PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone cast their vote for the Golden Goggles Award?

The Fortress
October 26th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Who should win?

Go to www.usaswimming.org/GoldenGogglesAwards/ (http://www.usaswimming.org/GoldenGogglesAwards/)

I had to vote for my neighborhood kids, Chloe Sutton and Kate Zeigler. But I think Whitney Myers (200IM) and Brendan Hansen (breast) had the best performances of the year.

swimmerlisa
October 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I sure cast mine! I had to vote for Greg Troy, previous coach and good man. :-)

newmastersswimmer
October 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I just voted. I voted for Cullen as the male breakoout swimmer of the year.....I voted for Phelps (200 IM) as the best male performance,....I voted for Natalie Coughlin as best female swimmer of the year (I had no idea she was that hot looking!)....I voted for the mens 400 free relay as the best relay (although the mens 800 free relay was also very impressive....and so was the other nominees of course...don't get me wrong)....I can't really remember the rest...Oh yeah....I vited for Katie Ziegler as best female performance of the year for breaking 16 minutes in the 1500 (WOW!!).

Newmastersswimmer

P.s. I am also voting for Rich Seager as best male performance in Masters swimming last year for his 1:55 flat in the 200 meter free at worlds last August in the 40-44 year old agegroup.....That time is simply blistering for someone over the age of 40!....Dennis Baker's 200 meter fly at 2:06 something has to be right up there though in the 45 - 49 year old agegroup.....I guess I picked Rich over Dennis only b/c I've become accustomed to the fact that Dennis is not from this world already ....and so his times don't even register in my brain anymore. We need awards like these in Masters swimming. Do we have already have awards like these in USMS??

geochuck
October 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I cast my vote for BlackDove he is still trying his best to be able to swim front crawl smoothly. http://isjaw.blogspot.com/2006/02/my-evolving-freestyle.html

Frank Thompson
October 26th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Has anyone here who reads these forums ever gone to the Golden Goggles banquet? I believe they can go for a $500 price tag or something like that. They get all sorts of famous people both in and out of swimming that go to this. I wonder if they have ever sold this out? This is like the Emmys or Academy Awards for USA swimming.

About the closest thing that Masters has to this is Swimming World/Swim Magazine Masters Swimmers of the Year in which they pick 10 swimmers from around the World with the best swimming performances judged by a panel of masters swimming experts from around the world. As far as USMS goes, I don't think we do this with our magazine or with the organization. However, every year we have been awarded a USMS masters swimmer in the International Swimming Hall of Fame as inductees as Masters swimmers. This year at the convention, there was a special applause for people that have been inducted in the past in the House of Delegates session.

We have a dinner banquet every year that honors the swimmers being inducted at the ISHOF or for this year it was at Stanford University during the World Meet.

The Fortress
October 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
USMS does have the "All American" and "All Star" recognition for those achieving the most Top 10 times and first place Top 10 times. That's not so bad.

P.S. Newmastersswimmer: If you think Natalie Coughlin is hot, you should see some of Amanda Beard's modeling work!

Seagurl51
October 26th, 2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Frank Thompson;65906]Has anyone here who reads these forums ever gone to the Golden Goggles banquet? I believe they can go for a $500 price tag or something like that. They get all sorts of famous people both in and out of swimming that go to this. I wonder if they have ever sold this out? This is like the Emmys or Academy Awards for USA swimming.
[QUOTE]

I think last year the tickets were $1,000 a piece....otherwise I totally would have gone.

I think I remeber hearing somewhere that they sold out last year, but I could be wrong.

p.s. I'm willing to accept donations for a ticket if anybody wants me to go. I'll be sure to send pictures and write a detailed account. ;) I guess I can take one for the team and schmooze with Michael Phelps.

scyfreestyler
October 26th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I guess I can take one for the team and schmooze with Michael Phelps.

Aww! What a selfless thing to do for all of us! ;) How can we ever repay you?

I cast some votes for Phelps, Hansen, Vendt, Coughlin, and Myers. If need be I can go schmooze with Myers and Coughlin. :cool:

Seagurl51
October 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=scyfreestyler]Aww! What a selfless thing to do for all of us! ;) How can we ever repay you?
[QUOTE]

Because I'm such a selfless person, I'll do it for free. It's just the way I am.:groovy:

Is anybody going to sign up for the text up-dates?

FlyQueen
October 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I found a lot of the categories were SO HARD to decide. How is one WR better or more deserving than another? I think people forget how great of a breakout year Chloe Sutton has had. I have several times and I think I vote differently every time ... it'll be interesting to see how it all turns out ...

Peter Cruise
October 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I think if we were to have a Masters version of this event, we should call it the "Foggy Goggles" awards...

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I think if we were to have a Masters version of this event, we should call it the "Foggy Goggles" awards...

Don't get me started....don't even get me started. :D

The Fortress
October 27th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Man, you never know what sparks controversy on this website .... What is wrong with "Foggy Goggles" or "late bloomin" or stuff like that?!

