PDA

View Full Version : Ladies ... does size matter?

TacJag
November 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
No .. not that!!:laugh2:

My wife is originally from the Philippines, and is not very tall. About 5 foot. She currently weighs a bit over 150. She's decided to loose some pounds, lose some inches, and get in better shape. She learned to swim a long time ago, but nothing competitive.

She's 38 now, and believes that she's too old to even think about competing. She's learning to swim better, and has been reading and watching some of the TI style instructional pieces. She's steadily improving, but has a way to go.

She's actually a pretty good breast stroker, but so far has refused my attempts to time her.

She's convinced she's too short to be competitive ... thus my question!! Is that a problem?

If not, I'll continue to try to motivate her to consider it someday. She's a very competitive person by her nature ... except that she only likes to WIN ... not come in second!! (1st in her high school, 1st in college [accountancy], she passed the CPA exam on her 1st attempt, etc. She's now an AVP at a big bank in Seattle and manages the accounting of their investment portfolio. She's going after her CFA right now as well.)

Needless to say, I consider myself a VERY lucky person to have her in my life!!

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!

Ken

dorothyrde
November 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Tell her to world record holder Nadine. She is short.

MichiganHusker
November 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Janet Evans is shorter than most swimmers - it never bothered her.

Donna
November 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Ken,

Tell her it really does not matter how she stacks up against other people at this point. It all about bettering your own times and doing your best (unless of course your really really fast), but for the average Joe trying to get back into swimming (or just starting out) its all about doing your best.

Some of us carry alot more weight (some 25 lbs) than when we used to swim some 20 years ago. In my case I don't compare myself to my kid times or I would get depressed, but as long as I get atleast 1 best time per meet I feel satisfied. And lately I have been blessed with many best times per meet. :wiggle:

How can you see if you are improving if you don't know where you are starting from, that is why I typically encourage newbies to get an idea of where they are by doing a timed swim, then they can test themselves to see if they have improved.

Donna :agree:

laineybug
November 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM
If she doesn't want to compete... geeze, NO means NO. It doesn't matter whether or not she is a competitive person by nature, she has said she doesn't want to compete. Don't try to change her mind.

First, and most importantly, because she states she doesn't want to compete. But, if she competes because you talk her into it and she doesn't win, or finds it an unpleasant experience FOR HER, then guess who she is going to be angry with?

Leave her alone, as she gets better she might change her mind on her own.

Lainey

TacJag
November 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Lainey

There are no problems; she's not "anti-racing" ... she just thought her size would prevent her from even considering the possibility.

Everyone ... thanks. She had a look at this thread and said "hmmm" ... when she improves the basics it might be something "fun" to do.

Cheers!!

Ken

swimmieAvsFan
November 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
ken,

maybe you should invite her along to your next meet- not to compete, but to just watch (and maybe cheer for you too :) ) she's bound to see tall, short, skinny, not-so-skinny, old, young, lifetime swimmers, "late bloomers" all at the meet. maybe that would be enough to encourage her to at least try a meet, and that her height and age don't matter. and if that's not enough, maybe when she sees the social side of meets, she'll think competing is too much fun to avoid!

plus, it's always nice to have a cheering section too :applaud:

quicksilver
November 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
She's convinced she's too short to be competitive ... thus my question!! Is that a problem?

Janet Evans is the perfect example...defying all logic which states that short will not equal fast.

She dominated in the "long axis" stroke (distance free) for many years and her time standards set back in the 80's were only recently lowered.

sdswimmer
November 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM
how about Rendy Lyn Opdyke she must be a tad over 5' and beat the men and relays in the race around manhatten this year (and dominates a lot of marathon swims). Maybe short = faster?

Eveem
November 13th, 2006, 10:04 AM
My daughter is 5'6" at 10 years old and has a natural talent when it comes to swimming. It irritates us though when people comment she wins because she is tall for her age. First and foremost, she really has beautiful strokes and glides through the water.