PDA

View Full Version : IM Order

bbpolhill
October 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
A few of us around the Masters pool have been discussing the order of IM and how it affects your overall performance, stamina, etc. in the event.

The question is if you could choose any order that you like, which order would you choose and why? How do you think your times would be affected?

Has any body ever experimented and what were the results?

PS-You are not allowed to take out any of the strokes (in other words, you must still do breaststroke).

Warren
October 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Breast, fly, back, free

The underwater pullout is nice off the start. Fly second because its still early on in the race and I still got energy to hold my stroke. Back third because I want free to be last.

Jeff Commings
October 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
The order is just fine. It allows certain muscles to rest while others are being worked.

Fly and breast use the same muscle groups, so putting a stroke between them allows for those specific muscles to rest.

Free at the end uses every muscle you have, which makes the IM challenging, not the breaststroke.

bbpolhill
October 23rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Free at the end uses every muscle you have, which makes the IM challenging, not the breaststroke.

I only made the breaststroke comment because I've seen so many breaststroke haters amongst the posts.

swimmerlisa
October 23rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
I agree with Jeff, I really like the IM order. I love going out hard in fly and back, breast leg is a nice breather, and free is the best stroke to bring it home.

Sam Perry
October 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
I personally would like to see breaststroke first to get it over with. I always got killed on the bck half of IMs b/c of breastroke. By the time freestyle rolls around I lose all momentum and finish weak. Would rather start weak with breaststroke switch to free, then fly then finish strong with backstroke.

I may try it this week in practice for grins...

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Breast, fly, back, free. Nice long pullout on the start means you don't have to do much breast. Then you can get down to business with the meaningful strokes and not get killed on your second 50.

FlyQueen
October 23rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Breast to get it over with and with the dive and pullout I should have to do less actually swimming of breaststroke ... then back to give those muscles a rest ... fly and free

Breast,Back,Fly,Free ... let the flyers rise up and kick some butt.

My regular 400IM time and my 400IM reverse time I think were exactly the same in practice... but alas, I am NOT a 400IMmer ...

aquaFeisty
October 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I am with Jeff... keep the order as it is.

Butterfly first allows you to really work the SDK off the start.
Backstroke allows a nice recovery from the fly and since it is only the 2nd stroke you can still get a decent SDK off the turn.
Breast lets me catch up to the people that blasted by me on backstroke.
And then freestyle... turn the legs on and go.

I love the IM. :D Alas, I am sooo not speedy at it!!

Oh, and reading my post over, I am talking mostly about the 100, I guess...

TheGoodSmith
October 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Stick breast 1st.

geochuck
October 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Just fly and crawl, forget the rest.

swimr4life
October 24th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Fy, Breast, Back and Free! I'm a sprint flier and freestyler so putting the backstroke before the free would give me a chance to suck in some oxygen to be able to finish harder on my free. I'm usually well into oxygen debt after doing the breast pullouts and feel kind of like this icon...:dedhorse: :rofl: