PDA

View Full Version : Free style competition-can use stroke other than crawl?

Gil
November 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I hope to be able to swim at the Nationals at Mount Hood , Oregon. I have been told by several medical professionals that I have an unfixable supraspinitus. Therefore, I cannot swim the crawl stroke. Some questions.1. In freestyle event can a stroke other than crawl be used? 2. I probably would be doing the side stroke, would I be laughed out of the pool? 3. Is there any data about side stroke times that are decent for different lengths? 4. I am 80 years old and it has been a dream to compete in one national , is what I am considering ridiculous? Any and all comments are appreciated.

Gil

geochuck
November 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Freestyle use any stroke you want and no one is going to laugh. If I am there and anyone laughed they would not like what I would say to them.

Do it.

tjburk
November 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I will second what Geochuck says on that one!!!! Would love to have you compete at Nationals!

islandsox
November 5th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Gene,

I think it is magnificent that you are actively swimming into your 80s. You go to show that a dream can be obtained at any time in life, and yours is the Mt. Hood Nationals. I had a very good swim at thost particular nationals in 1995.

Swim any stroke you choose and I would bet that many people may even applaud your efforts. I know I would be one of those people cheering and clapping. You are a fine example to the younger set.

I remember Ray and Zada Taft of San Mateo for they were the founders of the San Mateo Masters Marlins and also had a private swim school. They swam well past their 80s and every time I saw them going off the starting blocks, I thought of my sedentary parents who were only in their 70s at that time. And, when us 40ish people were complaining about the hard sets that Coach Bill Stewart gave us, they just happily plugged on.

And as far as anyone laughing, I get laughed at all time here where I live when I swim in the one mile ocean swim because I am a "large" person but kick butt along the way. No laughter from those folks afterwards, just many questions such as "how do you do that?"

Let us know how your "dream experience" goes with those nationals.

Best of luck to you,

Donna

The Fortress
November 5th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Everytime Mary Walker of DC Masters walks on the pool deck or finishes a race, she get resounding cheers. Got for it!!

Edward The Head
November 5th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I am 80 years old and it has been a dream to compete in one national , is what I am considering ridiculous? Any and all comments are appreciated.

Gil

Ha, half of us are hoping to make it to 80. The other half are hoping we can still swim at 80.

geochuck
November 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
7 more years for me in the lower age groups.

Allen Stark
November 5th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Freestyle is free,anything goes(except you can't swim more than 15M underwater on starts and turns.) There will be 3 other Nationals before Mt. Hood,would you like to come to one of those also.