PDA

View Full Version : donating blood

Warren
November 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Is donating blood going to mess up my traning? What negative effects will it have?

geochuck
November 3rd, 2006, 01:50 AM
Short term two to seven days of easy work no harm done.

http://www.devinesports.com/Article.7+M55dac229b17.0.html?&cHash=bb86d54d5a

SolarEnergy
November 3rd, 2006, 07:13 AM
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11472&highlight=blood

Note : JetStream is a doctor.

swimr4life
November 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
When I was a teenager I thought I was invincible! I gave blood at my high school then went to an intense 2 hour practice. What an idiot! :shakeshead: I got extremely dizzy and felt terrible. I stopped and sat on the side of the pool and I almost blacked out!! I also caught the flu a few days later! DUH! Definitely take it easy for a few days after you give blood. It is well worth it though because you are helping save lives.

geochuck
November 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Race horse trainers used to bleed their horses. I have not been in the horse business for 30 years, I don't know whether they still do it. With all the supplements and drugs they gave the horses their blood would become very thick and barely flow so they would bleed them. This usually happened after they claimed a horse. They would then jog them very easily for a a couple of weeks.

Edward The Head
November 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
I give blood everytime they come around to work. I've found that for a couple of days, two or three, you really will not be able to do what you normally do. I just gave a couple of weeks ago and did a practice the next day. I could tell, but it wasn't the worst practice I've ever had. I also gave blood once and did a meet two days later, that's not a good idea, I had a pretty bad 1500 time.

So if you're not going to have a meet give blood and practice the next day.

scyfreestyler
November 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hmm. I gave blood for a full blood workup and the next thing I knew I was on the ground with nurses hovering over me asking me if I was allright. Granted, I had to fast from the evening before and I am tall and thin...but blood donation is not my forte.

The Fortress
November 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Women who are anemic or slightly anemic or overly slender should not be doing this unless they are very altruistic.