PDA

View Full Version : top 5 swimmers

Warren
November 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
If you had to rank americas top 5 male swimmers, who would they be and why?

1. phelps-worlds best in 3 events
2. ian crocker- I belive 50.4 in the 100 fly is the most impressive time ever in any event
3. peirsol-is the best in the 100 and 200 back, and its impressive because usa has alot of depth in the backstroke.
4. hansen- breaststroking machine
5. lochte

top 5 in the world

1. phelps
2. hacket
3. croker
4. schoeman
5. thorpe

how would you rank usa and the world?

geochuck
November 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Top 5 can change in the next swim meet but the USA rates pretty good at the moment.

FlyQueen
November 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I'd replace Lezak with Lochte

What about women?
Hoff
Coughlin
??

Warren
November 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM
yeah, I thought about putting lochte as number 5. you are probable right

I dont know how to rank the women, so I didnt do it.

Frank Thompson
November 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Warren:

In nexts month issue of Swimming World, they will be picking the Male and Female World Swimmers of the Year. I am going to give you my prediction of who the winners will be based on past critera of past winners selected.

For Male World Swimmer of the Year, I believe it will be Brendan Hansen followed closely by Michael Phelps. For the Women, it will be Leisel Jones followed closed by Laure Manaudou.

For the World's best performamce for both Male and Female Swimmers of the Year you would have the same 4 candidates above plus Jessica Schipper performance in the 200 Fly from Pan Pacs.

Allen Stark
November 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I agree Lochte over Lezak.
World: Thorpe,Phelps,Hackett,Hansen,Peirsol.
Women:Hoff,Coughlin,Beard,Sandeno,Weir
Women World:Jones,Hoff,Manaudou,Schipper,and I can't remember her name,but the German woman who just broke the 100 Fr record.

The Fortress
November 6th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Allen: You're leaving Kate Zeigler off the current US women list and leaving in Amanda Beard who hasn't done that much since Athens?

Shadowvcd
November 6th, 2006, 04:30 PM
1. Charlie Salie - Captain of OSU swim team in the 30's. Just missed qualifying for the olympics. All around nice guy, willing to critique my stroke. Was a member of my masters team until he was 85. Now 93 or so.

2. Lenore Kight Wingard - 1932 and 1936 Olympian and another member of my masters team. Passed away about 6 years ago. She gave me the opportunity to brag that I swam with a 1932 Olympian.

3. Mark Spitz - He was the one...when I was a kid.

4. Anyone swimming with me in my lane, cause they are the ones pushing me to make me better.

5. Saving this spot for the people who help me the most from these forums.

Since I'm not up on the current swimmers, these are the people who rank in my book.

swimmerlisa
November 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Men: Phelps, Thorpe, Lochte, Hansen, Peirsol and added bonus of Gary Hall JR because he is training for the next Olympics (is that his 4th?) and I just saw him swim last weekend, he is amazing.

Women: Coughlin, Sandeno, Weir, Hoff, Beard (even though she "hasn't done much" she is in training for the next Olympics and has won 7 olympic medals).

The Fortress
November 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
SwimmerLisa:

Amand Beard is amazing and her lovely image graces my house. Her 7 medals are truly extraordinary. I hope she can come back and challenge Kirk, Hardy and Jendrick. But, right now, is she really better than Kate Zeigler who won gold at PanPacs and recently broke one of Jane Evans' long standing records?

And what about Chloe Sutton and Chip Peterson, our best hope for golds in the open water?

The Fortress
November 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
4. Anyone swimming with me in my lane, cause they are the ones pushing me to make me better.

Too true!!:agree:

scyfreestyler
November 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Is Thorpe still a swimming superpower? Didn't Hackett upset one of Thorpe's records last year? Is Thorpe in any shape to be defending his old records? And Schoeman, didn't Cullen Jones take him to school at the Pan Pacs?

Warren
November 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Is Thorpe still a swimming superpower? Didn't Hackett upset one of Thorpe's records last year? Is Thorpe in any shape to be defending his old records? And Schoeman, didn't Cullen Jones take him to school at the Pan Pacs?

yeah but schoeman broke the world record in the 50scm free at 20.98 this year. He went 21.69 last year in montreal and also broke the 50 fly record. 48.17 100 free.

I ranked them based on what they have done from athens to right now.

scyfreestyler
November 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM
yeah but schoeman broke the world record in the 50scm free at 20.98 this year. He went 21.69 last year in montreal and also broke the 50 fly record. 48.17 100 free.

I ranked them based on what they have done from athens to right now.

Understood. With so many swimmers breaking so many records on such a regular basis it becomes rather difficult to rank a top 5 I guess.