PDA

View Full Version : Food Before A Meet

swimmerlisa
October 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
What do you guys find is best to eat before a swim meet?

Allen Stark
October 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
If it doesn't involve getting up too early,I'll eat a big breakfast,eggs sausage.sweet rolls or pancakes,something like that about 2 hr before warm-up. During the meet I take a bite or 2 from a balance bar every time I feel hungry and drink a lot of 50% Gatoraid.

swimmerlisa
October 25th, 2006, 11:27 AM
oh allen, that's a huge meal! i could never eat that much prior - usually only a bagel or an egg biscuit. I do drink gatorade throughout the meet.

"50%" gatorade? Does that mean you water yours down? why is that?

poolraat
October 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I've eaten just about anything I want and not experienced any bad effects. I prefer to be slightly full rather than hungry. Especially during long meets where there isn't a lot of opportunity to eat much during the meet. I ate a huge breakfast (at IHOP) last weekend about 2 hours before doing the postal 3000 and had one of my best swims ever (dropped 2 min from last year's time).

Edward The Head
October 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I've tried to eat different things over the years, the problem is my stomache hasn't been liking that much the last couple of years so I get an upset stomache sometimes. Now it's usally oatmeal, but last night I had some cream of wheat and went to the pool and felt good so I might switch to that.

The Fortress
October 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I'm with Allen. If the meet's not too early, I'm having some combination of pancakes (if my husband makes them), eggs, toast with peanut butter and honey and/or a banana. During the meet, I'm sipping 50% accelerade. I'll also bring a Luna bar, strawberries or a banana to nibble on if it's a multi-hour meet. And, don't forget, coffee before the sprints. :coffee:

If the meet is at the crack of dawn, I'm probably not attending. If I have to because it's a big meet, I'm eating an energy bar and banana in the car as I'm complaining about early risers and "morning people." :shakeshead:

quicksilver
October 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Between the time I wake up, and then get to the meet...usually two hours will have passed. This gives me time for for a fairly decent breakfast which might be something along the lines of a turkey sandwich.

I shy away from sugar...especially a pancake breakfast which gives an initial boost...and then leaves me feeling drained when the sugar high wears off. A protein based breakfast staves off hunger pangs and offers a good source of energy.

After each race, my recovery beverage is chocalate soy milk. It's lactose free...and the sugar goes right back into the muscles and liver. Gatorade is good...but too much and you'll be visiting the locker rooms every 20 minutes or so.

http://www.webarticles.com/Health/Fitness/Chocolate-Milk-better-than-Gatorade-for-Post-Exercise-Recovery%3F

The Fortress
October 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Quicksilver:

I'll check out that link. But pancakes aren't loaded with sugar if you make them right. And they are easily digestible, which is a good pre-race thing. Endurox is a good recovery drink too.

geochuck
October 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Eat whatever tastes good and do not upset the tummy. You name it I have eaten it. I am a bacon and eggs guy but have eaten steaks etc no greens for breakfast they give me trouble, although left over Pizza was great with all the trimmings. Even Anchovies they made me swim like a fish.

born2fly
October 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Morning of the meet I will have 4 scrambled eggs with cheese and jalepenos in it, 2 pieces of toast with jelly, few stips of bacon and a glass of oj and chocolate milk. The evening before meet I will load up with pasta and red sauce (not da wine!) During meet I nibble on fruit and power bars washed down with plenty of water.

The Fortress
October 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Greg:

I like eggs in the am before a meet too, but it seems like I read that protein doesn't digest quickly. Should we really be eating all those eggs? My daughter's swim coach also told her that she should eat a lot of pasta a few days before the meet but not the night before. This nutrition stuff changes so quickly. Pretty soon they'll start saying that coffee is bad again...

Allen Stark
October 25th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I use 50% gatoraide(1/2 gatoraide,1/2 water ) as gatoraide alone is too concentrated for me and upsets my stomach. At World Masters Games in 1985 in Toronto I bought a Whopper and fries on the way to the pool. That didn't agree with me and at the 100 M point of the 200 M Br I was sure I was going to throw up. The only reason I didn't stop at that point was I was ahead of guys I had never been ahead of before. I ended up with my best time ever. I have no explanation for that and I don't recommend Whoppers before swimming.

FlyQueen
October 25th, 2006, 07:03 PM
All I can handle is a power bar on the way to a meet and watered down Gatorade ... long meets suck but that is all I can eat or else blech

Muppet
October 25th, 2006, 11:31 PM
A wise man once sent me a list of do's and dont's for the 4.4 Mile Chesapeake Bay Swim. Regarding dinner the night before and the breakfast, it was "Eat something you have eaten 100x or more without incident."

I generally keep the food pretty simple, ie bagel, dry cereal, etc... power bars and other granola/snack/breakfast-type bars (and the occasional plain ham sandwich) during the meet... just enough to keep me from starving and provide some energy, and not so much it feels like I ate and exercised with bad timing...

i don't do bananas at all :banana:

Muppet
October 25th, 2006, 11:39 PM
My daughter's swim coach also told her that she should eat a lot of pasta a few days before the meet but not the night before.

O Fortified One, your daughter's coach is correct - the carb-loading is most effective up to, but not after, the 18-24 hour mark before the meet (i hear varying numbers there)... apparently the digestion system needs some time to best break down and process the carbs, and for whatever reason, it takes a while.

