PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Luck?

Aimster
November 5th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Hi
I just swam a meet, my first one since Nationals last May. My time for the 50 free was off by almost 2 seconds and I lost some steam too (in other words it felt hard). Are the first few meets just beginners luck when there is little fear or knowledge involved?

At the same time I've really been working hard at improving freestyle technique, and feel like I've gotten better meaning I've moved up a lane. So I think it's strange that my 50 sprint time hasn't improved at all.

I should also say that I'm 30-years-old fairly new to competing. I've swum my whole life but didn't get seriously into masters and competing until a year and a half ago.

Thanks

The Fortress
November 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Did you rest for the meet Aimster? It may just be that you've been training hard and that accounts for the slower time. Sprinters tend to drop time with a taper, at least I've found. If you've been putting in a lot of yardage, you might try some longer events.

As another newbie, though, I think that you can have some "beginners luck." And since you don't know who the heck you're racing, there is no idolatry of rival competitors that gets in the way. But you can also make whopping mistakes as a newbie. I wouldn't get too discouraged about one race. How were your other swims?

islandsox
November 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Amy,

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. One thing that was missing from your information was: have you been training regularly and hard since the Nationals last May? If not, then that is probably where your 2 seconds went. If you have, then it is either (as someone already suggested), your body is overworked and you didn't taper (rest it) before this last meet, OR, we just sometimes have off days.

I have plenty of those in competitions for no apparant reason; I just could not deliver the times I wanted.

I've never had beginner's luck when it comes to turning in good swim times. Mine came only from hard work, proper nutrition, proper tapering, and desire. I think I will emphasize the word desire.

Keep up the good work and you'll reclaim those 2 seconds because if you did it once, it's still where it was but just dormant right now!!!

Donna

globuggie
November 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
One other thing - you may be too focused on endurance and not focused enough on sprinting. It sounds like your time for a 200 free would probably be faster since you've moved up a lane, but a 50 is really an all-out sprint. Also, 50's are generally harder to improve than longer events, just because they're so short. Don't get too discouraged because of one bad race!