PDA

View Full Version : Swim Recipes

lapswimmr
November 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
How about some good favorite swim recipes like a "swim breakfast" or a good "low fat" or just "cheap" to make recipe for a family or your favorite "night before the meet swim dinner". Heres some of mine

Swim Breakfast: Banana , Vanilla Yogurt

Cheap low fat family dinner: "Skarf": 1 pound ground beef, box of frozen mixed vegetables, package of yellow rice and a cup of white rice.

Brown beef and drain all fat/ boil mixed veggies drain/cook rice with a extra cup of white rice/ combine all mix together. makes a big batch, microwaves great, kids love it it , its cheap and I call it skarf because thats what we end up doing because its good!

The night before dinner: Spaghetti with meat balls:
Sauce:
1 big jar Ragu traditional sauce 28 oz or more. /1 ring of green pepper/ 1 big tablespoon olive oil/good shake of parmesan cheese. Stir cook on low heat add :

Meat balls
1 pound ground beef 80 % lean/two pieces white bread crusts removed and chopped up/1 egg/ 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce/1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs/2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix up in a bowl and form into meat balls/ brown in heavy skillet med heat turning often/I place the skillet in the oven also for about 15 minutes @ 350F carefull to remember that skillets hot and then put the meatballs in the sauce to cook at least another 1/2 hour at a low simmer. That one ring of green pepper adds a good flavor to the sauce.

We like this over any knid of spaghetti noodle.

cowboysurfer
November 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I don't know much about large scale dinners....but I do know that my favorite post-workout snack is a peanut-butter and banana sandwich

lapswimmr
November 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Peanut butter and banana. Elvis favorite and a good eat. Welcome to the USMS swim forum cowboysurfer!

Peter Cruise
November 8th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Didn't Elvis eat that sandwich deep fried?

swimmerlisa
November 8th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Have you ever tried peanut butter and honey? That's my favorite pre workout sandwich.

mmmm...great now i'm hungry!

Leonard Jansen
November 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Vegetarian meal with complete protein:
1) Your favorite rice recipe. (For added protein, make quinoa instead of rice).
2) Corn of some sort.
3) Cuban-style black beans:
a) Sautee a chopped green or red pepper and 2 cloves garlic in a little extra virgin olive oil.
b) add two cans (15 Oz cans) black beans (don't drain juices), 3/4 teaspoon of oregano and 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar (white or cider or even balsamic)
simmer for about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.

Takes less than 30 minutes, start-to-table. Serves about 3 or 4.

-LBJ

swimmerlisa
November 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
leonard that sounds so good. i'm going to have to try to make that for dinner this week. thanks for the tip.

swimmieAvsFan
November 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM
leonard that sounds so good. i'm going to have to try to make that for dinner this week. thanks for the tip.

i agree! i just have 2 questions- first, is it any good after it's been reheated? and second, what on earth is quinoa???
:)

Leonard Jansen
November 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM
i agree! i just have 2 questions- first, is it any good after it's been reheated? and second, what on earth is quinoa???
:)

Yes, it is very good reheated. I usually make extra and then put it in containers for lunch. (I telecommute, so I can just reheat it at home in the microwave.) It is also good with a bit of hot sauce sprinkled on it.

As for quinoa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

-LBJ

Leonard Jansen
November 8th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Here's another Q&D recipe:

This is really good, even if you aren't wild about spinach.

Cook 1 chopped sweet onion and 1-2 diced potatoes in a little oil until the potatoes start to get cooked. Add two diced tomatoes (preferable real tomatoes, not the horrible crap they sell in supermarkets) and cook until the tomatoes get more like a sauce. Add 1 lb of chopped, well-washed, FRESH spinach and take off the heat when the spinach changes color (It should still have a some body; not be a mushy mess.). Serve with rice and another veggie.

You can also add one 8 oz can of tomato sauce to the above if you like it wetter.

-LBJ

swimmerlisa
November 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
that sounds delicious. leonard, i'm hiring you as my personal chef!

The Fortress
November 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM
LJ:

A true gourmande. But I thought we were supposed to be eating yellow/orange and red foods as they are thought to be slightly better for us swimmers than the green foods?

SwimmerLisa:

If we all had personal chefs, we would have more time to swim! Apart from laundry, which we've discussed, I feel like all I do is buy food, prepare food, clean up after food and get asked for more food. So now I no longer like to cook. Post recovery food: Endurox or Chocolate Milk or yogurt.

islandsox
November 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Lord,

I want to thank all of you for making me hungry for things we can't get here on this Caribbean island. The only vegetables are green beans and carrots, occasionally onions (the size of silver dollars). Spinach? Corn? What's that. Sometimes we can get Roma tomatoes or celery that is brown. The basic diet here is chicken, fish, green beans, carrots. Milk comes in from the States once a month. But this is very typical of islands because ALL food has to be shipped in with the exception of a couple of weird fruits they grow. Lettuce? don't like what they sell. It is so limp, it is like eating tree leaves.

Oops, I hijacked this thread with my jealously of what all of you can get. My mouth is watering with all of your recipes.

But back to it: pre-swim race dinner: protein, vegies, fruit. Pre-swim race breakfast: oatmeal and peanut butter.

Post race: pizza and beer.

Donna

poolraat
November 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Post race: pizza and beer.

Why else do we swim?:drink:

SwimStud
November 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
When I was a kid my dad would make us Weetabix (British Cereal)with warm milk and sugar...it was a good start.:banana:

A week or so back I went swimming an hour after Chinese-Take-out...I do NOT reccomend this as a good pre workout fulelling session...:eek:

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 10th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Generally, after swimming, I'll eat anything in massive quantities. Last nihgt was the first time I've swam since August. After that I ate I frozen pizza with added peppers, mushrooms, olives, broccoli(sp), chopped fresh mustard greens and artichole hearts. then a bowl of rocky road ice cream with reese's pieces and walnuts added. Two slices of 12 grain toast with honey sliced banana and raisins. II woke up a t4:30 am starving.

It is a true jy to be able to eat huge amounts of food. During the last months that I've only been rowing & lifting, I've gained 14.74 pounds. My GI doctor is very happy.