That being said, its probably not a good idea to go :banana: :banana: (bananas) by driving up to Philly for a Pat's cheesesteak the night before...

quicksilver
October 26th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Quicksilver:

I'll check out that link. But pancakes aren't loaded with sugar if you make them right. And they are easily digestible, which is a good pre-race thing. Endurox is a good recovery drink too.

You're right about this. (unless they're covered in maple syrup) Too much sugar in the am just doesn't agree with me.

Haven't tried the Endurox yet...but the triathletes at the pool grab those bike bottles at every lull inbetween the sets. It looks like a home brewed drink....I think.

Leonard Jansen
October 26th, 2006, 08:53 AM
My stomach gets upset easily, so lighter is better. A trick that a friend taught me is to eat a protein bar (not an energy bar) about 2 hours before a swim. It seems to give me time to digest it and it keeps blood sugar levels fairly even. I then take 12 Oz of Accelerade 10 minutes before race start. For races of 2 hours or less, you generally have enough glycogen to not need much breakfast and for longer races, you usually are getting feedings from your boat, so it's still a non-issue.

-LBJ

The Fortress
October 26th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Quicksilver:

Endurox (after exercise) and Accelerade (before and during) are powders that you mix with water. You can find them at a GNC store or any bike shop. Those triathletes you see are probably drinking a 50/50 combo of accelerade and water during practice. You get the same effect with a gel and some water. They all have that 4:1 carb to protein ratio that is supposed to be so good.

P.S. I never put maple syrup on my pancakes. I just eat them as is.

geochuck
October 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Keep it simple, eat a well balanced portion of food.

Some complex carbs, a little sugar (Carbs) toast read the labels on the bread.
Fat I like butter the body is used to it.

Some protien an egg or 2 I now like them poached.

Bacon has fat and protien.

Have you ever had stomach pains while swimming, I have, even after taking the super drinks. I have even during a race and seen my favorite meal on the side of a boat, Bacon and eggs with home fries.

The Fortress
October 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have seen people at meets gulping down these little bottles with the label "5 hour energy" drinks. They apparently have lots of amino acids, L-carnitine and other stuff. Does anyone think that really helps pre-race?

quicksilver
October 27th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks Alison. I don't really drink during workouts. But I might look into that for a recovery formula.

And George...this is something only an open water swimmer could get away with.

I can just hear the meet anouncer..."Alright. We got a bacon and egg spill in Lane Four. Someone get the net." :eek:

Muppet
October 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I have seen people at meets gulping down these little bottles with the label "5 hour energy" drinks. They apparently have lots of amino acids, L-carnitine and other stuff. Does anyone think that really helps pre-race?

Its all in their head. If they race w/o it, they will feel like they're missing their mojo. I used to use Sobe Adreneline Rush and Red Bull - it gave me wings. After swimming a couple rinkydink meets w/o use of the bulletcans, I came to the realization that if I wasn't prepared to swim well, I didn't deserve any artifical help, and if I truly was prepared to swim well, I would do just fine w/o.

islandsox
October 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM
Wow, this thread just goes to prove that all of us are so different in what our bodies use to best perform.

My rule of thumb is: never to add something before a meet or long swim that I have not gotten accustomed to the year prior. My body revolts if I try to add something unusual, like Gu, etc. My heart rate went off the charts (not a good thing).

Additionally, is carbo loading truly a benefit for 4 or 5 events in a swim meet? I kinda just eat the same type of things but add more fluids to replace electrolytes. Oh, I will eat MORE of those foods, but I never experiment and add something I haven't tried out.

Before a very long ocean swim, I plan on changing my eating plan way in advance so my body can get accustomed to the changes.

For me (and only me), I do best on protein for sustained long-term energy. But to thwart off feet and leg cramps (lack of sodium), bananas are a miracle fruit!!!

I have seen many swimmers who are going to do a one mile swim carbo load to excess. The day of the swim, they feel like X!)??X !

Common Sense!!!

ShinobDood
November 1st, 2006, 03:31 PM
In the morning...get a couple doughnuts and coffee from the snack bar.
After warmup and during the first few events... throw in some salty popcorn and a coke. Towards midday git a hamburger with cheese and another coke. That'll get ya goin..

swimmerlisa
November 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM
In the morning...get a couple doughnuts and coffee from the snack bar.
After warmup and during the first few events... throw in some salty popcorn and a coke. Towards midday git a hamburger with cheese and another coke. That'll get ya goin..

omg i could never eat like that the day of a meet. (well, never a hamburger, i'm a veggie)....my stomach is turning just thinking of trying to consume doughnuts and coke before racing....bleh

geochuck
November 2nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
Not food before a meet. We just had lunch potato, corn, carrots, broccolli, onions, pasta shells, red peppers, grape tomatoes and some moose sausage, The moose was shot by a neighbour. I love moose sausage.

The meal had lots of carbs a little fat and some protein. Waiting for tonight Moose Steak.

chickadee
November 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Early in morning of meet day, egg mcmuffin and oj. During the meets drinking gatorade and water, and nibbling on fig newtons. We have a teammate that just munches through the snack table, if it is on the table she is eating it, and she swims very well. We all get nausea watching her eat one more brownie or one more doughnut. Our favorite after meet eats is diner food in NJ. The best omelets and honkin cinnamon rolls to die for.