minute and the next you are claiming we all should be laughing at you because you can't!

I'd rather cheer you on as you work on getting better. :)

I was merely pointing out that up til then I had not yet said anything about my skills, so don't assume I'm a bitter "looser".

The reason my struggles are funny is that when I'm in shape, I'm the fastest, hardest working freestyler at either of the clubs I train with. It really is entertaining to see someone I lap in a 300 during practice crush me by 11 seconds/100 in a different stroke.

Fresnoid
June 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
OK enough with the threadjacking.

I apologize to anyone who was offended by my over the top criticism of breaststroke. It was intended to incite some creative trash talking a la sprint vs. distance.

mlabresh
June 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
I was merely pointing out that up til then I had not yet said anything about my skills, so don't assume I'm a bitter "looser".

The reason my struggles are funny is that when I'm in shape, I'm the fastest, hardest working freestyler at either of the clubs I train with. It really is entertaining to see someone I lap in a 300 during practice crush me by 11 seconds/100 in a different stroke.

And I get a kick out of this too! I'm a breaststroker and I used to swim with a friend who was NOT.

He is 6 years younger than me, male, and over a foot taller than me! He has previous competitive swimming experience, I do not. We used to always race our last lap (which the lifeguard would give him grief for because of his obvious advantage).. we had fun trying to figure out just how much of a lead he'd have to give me in order for me to win a 50 free race against him.. but I always kicked his butt when I could talk him into racing breast instead. :rofl:

Pamela Hazel
October 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Actually, I am going to be 69 on Sunday. I swam breaststroke (the old-fashioned kind, with a frog-kick, although I sometimes did 3-4 strokes underwater) when I was younger, for a mile, and really don't remember my time. Then I had a series of health disasters, ending with a very successful back surgery in April. On Sunday, I went to the local Y and swam for the first time since 1981. I did the breaststroke for one mile. It took me about an hour, but it was effortless. I wasn't even breathing hard at the end. I'm not interested in speed -- just distance. Doing the old-fashioned breaststroke for a mile is so soothing. I felt as if I were 30 again. I'd love to do it in open water. I feel certain I could do five miles easily.

DeniseMW
October 14th, 2014, 09:36 AM
According to the coach I swam with last week, my breaststroke is the equivalent of treading water across the pool. :cry::dunno: Hopeless, just hopeless.

ande
October 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM
According to the coach I swam with last week, my breaststroke is the equivalent of treading water across the pool. :cry::dunno: Hopeless, just hopeless.

There may be hope
You just need to learn proper technique

ElaineK
October 14th, 2014, 01:05 PM
There may be hope
You just need to learn proper technique

Yep, that's right! Denise, one way to learn technique is to watch videos of Masters swimmers who are swimming it correctly. The reason I say "Masters" is because our older knees probably can't kick as narrow as Olympians do without a repetitive stress injury. :toohurt:In addition, our shoulders probably can't pull as wide! Check out this awesome race :applaud: by King Frog (in the black cap) when he broke the Masters World Record on the 200m Breaststroke in 2011. (By the way, he broke the record again at the World Champions this year.) :bow::

http://youtu.be/Sb0qr4BTMl0?list=PLAF415DBFA1094575

jpetyk
October 14th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Yep, that's right! Denise, one way to learn technique is to watch videos of Masters swimmers who are swimming it correctly.

Good point, Elaine! I started swimming when I was 7 years old, but it wasn't until I was in college when I watched a teammate swim breaststroke, that I finally figured it out. :blush: :doh:

Before then, it was a crap shoot whether or not I would get DQ'd in a race. In fact, a few rule changes in the 80's actually helped me out in that regard. :drown:

sunruh
October 14th, 2014, 03:55 PM
some of us are hopeless.

this morning i swam next to an olympic breaststroker and multi-time ncaa champion.

it doesnt matter how much i watch him, i cant do what he does.

and how long does it take me to swim 1 mile of breaststroke? i am hoping another 48 years to still not finish. :D

ElaineK
October 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
some of us are hopeless.

this morning i swam next to an olympic breaststroker and multi-time ncaa champion.

it doesnt matter how much i watch him, i cant do what he does.

and how long does it take me to swim 1 mile of breaststroke? i am hoping another 48 years to still not finish. :D

:bighug: It's ok, Steve, we can't all be frogs. You're PLENTY fast in everything else, so I'll give you a pass on breaststroke!;)

pwb
October 14th, 2014, 09:54 PM
It is actually impossible to swim a mile breaststroke. Everyone knows that.

There.

Thread closed.

ande
October 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM
a mile is 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards
That is 70.40 lengths of a 25 yard pool, or 35.2 50s or 17.6 100's

1 foot = 0.3048 meters so
5,280 x 0.3048 = 1,609.34

That's a lot of breastroke.

It would be much easier in a 25 yard pool than it would in a 50 meter pool or even worse, open water.
More pushoffs and pullouts would be better for me and most people.
I recommend a relaxed sustainable pace with lots gliding between strokes.
I think I could hold around 1:25 to 1:30 per 100 yards and 1:40 to 1:45 meters.

Karl_S
October 15th, 2014, 12:58 PM
a mile is 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards ...

That's a lot of breastroke.

...I think I could hold around 1:25 to 1:30 per 100 yards and 1:40 to 1:45 meters.
I was really tempted to call your bluff on that claim...

