PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the magazine?

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Now that we've had our magazine for several issues, I'm wondering if most people like it? Now instead of reading about half of one magazine, I read about 40 to 455 of two magazines. I really couldn't tell you which of the two I read I like the best or even who/what was on the cover of the two recent issues.

meldyck
November 5th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I haven't found the last few issues very interesting. By contrast, the first couple were interesting. Now, I just skim them from cover to cover & toss them onto the recycling pile.

-- mel

nkace
November 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Are we talking Swimmer here? I like it alot. I read every issue cover to cover.

poolraat
November 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Are we talking Swimmer here? I like it alot. I read every issue cover to cover.
I also read every issue cover to cover. My only complaint is that it only takes me an hour or so.

Rob Copeland
January 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I love USMS Swimmer!!! Especially the Executive Address.;)

Howard
January 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Lets suppose you were a member of USMS last year and like the magazine but this year you decided not to renew for whatever reason. Do you think the magazine has enough value to pay for it on its own?

carlsaxton
January 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
How about this question instead...how many subscriptions are out there for USMS Swimmer for individuals that not a registered USMS member? Anyone?

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I just got my next issue yesterday. It is the first of the new one that I really thought was interesting. I read almost all of it.

Here is another thing. Does anyone read rowing magazine? It is more glossy. I tend to read all of the articles in it. If you do what do you think about the difference in look and advertizing?

mattson
January 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
It is more glossy.

Sometimes glossy can be annoying.

Swimmer Bill
January 31st, 2007, 05:51 PM
Now that we've had our magazine for several issues, I'm wondering if most people like it? Now instead of reading about half of one magazine, I read about 40 to 455 of two magazines. I really couldn't tell you which of the two I read I like the best or even who/what was on the cover of the two recent issues.

Hi Craig,

We had similar questions and did a survey of our members last year to find out. The survey team was capably led by Tom Boyd, a marketing expert, newly appointed Chair of the USMS Marketing Committee and Masters swimmer from Long Beach, Calif. Survey results are posted here on the USMS web site:

http://www.usms.org/admin/surveys/

Bill

BillS
January 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
I thought Hydration Laid Bare by Jim Thornton in the current issue was very well done. Good investigation and debunking of a "rule" that appears on close inspection to be wholly arbitrary.

Shirlia Child
July 29th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Has anyone thought to do reviews of new gear,possibly something that would be of interest to all swimmers?

Bill Volckening
July 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Has anyone thought to do reviews of new gear,possibly something that would be of interest to all swimmers?

I got a kick out of this question because we do review new products in the magazine. We try to include individual product reviews in our departments, such as "Gadget Watch" in the Training and Technique department (e.g.: Jan./Feb '07, pg 12; March/April '07, pg 11; May/June '07, pg 13, etc.).

We also have a Swim Bag department in every issue (pp. 42-44 in the July/August 2007 issue). In this department, products are grouped by product type, and manufacturers are offered the opportunity to provide information about their latest products.

We also try to review books and videos periodically, and do our best to select items that would appeal to a broad range of swimmers. If there is a specific product you would like us to consider for a review, please contact me at: editor@usms.org

Cheers!
Bill