P.S. HHowland: I did vote for Chloe Sutton for female breakout performance. She is awesome and not just in distance events either. Ray Benecki actually had to get one of his assistant coaches to research open water swimming and learn to row so that she could do her open water training.

Frank Thompson
October 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Seagurl51:

You are right the tickets go for $1,000.00 and $8,000.00 per table. In 2005, you could sign up for the lottery and try to win for the ticket price of $500. 00 and that is what I remember about it.

http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=349&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=533&ItemId=1811

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Man, you never know what sparks controversy on this website .... What is wrong with "Foggy Goggles" or "late bloomin" or stuff like that?!

That was just a joke, meaning don't get me started about foggy goggles. It seems that regardless of what I do to them, my goggles always fog up after 20-30 minutes in the water.

Now "Late Bloomin", that is another story alltogether!

The Fortress
October 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Clearly, it is a big story. I'm going to have to search the old threads to see what the fuss is about. Isn't it good to be a late bloomer? How could it be bad or controversial. But wait, I better stop now because I think someone mentioned the death penalty on this topic!

My goggles are constantly fogged too. Or leaking. I just require them to stay on when I go off the block.

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Good luck searching...I think some of the more interesting content may have been removed from the website. I don't know about capital punishment but I was "behind bars" for a bit!

The Fortress
October 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Ok, I found the lovely thread with that Beza dude. It was much nastier than the freestyle stroke thread. It's too bad though that late bloomers got a bad name because of him. Everyone should be encouraged to swim no matter what their age.

geochuck
October 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Beza Dude I don't know whether we should bring up his name.

FlyQueen
October 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM
We most definitely should NOT ...

The Fortress
October 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Nope. That was quite apparent from the thread.

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I may have to go back and look at that thread just for old times sake. I remember that thread like it was....well, a year ago.

bbpolhill
October 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I find it odd that Ryan Lochte, who arguably might be the second best all around swimmer in the world, was no where to be found in the awards. He is at least honorable mention in Male Swimmer of the Year.

geochuck
October 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I may have to go back and look at that thread just for old times sake. I remember that thread like it was....well, a year ago.
It is fine to go back and have a look but we should not get in a great debate about Beza because he is not here to protect himself.

swimmerlisa
October 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I find it odd that Ryan Lochte, who arguably might be the second best all around swimmer in the world, was no where to be found in the awards. He is at least honorable mention in Male Swimmer of the Year.

i'll second that!! he deserves an award for his hard work and all around talent. he's a great swimmer and a good guy. and he's SO FAST.

GO GATORS!! :D

scyfreestyler
October 27th, 2006, 07:55 PM
It is fine to go back and have a look but we should not get in a great debate about Beza because he is not here to protect himself.

Don't worry about that George, I am not interested in another suspension!

Frank Thompson
October 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I think the reason Ryan Lochte is not on the ballot is because he did not meet the nomination committee critera of performances or they only took the top male performances and top male performers of the year and ranked the top 4 for there ballot for people to vote for.

This is my no measure to believe that Ryan Lochte did not have an outstanding year. With 3 World Records and 7 American Records that he set during the year at the NCAA Championships and Short Course World Championships will attest to that. However he did not set any Long Course Records and did not win any events at the Pan Pacific Championships and I think that is why he is not on the ballot because the three other people did win 2 or more events and two of those people set 2 World Records in the process and the other swimmer set one World Record.

Not taking away Ryan's efforts, but I believe and always have believed that USA Swimming places more emphasis on Long Course International competitions than Short Course competitions. The meet that Ryan did in China was just not as important in the nominating process for the awards as the Pan Pacific Championships. That is the international meet of the year as far as USA Swimming is concerned. Just like next year the 2007 World Championships in Australia will be the meet of the year. Now if Ryan wins multiple events against two of the 3 guys on the ballot this year at that meet, he will definately be on the ballot for next year.

I don't think they take into considertion the NCAA Championships in there critera and if they do its minor and secondary. If you go to the ballot page on the nominees, the event they talk about with all of the swimmers nominated is the Pan Pac meet and how well the swimmer did at that meet with wins and records. A secondary meet that has minor consideration is the Nationals. Because he did not win an individual event at either of these meets, its tough to put him on the ballot over the others.

However, he was awarded for his efforts as being named the 2006 NCAA Swimmer of the Year in which he rightly deserves.

knelson
October 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM
The proper link is http://www.usaswimming.org/GoldenGoggleAwards/

The Fortress
November 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM
As you may know, the awards are in:

Male Athlete of the Year: Brendan Hansen
Female Athlete of the Year: Katie Hoff
Male Performance: Michael Phelps' 200 IM at PanPacs
Female Performance: Whitney Myers' 200 IM at PanPacs
Relay Performance: Men's 400 Free Relay at PanPacs
Coach of the year: Bowman
Perseverance Award: Eric Vendt
Breakout Performance: Cullen Jones

You can read more on swiminfo.com

Peter Cruise
November 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Seeing those performances live at Panpacs gave me a big lift in a difficult year.