Now that I think about it more I guess it's believable for a strong swimmer. That's essentially 18x100 br on the 1:30 interval. It's way out of my league.

Debugger
October 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM
I did 3000 LCM breaststroke on Valentine's Day this year (my coach has good sense of humor)
It was 57:18 for 3000m (1500m was 28:53). I know time would be better for SCM, but... Jeff's time 36 for 3000m - that's just unbelievable! :shock: Goodness 1:18 that's my time for 100 LCM all out!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

aztimm
October 15th, 2014, 10:57 PM
It is actually impossible to swim a mile breaststroke. Everyone knows that.

There.

Thread closed.

how about we attempt to do this together? :afraid:

secondheart
October 18th, 2014, 06:09 PM
For fun I did a 28:36 for a 1650 breast stoke kick (regular board, no pulling on lane lines. only 1 accidental right arm pull, pushing the board to the side and reaching the wall with the right hand i.e. no pull with the board). I almost even split the entire 1650 this showed me that the main reason why I die in swimming is because of lack of oxygen.

swoomer
October 18th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I believe Jason Lassen actually swam the Catalina Channel all breaststroke, for a record. Now that's a whole lot of breaststroke!

geochuck
October 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
It takes too long to swim any distance using breaststroke.

TRYM_Swimmer
October 21st, 2014, 01:01 PM
On 24 August 1875, Captain Matthew Webb became the first person to swim the English Channel without the use of artificial aids. His time: 21 hours, 45 minutes; his stroke: "steady breaststroke."

Andrea Rafael
June 30th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I actually mostly swim Breaststroke - lately around 2 - 2.5 miles a day. In a 20-yard pool, my fastest 2.5 mile was in 1 hour 50 mins; my fastest 2- mile in a 25-yard pool was 91 mins (3550 yards)...

Love the garmin HRM which also records my HR during swims.

cinc3100
July 2nd, 2016, 10:15 PM
The first person to swim the English channel did breaststroke.

robertsrobson
July 6th, 2016, 06:47 AM
As a breaststroker, the idea of a swimming a mile non-stop is simply abhorrent. Short course the challenge would be one of breathing often enough. Long course would just be miserable, in every conceivable way.

ande
July 6th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Depends upon the breastroker, the pool or body of water where they swim the mile, and the percent effort they're expending.
I bet the best male breastrokers, shaved and tapered could swim a mile, 1725 yards in a 25 yard pool holding under 1:05's probably faster than 18:40, they'd be considerably slower in a 50 meter pool where 1 mile is 1,609.344 meters, my guess is the best could hold 1:16's probably 20:40, They'd be a lot slower if they did it straight in open water with no turns.

I used to be a competitive swimmer. Now I am much older, I start swimming again just for fitness and I would like to set a goal for myself. My goal is to swim 1 mile of breastroke (breastroke is my specialty) daily; it takes me 35 minutes to swim 1 mile. My question is what is the average time to swimm 1 mile of breastroke? Thanks

m2tall2
July 13th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Funny this thread popped back up. A couple weeks ago I swam a mile breaststroke open in an open water event (lake). Normally I wouldn't do such a thing but I was able to raise a considerable sum pretty quickly for Breast Cancer research by volunteering to swim the mile in my pink suit, breast, without a wetsuit (water was still kinda cool for me) if I hit my fundraising goal in two days. I did, so I swam it breast. There were no timing chips used and I took it out at a relaxed but steady pace and I finished in 33 minutes according to my watch. Currently if I was to go out for a 100 SCY, I would expect to hit around 1:23. I could have done that mile faster but not normally swimming that much consistent breast with no walls, my plan was to go out and have fun without hitting the virtual wall.

Sportygeek
July 13th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I swam a couple of open water swims breaststroke during the last Australian OW season. One was a bit shorter than a mile (1.2km), one a bit longer (1.8km). I was swimming to finish, not for a time/place, but my pace approximately equivalent to 35 min/mile. No wetsuit.

My BR sort of sucks because I can't kick for nuts.

ElaineK
July 13th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Funny this thread popped back up. A couple weeks ago I swam a mile breaststroke open in an open water event (lake). Normally I wouldn't do such a thing but I was able to raise a considerable sum pretty quickly for Breast Cancer research by volunteering to swim the mile in my pink suit, breast, without a wetsuit (water was still kinda cool for me) if I hit my fundraising goal in two days. I did, so I swam it breast. There were no timing chips used and I took it out at a relaxed but steady pace and I finished in 33 minutes according to my watch. Currently if I was to go out for a 100 SCY, I would expect to hit around 1:23. I could have done that mile faster but not normally swimming that much consistent breast with no walls, my plan was to go out and have fun without hitting the virtual wall.

That's awesome, M! Way to go!! :applaud:

adanob
August 14th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I am a newbie to swimming long distance (1st mile June 8th 2016). What I have discovered is that the breaststroke is the perfect stroke for long distance swimming. I have never raced before - but for me this is a swim not a race. Last week I swam a 5 mile ocean course using mainly the breaststroke. It took roughly three hours. I was able to jog back the distance after getting out of the water.

It feels like the breaststroke allows for better muscle recovery, my heart rate was much lower than when I swim freestlyle and it allows for better breathe capacity when the ocean waves are unpredictable.