PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in Chicago

gull
November 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'll be in Chicago next week for a conference. I'm staying downtown on Michigan Ave. Anyone have suggestions on where to train nearby (preferably in the early am?). Thanks.

Fritz
November 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM
There's a lake around the corner.

gull
November 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
There's a lake around the corner.

Big enough to swim in?

thewookiee
November 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Gull,

I was in Chicago last week. There are two pretty good options. There two master's team that trains at University of Illnois at Chicago. One practices in the morning 5:30-7:30. The coach is Paul Molinar(sp?) He is the head coach of the UIC swim teams. Really nice guy and very accomdating. They also have a practice from 5-7 in the evenings. That one is a bit less formal.

Also, there is the Chicago Blue Dolphins(www.chicagobluedolphins.com) I believe that is the website. The coach is John Fitzpatrick. He is a really good guy too. In fact, he was voted Chicago swim coach of the year, this year.

They practice at UIC in the evenings 7:30-9pm a couple of nights and at the Moody Bible Instuite in the mornings on Mon-Wed-Fri. 6-7 or 7-8(or do both if you want)

Don't know where you are staying on Michigan but UIC isn't too far by cab and Moody isn't far off the Brown line on the "L"

There are probably others but those are the two I know best.

John

gull
November 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks, John.

Muppet
January 17th, 2007, 12:36 PM
For those working out by O'Hare, I practiced with the team at the Wellness Center last night. Great workout, very friendly people, and of course, the FlyQueen graced us all with some of her fabulous breaststroke. :notworthy:

FlyQueen
January 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM
How sad that you didn't get to witness any of my breaststroke ... I have to move down two lanes for that one ...

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM
How sad that you didn't get to witness any of my breaststroke ... I have to move down two lanes for that one ...

FlyQueen you're always in my top lane...;)